Quantcast

What's the deal with bike messengers?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is there some unwritten (or written) law that states you must ride an 80's Italian lugged frame fixed gear with no brakes and cut bars?

I haven't worked downtown in a while, and maybe it's just Portland, but EVERY bike messenger is on one. They are all old school frames, cut down bars, fixed gear and not even an "oh sh!t" brake.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it just seems strange to me. Are you not a "real" messenger unless you fit this category? please someone explain this to me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jimmydean said:
Is there some unwritten (or written) law that states you must ride an 80's Italian lugged frame fixed gear with no brakes and cut bars?

I haven't worked downtown in a while, and maybe it's just Portland, but EVERY bike messenger is on one. They are all old school frames, cut down bars, fixed gear and not even an "oh sh!t" brake.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it just seems strange to me. Are you not a "real" messenger unless you fit this category? please someone explain this to me.

You're forgetting the fixed snear, the cigarette and the trucker's hat too.

It's the new metrosexual urban warrior fad, be a messenger and look like a white trash tool on an old skool track bike. I think it migrated out of SF up to Portland.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I seriously think it's a style thing. It's like being in highschool and not wearing the cool clothes if you arent on one. I think they concept is pretty cool though...why guys ride fixie's around dangerous drivers i have no idea though...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I figured it must be an image thing, but I guess I have never understood that "living up to the stereotype" idea anyway.

I guess I should go bald, yet grow a long pony tail, wear Teva sandles with wool socks and have a large selection of geek only humor/free technology related promoition shirts like most of the people I work with. Since that seems to be the linux geek look that's going these days :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jimmydean said:
I guess I should go bald, yet grow a long pony tail, wear Teva sandles with wool socks and have a large selection of geek only humor/free technology related promoition shirts like most of the people I work with. Since that seems to be the linux geek look that's going these days :D
er, might want to rethink that one :cool:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I wish I lived in a city that had bike messengers. I think they keep people in cars on their toes and more aware of bikes on the streets.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
jimmydean said:
I figured it must be an image thing, but I guess I have never understood that "living up to the stereotype" idea anyway.

Oh, God, my main focus is to NOT look like my co-workers! Huge belly-fat, no! Pasty white skin, no! Bad hair, no!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
stinkyboy said:
I think they keep people in cars on their toes and more aware of bikes on the streets.
They don't, I used to be one. Actually many of my fellow co-workers constantly violated traffic laws and would get pissed it they got hurt or ticketed. It took my about 3 months to figure it out. I found I was breaking a ton of traffic laws and putting myself in constant danger.

I think in the end I just decided to work out my issues without putting my life at risk in daily traffic.....D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stinkyboy said:
I wish I lived in a city that had bike messengers. I think they keep people in cars on their toes and more aware of bikes on the streets.
I know a while back Portland was rated as the most bike firendly city in the US. It had to do with bike lanes, bike parking, mass trasit fittings (there are nice bike hangers on the newer trains), and a few other things. Portland is a good city for bikes for sure, the "yellow bike" idea was almost a good idea too (free bike for public use all over downtown until people kept them).

One real nice thing is that Forest Park has a great trail system and is just outside of downtown. There is also a nice shuttle trail that runs from the zoo into downtown. You can ride the train to the zoo, take the elevator up and bomb down, then get back on the train for another run.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I see a Coors Light billboard with a "bike messenger", you know it's a fashion trend.

P.S. I was a NYC bike messenger a hundred years ago. I rode a road bike with bar ends shifters and Weinmann Concave rims on Campy NR hubs. I was so NOT COOL.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fixies are fun and vintage bikes are cool. But messenger/fashion plates with bad attitudes are just lame, plus they all look the same while spouting off about individual expression. And yeah, here in SF there is probably more backlash from drivers pissed off at stupid messengers than any advantage from increased awareness.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just like with anything, there is going to be a "look" to go along with it. Skateboarders all look alike, punk rock kids all look alike, and bike messenger tools all look alike.
IMO, anyone who can be defined by a lable, ie. Skater, Punk, Rockabilly Guy, Hippy or Bike Messenger, is really just trying to fit in because they're not original enough to have people like them for who they actually are.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've noticed here that if someone rides a fixie, it means he/ she rides the same type of bike you mention (old steel, lugged, no brakes, cut bars), and dresses in a particular manner (cropped pants [even guys], t-shirt that's too small, and a cycling cap). for a couple people the dress came after the acquisition of the bike. so i blame the need to fit an image.

a fixie in an urban environment seems like a stupid idea to me now. i've advised a few people against it, and at the least, encouraged them to have a front brake. nobody listens.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
IMO, anyone who can be defined by a lable, ie. Skater, Punk, Rockabilly Guy, Hippy or Bike Messenger, is really just trying to fit in because they're not original enough to have people like them for who they actually are.
that's really funny stuff, coming from a military guy.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
that's really funny stuff, coming from a military guy.
Thats a forced "look". Not quite the same thing. And Ive been out of the military for a while now. Keep up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't get me wrong, I love the old lugged frames and think it would be cool to build one up for a commuter.

But I have to agree with the idea of a fixie in the city with no brakes being a bad idea. Guess I'm not hardcore enough to understand.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Everybody in Portland has a fixie and that same style... not just the messengers. Portland is just so indie; I wish I was cool enough to live there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
Thats a forced "look". Not quite the same thing. And Ive been out of the military for a while now. Keep up.
well i was gonna type 'ex-military' but you guys never really leave, do you?

agreed it's not quite the same thing, but still joining the group (and all it comes w/ ) is still voluntary.

everywhere you look people dress to fit into their particular clique.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
well i was gonna type 'ex-military' but you guys never really leave, do you?

agreed it's not quite the same thing, but still joining the group (and all it comes w/ ) is still voluntary.
You're comparing apples and parakeets. Joining the military (for me anyway) was just a way to get some good work experience and money for school. I didnt do it because I thought the hot military chicks would dig me more, or because its a popular look to have. Is it?
There were real, tangible benefits, and the "look" of it all is just something that had to be maintained and dealt with. Not a perk.
And yes, some of us, when we're out....we're out. I wouldnt recommend joining to anyone except maybe someone with legal issues. It sucks.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
jimmydean said:

I have a good friend that's a mesenger in Seattle. That's what he and everyone that works for his company ride, but not by choice. They actually ride company bikes, worked on by a company mechanic. It's a company policy thing due to insurance. if the get a flat, they are not even aloowed to change it. They just radio in and they are brought another bike.

It's kind of weird....it's like the bike messenger world meets Corporate America. Like mixing water and oil!!!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
You're comparing apples and parakeets. Joining the military (for me anyway) was just a way to get some good work experience and money for school. I didnt do it because I thought the hot military chicks would dig me more, or because its a popular look to have. Is it?
There were real, tangible benefits, and the "look" of it all is just something that had to be maintained and dealt with. Not a perk.
And yes, some of us, when we're out....we're out. I wouldnt recommend joining to anyone except maybe someone with legal issues. It sucks.
:stupid:

That is why I went in. It paid for school (or most of it), I got to go to some cool places, it got me out of the hell hole of a town I was born and raised in, and it also kicked me in the ass to figure out what I was going to do.

I did go back in for a while becuse I did miss some of it, but there is a lot more that sucks about it than there is cool about it. I am out for good now and I no longer recomend people to join with the way the military is run these days.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love riding my fixie in the city (SF). I've got a front brake but try not to use it. It's not about being "hardcore" it's just one more kind of riding, and the simplicity is pretty cool, especially when contrasted with some of my other bikes that constantly need work. It's a great way to get a decent workout from a short ride like a commute and it builds a whole new set of skills. Frankly I think it's easier to justify a fixed gear in the city than it is to justify a single speed in the woods but to each his own.

And I really screw up my fashion statement by wearing a helmet.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
riverside73 said:
I have a good friend that's a mesenger in Seattle. That's what he and everyone that works for his company ride, but not by choice. They actually ride company bikes, worked on by a company mechanic. It's a company policy thing due to insurance. if the get a flat, they are not even aloowed to change it. They just radio in and they are brought another bike.

It's kind of weird....it's like the bike messenger world meets Corporate America. Like mixing water and oil!!!

Darn... that would be nice.
Back in the day ('95 ish) I was a messanger in Boston and everyone there already had the whole track bike - no brakes- truck driver hat look. I was the college boy "loser" that actually wore a helmet.
Good thing too, as I got hit 5 times in 1 summer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When I courier for a shipping place downtown I ride my XC bike with slicks (it's already my commuter) and my huge chrome bag (albeit usually sans a helmet in the winter)...most of the messengers here abide by the trendy dress code. I nearly got a job at the local company, but instead of hiring someone they decided to switch a driver to a bike...bastids.

Any tips on starting up indy and undercutting the competition? I can ride faster than all of them... :p

BurlyShirley said:
You're comparing apples and parakeets...
:stupid: Although there are sartorial cults even in the military...

blue said:
When I courier for a shipping place downtown I ride my XC bike with slicks (it's already my commuter) and my huge chrome bag (albeit usually sans a helmet in the winter)...most of the messengers here abide by the trendy dress code. I nearly got a job at the local company, but instead of hiring someone they decided to switch a driver to a bike...bastids.

Any tips on starting up indy and undercutting the competition? I can ride faster than all of them... :p
For starters, put the helmet on, fool! :rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
Well, if you not carrying a 40oz, yall a bunch of pvssies.
He makes a point. :p

I'd wear a helmet in the winter, but it interferes with the nice toasty beanie on my head. Assumed risk. I know. I've already had two concussions...I think if I couriered full time I'd wear a helmet, but for now it's the occasional job+commuting 10 blocks.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
this fixie "movement" annoys me more and more every time i see another TX4000 member riding one, brakeless and helmetless.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If this makes anyone feel better, I noticed the highest incidence of crashes during Critical Mass are track bikes; the lowest, of course, freeride bikes.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
jimmy-I hear yah.

I have to admit that the amount of fixies in this city is pretty insane. It's even seeping into the high schools. I am one of the few kids at my school that now has a single speed. There are a few other kids that have fixed gears. I just built my track bike and have been riding it around and its just as fun as riding my freeride bike in the woods. I am attracted to the simplicity of it, and it's fun as sh1t.

Also, I am pretty sure that riding fixed has been pretty popular in Portland for a while. I don't think there is necessarily any more fixed gears on the rode than there was a few years ago. I am seeing more now that it is spring, thats for sure.:cool:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
jimmydean said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the old lugged frames and think it would be cool to build one up for a commuter.

But I have to agree with the idea of a fixie in the city with no brakes being a bad idea. Guess I'm not hardcore enough to understand.
"Playing" in traffic on a fixed gear is one of my favorite pasttimes on a bike. Currently my fixie is doing duty as an SS mountain bike, but for a while I rode only fixed and loved it.

Something about riding one of those bikes that just makes normal things way too much fun.

I always ran an "oh ****" brake, but I found that I used it less and less as I got better at riding. When starting out I think it is vital, but for the experienced rider it isn't doing a whole lot. You get a bit of a 6th sense of traffic movement and you are always looking at least half a block ahead of where you are riding.

I agree that it is a look and a fashion statement in many ways, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

The cutoff pants just kind of happen. I liked to ride in pants as I usually went out at night. At some point I got holes in the legs and just cut them short or rolled them up above the calves. Never wore a cycling cap though, in the winter it was a beanie and a hooded sweatshirt. And of course no lights, all black clothing.

The Ito

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The look & style of bike is very much in fashion in NYC & SF... I assume other places as well. Personally, it's not so much my flavor...

There definitely is a certain appeal to those types of bicycles, but as a one-bike guy, that's not the one bike I would ever choose... maybe 3rd or 4th.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
fixed gear? yes.

front brake? yes.

hipster/emo look crap? no.

been riding on the road nearly completely fixed for about two years now, and love it. commuter bike and "good" road bike are now fixed. the geared stuff got sold off. very, very fun. far moreso than my geared road bike was. it's pretty light, and pretty dang fast. put in a bit over 30 miles last saturday, on the way to brunch with the girly. urrrrrrp.

i went brakeless for a while, but then kept having those thoughts. you know the ones. "hmmmm, i've broken chains on my mtbs before........" brakeless with a broken chain in traffic would be the suck, methinks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jimmydean said:

a p.o.s. like you've described is less likely to be ripped off while they're inside of a building than some hi-zoot bike.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Houston hosted the World Bike Messenger Championships a couple of years back. A lot of people fit in this category. I think i saw one nice geared Ti bike (everyone snickered at him.)
I’ve also noticed a lot of our local bike messengers do the same, bull horned bars are now the style now. It’s style.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Here in Richmond VA, EVERYONE rides a fixed gear. its quite amazing. Lots and lots of students at VCU have fixed gear bikes, and not all of them even ride them. You'll see kids walking their bikes to class with the tight pants, studded belt, tight shirt and little truckers hat or cycling cap. They lock up their bikes, go to class, come outside, unlock their bikes and walk them home.

It really makes NO sense to me. My roommate is really gung ho on the fixed gear thing and races track. He has a fixed gear commuter, and if I am going somewhere with him, its annoying as crap because he is so much slower than I am. If we are on a dead straightaway it fine, but if we are coming to a stop light or stop sign, he starts slowing down WAAAAAAAY before I do. I end up having to wait with him because he is "anticipating" traffic and other stuff because he can't just stop at a stop sign like I can.

There are quite a few track racers around here, but I find most of the people hilarious because they don't even know what track racing is, and they have these bikes they never ride just to fit in and be "cool"