Quantcast

Whats the difference between DH goggles and ski goggles?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Since I've just recently gotten into DH racing this past season, I'm still working on acquiring all the (expensive:think:) gear involved in racing, and I was just wondering if I could just use my ski goggles (Dragon Rouge) with a lighter or clear lens instead of spending another $100 on a set of dh goggles. Is there any problem with doing this? They fit with my helmet fine but theyre just a little too dark, this is where the lighter lens comes in. What do you guys think?

These are the ones I want to use:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm don't know $hit about dragon but if they fit rock'em. Change the lenses if you think they are dark.

I'm a Smith guy, the frames change a bit from ski to moto(MX,bike,snomo) but not a ton. I am sure as brain buckets get more popular with skis and boards the products will streamline to cut costs and cross sell lenses.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Since when do goggles cost $100?

You can get a fine pair of DH/MX goggles on ebay for $30 shipped. Oakley, Fox, etc etc.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
One of the main differences is the lens profile. MX/bike goggles have a flat shape for running tear-offs. Snow/Ski goggles are convex to bead water/snow to the edges for acuity.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
They will work very well assuming the lighting is correct for your lens. Ski lenses are typically a double lens with higher quality material/ coatings designed to prevent fogging. A replacement lens for your ski goggles will run you 60 and up assuming it is anything other than the standard persimmon.

A single lexan lens moto goggle will run 3-5 bucks for a replacement. An additional benefit is that it will have provisions for tear offs.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
On top of the reasons mentioned above, if you do a muddy race, you will probally scratch the hell out of your lenses. Cheap moto goggles usually have cheap clear replacement lenses.

-KT

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
oakley O frames are cheap and real comfortable if your looking for something less than 50 bucks. There are a bunch of moto goggles out there that are supper cheap, the reason being, the lenses don't cost sh¡t to make...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
The only difference I am aware of is that snow goggles are 'double glazed'. As in the double layer insulation stops the inside fogging up.

Moto/DH goggles are single layered.

Ski goggles perhaps have a better UV protection added?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So basically I should get moto goggles because replacement ski lenses are too expensive to risk in dh? I just checked, lenses for my goggles run $40-50, so I guess I'll just save it and buy some moto goggles in the spring! Thanks for the input!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The only difference I am aware of is that snow goggles are 'double glazed'. As in the double layer insulation stops the inside fogging up.

Moto/DH goggles are single layered.

Ski goggles perhaps have a better UV protection added?
^ all of this
ski goggles also dont have grippers on the strap to grip your helmet (in some cases)
your moto goggles dont? every pair ive had for the past 11 years has had silicone to prevent slipping

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snow goggles have soft coatings designed for cold, humid conditions. They will be ruined in short order in the dirt. Trust me.

Chainlove regularly has decent Smith and Spy MX goggles for $20-30.
The $30 Smith ones are really nice.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I run snow lenses/goggles in the wet/cold. It helps with fogging. Here in sunny CO that doesn't happen very often. Otherwise like most have said, stick to mx/mtb goggles or else your snow goggles will get jacked in the dirt. I usually go thru 2 mx lenses a year doing DH.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I run snow goggles exclusively. I dont have the problems with fogging that I do with moto goggles. That being said they do scratch easily