Quantcast

What's the difference between irony and bad luck?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
What's the difference between irony and bad luck?

I am having a hard time with this, what are your thoughts on the difference(s)?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hmmm, could irony possibly be when bad luck isn't bad? But then again, there is bad irony, or at least I tend to think so.

I see a Venn diagram between the two, but I can't figure out what could be in the center.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
bikenweed said:
Hmmm, could irony possibly be when bad luck isn't bad? But then again, there is bad irony, or at least I tend to think so.

I see a Venn diagram between the two, but I can't figure out what could be in the center.
Ask Alannis Morissette....or rather, don't.

Having a hard time coming up with an example that doesn't involve a fundamentalist muslim terrorist being beaten to death by a bunch of virgins before he sets off his bomb, or something to that effect...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think of irony as bad timing of an event that might be desirable at another time. I don't think there is ever a good time for your own bad luck.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Irony implies a connection between two occurances. Bad luck is just one sh1tty occurance.

For example-

You are going for a new jump and you crash- bad luck

Before you hit the jump you make fun of your buddy for being a pussy for not hitting it and then you crash and he gets to laugh at you- irony

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The definition of irony is when the outcome of a situation isn't what you expected it to be.

Bad luck just means you get screwed.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Bicyclist said:
The definition of irony is when the outcome of a situation isn't what you expected it to be.

Bad luck just means you get screwed.
:stupid:
"The definition of irony is when the outcome of a situation isn't what you expected it to be."

...; commonly relating to what was just being discussed (or something else) (imo) .

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A good definition of irony is Alanis singing that song about irony and not a single example she gives in it is actually ironic.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Bicyclist said:
Exactly. My english teacher is anal about irony (and juxtaposition and hubris) so I know the definition well. So irony could have a good outcome as well, whereas bad luck is just when something bad happens.