Quantcast

What's the best program to wipe out an operating system?

Trailslug46

Monkey
May 14, 2006
Indiana
We received a laptop from my sister-in-law that is full of bugs and constantly flipping to blue screen and rebooting. It currently has the XP o/s and I would like to wipe it out and start fresh. Has anyone used the dban program, is there a better choice?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We received a laptop from my sister-in-law that is full of bugs and constantly flipping to blue screen and rebooting. It currently has the XP o/s and I would like to wipe it out and start fresh. Has anyone used the dban program, is there a better choice?
Use:

http://ubuntu.com

to create a live CD that you can boot into. You can check/retrieve any files off the drive before you format it.

When ready, just hit install.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Actually, he did say "nightmare", he referenced Windows XP.
XP wasn't fabulous to be sure... but I deal with Linux as an admin on a regular basis and I wouldn't recommend people generally fvck with it unless:

1) They have an aptitude for computer work
2) They don't mind fvcking with it endlessly to make things work
3) Aren't afraid of fvcking around with "config" files
4) Don't mind occasionally screwing the pooch and having to reinstall

YMMV.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This one, makes Ubuntu look terrible.

Sadly, when formatting your not actually erasing anything, just letting the program know its ok to overwrite onto it....... Ghost will actually go through and remove the data.
Yeah - but the OP just wants to "wipe" the drive to "start fresh" - running a Win 7 install and selecting to format the OS drive will work just fine.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If its bluescreening with windows xp due to virus's... It may not, ran across that a few times were the info from the virus remained, and found its way back in when that sector was reused