Quantcast

Whats the deal with the 4 inch mode on manitous??

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
my guess is that when you crank down the travel, it compresses the spring and i guess that it isnt good for the spring when it is compressed and then you beat the crap of it, as opposed to having a short spring where there is no pressure on the spring

Morgan

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
It uses a tab that holds the spring compressed and makes the fork firm for climbing. Its not great to ride on because the tab isnt very strong and if you pound on it sooner or later it will break off.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
as was said earlier, there are these two aluminum tabs that slide out of the rebound shaft and prevent full rebound.

they, if subjected to heavy rebounds will break off.

it's a really crappy design for aggressive riding, but still a very light weight, clever system.

go back to tthe post you made earlier and look at the first picture i posted: imagine replacing the home-cut pipe with two small "wings" that slide out of slots on the rebound shaft. they, in effect do EXACTLY what the added pipe does. only the pipe wont break.

BTW, i assume the Jumper fork is simply a Flick with a shorter rebound shaft. Really simple, but allows so much tunability. they should sell a jumper kit for the Flick.

eric1bss

Chimp
Apr 1, 2004
North VA
I always run mine in 4" and it has not given me too many problems. One of my wings has a small chip in it, but they still work and they are easy to replace. And I like it with the heavy spring, it's like rigid, but just enough to take the edge off.