Quantcast

Whats the average pay of a bike mechanic.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im looking around for a summer job, and i dont want to work at my old shop cus, well, didnt like the 'atmosphere' and they only paid me 7 bucks an hour and only 3 days a week :eviltongu .

So what should i say yes to, i know 7 is too little but what is a good pay if i can work 5 days a week.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Summer time I make 13$/hour thats canadian but still much better

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh but i;m not a bike mechanic but i don;t think you'll get that much maybe 10$

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
mack said:
Im looking around for a summer job, and i dont want to work at my old shop cus, well, didnt like the 'atmosphere' and they only paid me 7 bucks an hour and only 3 days a week :eviltongu .

So what should i say yes to, i know 7 is too little but what is a good pay if i can work 5 days a week.

Quit whining.

The only shop that's in town doesn't hire.

The only shop that doesnt is a half an hour away.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
JMAC said:
Summer time I make 13$/hour thats canadian but still much better

thats 11 bucks an hour. yeah, id be working labor day and all the holidays, not during slack.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
chicodude01 said:
Quit whining.

The only shop that's in town doesn't hire.

The only shop that doesnt is a half an hour away.

you love telling people not to whine dont you? how old are you any way?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
i used to get $5 a build for BMX and $8 for a MT/Hybrid build. I ended up not making much because i ended up doing everything around the shop like answering the phone and talking with customers. But i got discounts and met alot of nice people.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
you didnt get payed by the hour? you musta sold allot of bikes.

at the shops im looking at ill be doing mostly rental maitnance, wich totally sucks.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
$7/hr?! crap, man, and that's too little? i was getting paid $5.15 an hour when i started my job. 4yrs later, $5.75. working 40 - 50hr weeks in the summer, 28 during school.

but that was at a golf course. and i liked the job, so i didn't really care about pay. though, i would never had said $7 is too little.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
ufdff15 said:
i tried to build 15-20 bikes a day. But that was non-stop with out a lunch break ;0

I did the same thing man, except I would go into the shop around 9 and leave around 12 and ride the rest of the day... oh the way to live it was. I only made 850 dollars all summer and spent it on a new bike too. The discount at the shop is just worth working there.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My old shop payed min. wage starting for people with little or no experience and $8-$13 depending on your experience level. We also paid previous employees and local bro's to build bikes sometimes at $10-12 per bike. If you were good that could make you some good quick money but that was only once in a while and if you tried to cut corners you'd have to redo most of the build for the same $10.

Since you worked at a shop last summer you obviously have some experience and if you have a good reference (which it sounds like you might or might not have) you might ask for $8-9 max. But you better bring it to the table for that $ at your age!

in other words H3114 R35P3C7!!!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Actaully thinking a little more about it. 7USD an hour is good for that and your age. I get 13$CDN but thats ****ing hard labour and I lucked out. Most ppl I know doing anything my age get between 7-12$ an hour CDN I actaully don;t know anyone who makes more than me for sumemr jobs(at my age,17)

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
HA $7 to $9 is great for a bike mech unless your real goo dat it and then you could make maybe $15 tops. so unless your a bike wrench god $7 wasn't all that bad.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
7 an hour is good. I worked at a shop for a while, mostly doing sales. I started at 6.15 I think. And this is in a big shop (when I was hired, money was pouring in), with a lot of volume and in a rich area. After 4 years there (after school/summer work, no work in fall or winter) I was getting $10/hr. I made 6.something for 2 years.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Clicky. Minimum wage in WA is $7.35 as of yesterday, which is, I believe, the highest in the nation. Kansas is the lowest at $2.65, although several states don't have a minimum wage.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Just starting out in a shop, $7-8/hr is good. You get paid for what real-time actual shop experience you have.

I made $15/hr at the last shop I was at with full medical (paid by the shop) and a 401k plan. There was also a bonus program (aka profit sharing) that got everyone from $1-3,000, depending upon number of hours worked. I left before I could get that fat check! When I started there, I got $12/hr part time (95% sales and a little wrenching), but I have over 18 years experience.

bikeguy100k said:
Just starting out in a shop, $7-8/hr is good. You get paid for what real-time actual shop experience you have.

I made $15/hr at the last shop I was at with full medical (paid by the shop) and a 401k plan. There was also a bonus program (aka profit sharing) that got everyone from $1-3,000, depending upon number of hours worked. I left before I could get that fat check! When I started there, I got $12/hr part time (95% sales and a little wrenching), but I have over 18 years experience.
just out of curiosity what shop did you work at? i wrenched at gregg's greenlake for the past 2.5 yrs until i just started driving a demo truck for c-dale on the east coast

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Tully said:
Clicky. Minimum wage in WA is $7.35 as of yesterday, which is, I believe, the highest in the nation. Kansas is the lowest at $2.65, although several states don't have a minimum wage.
right, but just remember that in states without such laws (or with wages below the federal rate) that the federal min. wage law applies.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
JRogers said:
right, but just remember that in states without such laws (or with wages below the federal rate) that the federal min. wage law applies.
Oh, good point--I didn't think about that.

The downside to WA's high minimum wage, though, is that companies can't afford to have as many jobs as in other places, hence our equally high unemployment rate.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I started at 5.50, then went to 8, then to 12 for the last summer I worked there. It totally depends where you are, my shop in maryland couldnt have afforded to pay us any more. Here in CO, or in Cali or any other affluent bike heavy area, you could do much better.