Quantcast

What's the difference between the Mission and Motion Control on the Totem?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I can't seem to find which forks come with which damping and what the difference even is between the two. Anyone care to shed some light?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't think they offer the MoCo models aftermarket. Mission Control is the better/ more sophisticated damper. All the different spring options come with MiCo.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Gotcha...so the MiCo is what you get if you buy an aftermarket fork and the other is what they put on completes...

Is there a way to swap out the damper?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, plenty of completes come with the nicer MiCo fork. The MoCo ones are just a cheaper option some manufacturers choose to put on their more budget minded completes.

Swapping the damper is as easy as buying a new one and dropping it in.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the MoCo unit is a bunch cheaper/ easier to make. But the MiCo one performs better. It's a budget versus performance thing.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
What HAB said. The MiCo damper is nicer, but spendier. The MoCo damper works very well for how simple it is, and is cheaper. You basically lose some small bump sensitivity and fine tune adjustment range. The replacement one you can by that fits the Domain will not fit the Totem.

Should be $50-100 for a damper, depending on which one you want. Super easy to swap in and out - just got to order one from a shop or online place. Getting the MoCo damper to put in a MiCo fork may take a bit longer than normal, since it's an OEM fork part, not standard aftermarket replacement stuff.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I bought Motion Control Pikes and BoXXers aftermarket.
Yes, those are available aftermarket. The difference is that those forks came out before MiCo. So there has never been a MiCo Pike, and only a MiCo Boxxer this year.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
What HAB said. The MiCo damper is nicer, but spendier. The MoCo damper works very well for how simple it is, and is cheaper. You basically lose some small bump sensitivity and fine tune adjustment range. The replacement one you can by that fits the Domain will not fit the Totem.

Should be $50-100 for a damper, depending on which one you want. Super easy to swap in and out - just got to order one from a shop or online place. Getting the MoCo damper to put in a MiCo fork may take a bit longer than normal, since it's an OEM fork part, not standard aftermarket replacement stuff.
If anything...I would be putting the MiCo damper in a MoCo fork. I guess I could just run it and see how it feels. Haven't actually ridden a Totem yet, but planning on running it with my new build. Looking to get a used one and rebuilding it.