Quantcast

What's the deal Shimano XT brakes?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
After MANY problems with both my sets of Avid Elixirs, Ive decided it was time to try something else and the XT's seems to suit my needs.

Will start by trying them on my trail bike and if I like 'em enough I'll order another set later for the DH sled.Im buying from Chain Reaction but Im not too sure what Im getting for that price.Im hoping someone here has already bought a set on CR or perhaps someone will be able to enlighten me.

here's the link : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23049

I guess it doesn't comes with rotors and hoses at that price, am I right?

Will it be easy to find adaptors to make them fit anywhere with rotors of any sizes? I see the XTR comes in either IS or Post Mount but the XT doesnt???Whats the deal with that ?

Thanks!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Shimano has adapters/rotors for those in 160, 180 and 203mm.

I'm curious; why order from the UK instead of locally? (nothing against CR, just wondering) Call up somebody like GoRide and have them ship you everything you need to bolt up and ride. :thumb:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Shimano has adapters/rotors for those in 160, 180 and 203mm.

I'm curious; why order from the UK instead of locally? (nothing against CR, just wondering) Call up somebody like GoRide and have them ship you everything you need to bolt up and ride. :thumb:

Well Im getting a bunch of tires, shoes and jerseys at a REALLY good deal...plus I get free shipping on it so, why not ? ;-)

Thanks guys!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
im just curious as to what kind of problems your running into with the elixr's, anything serious (ie, send them in for warranty) or are you just not liking the feel

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
im just curious as to what kind of problems your running into with the elixr's, anything serious (ie, send them in for warranty) or are you just not liking the feel
Wow so much to say about the Elixir actually...Sent both of my sets out for warranty, everything on it was replaced and straight back from Sram, had to bleed them...again and again and again to a point where its almost every other ride..but I wish it was only that!On SEVERAL occasions I would completely loose power, out of nowhere resulting in crashes.Sticky, Floppy , pulsating levers,sticky pistons, cannot hang the bike upside down ( I was told by a SRAM tech you arent suppose to do that anyway!!! uhhhh Im sorry say what?!?! ) how am I suppose to hang my bike on the lift? What happens when you are riding down steep chute? or hiking a bike? Never had to worry about that with any other brakes before. I was also told by them they are tricky to bleed but once done properly they work great.Well Ive been bleeding dick brakes for nearly 10 years, tried every little tricks I could read on the internet to get the best bleed out of them but even that wouldnt do it... Sure I could get them to work OK for a ride or two but then something would ultimately **** up on me again and that applies to both sets...

I could go on and on , Ive had too many problems with those, like many other riders Ive met.Seems they work great for the normal guy but not for me anyway.I ride almost everyday of the year, I had 80+ days in Whistler and they are NOT reliable...Im sure someone will come here and tell me I dont know how to bleed blablablabla... Im giving up, tried everything, Ive wasted to much time ****ing around and getting all pissed because of these...Im out, have fun with your brakes is my answer to that ! ;-)

The only thing I liked about the Elixir is when they came out of the box, looked good on the bike, felt awesome for a few rides and it went all downhill from that point.

Anyhow , thanks for the info gus on the XT's

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah avids are a real dick around, you'll be happy with the XT's. Back when I was on old shimano hydros (saints, deores, whatever) I never had to bleed them more often than the first time I bought them. They'd just work the same day in day out, regardless of weather or storage direction.

Avid owners will say you just have to bleed them right, but you have to do it fairly often - sometimes the levers will come to the bar - sometimes they'll leak fluid out of random orifices in the lever, the list just goes on. I tried every avid brake out and settled back on new saints and am quite happy, feeling a little stupid for having strayed.

Also, the reason the XTR's come in IS mount is because that is lighter (and xc riders using 160mm rotors can direct mount). All the other new shimano brakes are post-mount (same as hayes/avid etc, adaptors are compatible).

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I read somewhere that you should still flush shimano brakes every year or so because mineral oil is not hygroscopic, so any moisture that might get into the brake (and no seal is perfect,) has the potential to cause corrosion.

Not that I mind, my 4-pot Saints are AWESOME.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I read somewhere that you should still flush shimano brakes every year or so because mineral oil is not hygroscopic, so any moisture that might get into the brake (and no seal is perfect,) has the potential to cause corrosion.
What is a microscopic bit of water going to corrode? The one tiny piece of stainless steel in the lever reservoir, the aluminum caliper, or the plastic piston it comes in contact with? ;)

If you get an appreciable amount of water in your line, the off gassing would be the biggest problem.

Just an fyi to anyone getting shimano brakes. But hayes adapters. They fit and the shimano ones are a ripoff.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I've got the older style XT's, when I got mine off CRC they came as a complete set, pre bled with rotors and all. The only trouble I've had is probably contaminating the pads when bleeding (my fault). I've shortened hoses, put a longer hose on when I cut one too short on my DH bike etc etc, they're really easy to work with.

What is a microscopic bit of water going to corrode? The one tiny piece of stainless steel in the lever reservoir, the aluminum caliper, or the plastic piston it comes in contact with? ;)

If you get an appreciable amount of water in your line, the off gassing would be the biggest problem.

Just an fyi to anyone getting shimano brakes. But hayes adapters. They fit and the shimano ones are a ripoff.
If water gets into a brake line, it tends to collect at the bottom (i.e. the caliper), which is where the heat happens. This can cause the water to vaporize and create gas in the system. That's all theory, though, since I've never had it happen.

As Udi said, my previous-generation Shimanos never gave me any surprises. Sometimes the pistons would get sticky and require cleaning and lubing, but that's the extent of it. I'd flush the lines with new oil every year or two because it seemed like something I should do, but the oil was always clean and it never made a difference to the performance. I just picked up some M810 Saints and I'm hoping for the same reliability with more power.

kidwoo is right that Shimano adapters are overpriced. Most rotors and nearly all adapters are compatible across brands, so you may be able to use your existing hardware.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If water gets into a brake line, it tends to collect at the bottom (i.e. the caliper), which is where the heat happens. This can cause the water to vaporize and create gas in the system. That's all theory, though, since I've never had it happen.
That's what I said :p

I've had it happen in hayes brakes........never shimano though.

Mineral fluid tis the way.