Quantcast

What's the best way to clean my bike?

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
How should I go about cleaning my bike. I read that you shouldn't spray water directly on any of the parts but rather to wipe off the dirt with a wet towel. What are your suggestions? So far I have only wiped my bike down a few times just to get the major dirt out from my pedals and cranks and stuff.

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
you can clean your bike a few ways:
1. a bucket of water, a sponge, and some lebow grease
make sure yto dry the frameand parts so it doesn't rust
2. some degreaser, a rag, and some bike polish afterwords
3. a hose and a towl

anything that you do with water make sure that your importand parts such as bb and headset are water sealed properly. it could mean major probs if they were to get wet. Obviosly if you use degreaser to make sure you don't wipe of the grease wherit needs to be or if you do to make sure to put grease back on.
I ope this helped some
peace RadRacer84

Wit a mountain bike cleanlyness is next ta impossable, but chu should gets da dirt off what's gonna cause corrosion or wear. Don't be affraids ta wash it down wit chor garden hose, juss don't spray into da barings and dry off all ferris metal what might rust.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I recommend a high pressure system like you use to wash your car. Be sure to spend extra time blasting the crap out of your bottom bracket, headset, and fork rings. For good measure, let your bike sit for two or three weeks before taking it in to the bike shop. That way, eveything will be good and rusted, with lots and lots of grit.

PS. This is only to be used to give yourself the justification of buying a new bike, because your current one is now ruined.

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
I like to use no soap, a bucket with clean water, rags, a small scrub brush, and a hose. I use a nozzle on the hose and turn it to a fine mist just strong enough to rinse off the dirt I loosened with the brush and rags. For while I'm on the road I have a two gallon garden sprayer that I fill with clean water. It's strong enough to rinse away the dirt but doesn't have enough pressure to blast through the bearing seals. It doubles nicely as a portable shower too.