Quantcast

what's the crappiest cd you've bought lately?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
douglas said:
Beastie boys latest cd = waste of money
I'll second that and add that Snoop's R&G CD is a pile of Pharrel phalsetto garbage. I hate the phucking neptunes.

Pitchfork is a great place for honest reviews.... Also peoples lists on Amazon will help ya...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
narlus said:
not exactly the crappiest, but the Isis cd i got (panoptic, or something like that) was a severe disappointmnet coming on the heels of the Red Sparowes cd. i think it's mainly the guy's voice. i'm not a fan of the drano-gargle/metal voice.

Agreed, at least i didnt buy that one, i just bootlegged it. Too slow and droning... maybe good music to fall asleep to, but not the most energetic effort.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
My gf picked up The Mooney Suzuki - Electric Sweat a little while back. I can't listen to it.
i saw those guys open for Thee Headcoats and they were pretty OK. any band which names themselves after the two Can vocalists has at least that going for them.

am curious as to what people think of the following bands:

Ash
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Spiritualized

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I dont buy bad CD's... i usually know exactly what i want, and have listened to it as a sample or something.

BUT, ive borrowed some pretty crappy stuff recently.

Black Label Society..... just about cleaned my hard drive of that crap.

Metallic St Anger...... I know its old now, but i never had the desire to get, and when i did finally borrow, it was deleted within hours.

Avenged Seven Fold.... heard some good stuff on a sampler, borrowed a new cd, and disliked. Guess the singer destroyed his voice so he sings now... instead of screams...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
i saw those guys open for Thee Headcoats and they were pretty OK. any band which names themselves after the two Can vocalists has at least that going for them.

Ash
Spiritualized
I've Ash - 1977. It's o.k. Very power-pop. I had a roommate several years ago from England and they played his school (UEA) every year.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
oly said:
Avenged Seven Fold.... heard some good stuff on a sampler, borrowed a new cd, and disliked. Guess the singer destroyed his voice so he sings now... instead of screams...
I can't stand this band. This stuff is metal/hardcore for kids. Hot topic crowd. Metal should be dangerous not cute and cuddly.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:

Ash
Spiritualized
Ash - Don't know
BRMC - Yes, at least what I've heard, but very much. I always forget about these guys, I need to get one or two of their albums
Spiritualized - A big Yes, especially the album "Ladies and Gentlemen, We are Floating in Space"

I've been buying up CD's recently, and there are two that fell short of what I'd hoped:
Fu Manchu - Start the Machine, I was in the mood for some straight ahead stoner rock, but it's just too straight ahead and uninteresting
Refused - The EP Collection, I LOVE Refused, but there are only a couple tracks on this that I've never heard and I actually like.

Also, I bought the new Reverend Horton Heat and Social Distortion albums a while ago (two bands that seldom disappoint me) and I'm pretty disappointed with both of them, especially the new Social D. Sorry, Mike.

The good ones recently:
International Noise Conspiracy - Survival Sickness, former Refused singer, I like these guys
Emmanuel - Soundtrack to a Headrush, I wasn't sure if I'd get into this album, but I bought it on the strength of "The Willing" and I really like it. I guess it's Emo, but they keep the rock in it pretty well.
Von Bondies - Rare and Raw, I love these guys.
Gomez - Out West, I'm down with Gomez, good live recording.

Hijack Over.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Kornphlake said:
I too have been almost 5 years without buying a CD, I've downloaded 1 mp3 for myself and maybe 10 for my wife, all off legitimate sites. My problem is that I just don't like anything I hear on the radio enough to buy a CD, actually I spend more time searching for stations playing something I do like than I do listening to music. I'm not the type to just go out and buy music I've never heared just to see if I'll like it.

I think good music stopped in 1995, there was some mediocre stuff through 2000, the last few years will be remembered as worse than the '70s musically, at least for the mainstream stuff.
wow i cant fathom thinking like that, there is sooooooooooooo much good stuff out, its just that none of it is played on the radio, you gotta get underground a bit...man i dont know what id do without some of the new stuff...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
narlus said:
mainstream stuff is never a good way to properly judge a decade's worth of music, but the 70s was a very productive time. forget about the disco and cheese; the early 70s was marked by some huge psych and rock stuff, and punk washed away the fallow years of '75 and '76.
Right, there was alot of good stuff that came out of the 70's but most people don't know anything about it, they just remember the mainstream "disco and cheese." In 20 years my kids will only know about Linkin Park, Nsync, American Idol stars, maybe some other crap music that I can't stand to listen to long enough to even figure out who sings it. If that's what the media is keeping alive now, they'll continue to keep it alive for the next 20 years. Again my kids will think that the last decade was noting but bands like Green Day, 311, Bare Naked Ladies, Hootie and the Blowfish, No Doubt... I imagine there will be those who still like these kinds of bands in 20 years, just as there are those who still like the Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Bob Marley and Elton John today. The majority will think today's music is all "Boybands and cheese" 20 years from now though.

i do find myself getting more and more reissues of stuff, which is kind of a drag, but there are still good things to be had. if yr friends have lame taste, seek out stuff on yr own. good sources:

college radio (depends on the area)
mags (big takeover, comes w/ a smile, magnet)
websites (pitchforkmedia, perfectsoundforever, fakejazz)

maybe my perspective is warped because i'm constantly on the prowl for new music, but i can't ever see treading water or getting out of the pool completely.
Whenever the local stations claim they're playing something that they last heared on college radio, that's an automatic cue to change the station. I don't like unpolished music, I don't like screaming, I don't like guitar solos that sound like somebody raking a fork across the strings with the distortion pedal maxxed out and I don't like lyrics that make a feeble attempt at poetry or irony or whatever and come across as being babble. I guess that makes me sound like a country western fan, but I'm not. I just don't "get" alot of the obscure stuff. In the case of a magazine or website, even college radio to an extent it's still media telling you what's good music and what you should like.

Maybe my perspective is warped because I pretty much quit listening to music when I graduated highschool 8 years ago, I never got into the type of music the radio stations were playing in Utah (mostly hip hop and Top 10,) where I went to college, and there wasn't a college radio station. By the time I moved back to california I was pretty disgusted with radio all together, add to that the general lack of taste most of the San Diego DJ's have and you see my predicament.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kornphlake said:
add to that the general lack of taste most of the San Diego DJ's have and you see my predicament.
When almost all radio stations are owned by just a few corporations do you think that DJ actually get to select the music? I thought programming managers started taking over the industry back in the late 70's.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
narlus said:
not exactly the crappiest, but the Isis cd i got (panoptic, or something like that) was a severe disappointmnet coming on the heels of the Red Sparowes cd. i think it's mainly the guy's voice. i'm not a fan of the drano-gargle/metal voice.
One that I bought sort of recently that positively made me angry it was so bad was Superjoint Ritual. What do you get when you throw Phil Anselmo and his bandmates/heroin buddies (allegedly) into a studio together? One of the worst metal records ever. Bad songwriting, bad vocals, bad production, etc. The worst part is they probably think it's the best work they've ever done.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Lex said:
One that I bought sort of recently that positively made me angry it was so bad was Superjoint Ritual. What do you get when you throw Phil Anselmo and his bandmates/heroin buddies (allegedly) into a studio together? One of the worst metal records ever. Bad songwriting, bad vocals, bad production, etc. The worst part is they probably think it's the best work they've ever done.
HAHA..... Ive never thought of that record that way, but yea..... pretty good description.... i still like to crank it on the freeway, but its probably one that gets put on the bottom the CD rack,...kinda like System Of A Down......

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Westy said:
When almost all radio stations are owned by just a few corporations do you think that DJ actually get to select the music? I thought programming managers started taking over the industry back in the late 70's.
Fair enough, at least 10 years ago I at least somewhat agreed with the exec's tastes in music.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I go big audio dynamite II the other day (99 cent Bin) not as good as their first album
also got the new Sufjan Stevens CD which makes up for the loss of a dollar