New York
scrublover said:
fixed gear? yes.

front brake? yes.

hipster/emo look crap? no.
I'll second all of that.
Oh, and lugged steel? Yes.
Italian, nope.
And my bars may be funky, but they aint cropped.
Oh yeah, I always wear a helmet.
Here's my fix in scorcher mode.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
lol I can't believe fixed gears are an actual trend. That's awesome.

You guys ever catch a pantleg in a fixie drivetrain? It's not fun.

Whatever, if they're going to be cool, let them. What does it matter to you?

I've got a fixie, I can wheelie it miles on end, and can unscrew the rear cog whenever I want because the lock tite/lock ring idea doesn't work. Do any fixie kids know what sewups are? There might be 5 "fixie kids" in my town, and they all pretty much suck at riding. Oh well, they'll never have the balls/legs to really ride their bikes. The same could be said for a lot of people with FR/DH bikes, too. But the fixie movement is way cooler than the beach cruisers of days past.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ito said:
When starting out I think it is vital, but for the experienced rider it isn't doing a whole lot. You get a bit of a 6th sense of traffic movement and you are always looking at least half a block ahead of where you are riding.
Riding in the crazy city streets is always something i'll look back fondly upon doing. But i'm so glad i found a renewed interest in cycling thru mt. biking. i prefer the fresh air and peaceful tranquility of the trails versus the car exhaust and conflict of the city.

One thing i could say of why someone would ride a fixie with no brake, is it would discourage theivery. Who really wants to steal such a bike for even i personally wouldn't want to ride one, and i'd be able to versus the average joe...

i used to really love riding stealth (no lights) during the super late hours in the city.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
bikenweed said:
You guys ever catch a pantleg in a fixie drivetrain? It's not fun.

QUOTE]

nope. i'm either in shorts (no problem there) or if wearing pants that flap around enough to get caught, i just roll the drivetrain side leg up a ways. a half manpri i guess, since it's only on the one side.

either that or i go for the total dork look (believe me, it ain't a tretch for me) of having the velcro reflective pantleg strap thing to keep it tight and non-flopping.