Quantcast

What's the difference?

Casey

Chimp
Nov 24, 2004
Looking at my bike the other day, I got to thinkin' (rarely a good thing!). . .what exactly is the difference between an XC bike and a freeride bike? I know the freeride bike is supposed to be able to handle jumps, etc. But I remember the guy at my LBS who sold me my bike (Trek 4500) telling me that they use the same frame on my bike that they do on their higher end bikes. So, is it just a question of wheels/components? Forgive the stupid question, but I really don't know. TIA.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It depends a lot on the bike, but a true FR bike will have significantly different geometry. It should also be built stronger, or at least reinforced, to take the abuse of free riding. Components are also a bigger deal, especially cranks, fork, and wheels.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
your trek is most likely the same as higher end frames designed for XC riding, and it may very well handle some freeriding, but generally freeride specific frames are much stronger, have lower top tubes, slacker head angles and reinforcements to allow for longer travel forks. On top of the differances in frames the wheelset will be heavier and stronger, the tires will be wider, the stem will be shorter, the cranks will be stronger, the pedals will be flat, the saddle will be softer, brake rotors will be bigger, really about the only thing in common between the two are the shifters and derailurs and the basic form of a bike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Whoever sold you the 4500 BSed you on their "higher end" crap, they only use that frame up to the 4900. Anything above that is not the same frame (IE, 6500, 8000, etc). Trek doesn't really make a hardtail FR...they used to, the Bruiser, but not anymore, everything Trek HT is an XC machine.

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
yeah freeride bikes are a lot different than XC bikes...like many people have said before geometry, frame material, and components differ the most. Also a freeride bike will have more travel front and back (if it is rear suspension)
I know a guy I ride with who has a P3, he slaps some deemax on the bike, a Jr T, and some DH tires and he freerides with then he puts an old sherman back on.. and does XC and urban with it.

Just a thought

o by the way here is a sexy freeride bike click it

later

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Casey said:
Looking at my bike the other day, I got to thinkin' (rarely a good thing!). . .what exactly is the difference between an XC bike and a freeride bike? I know the freeride bike is supposed to be able to handle jumps, etc. But I remember the guy at my LBS who sold me my bike (Trek 4500) telling me that they use the same frame on my bike that they do on their higher end bikes. So, is it just a question of wheels/components? Forgive the stupid question, but I really don't know. TIA.
i think you're just confusing freeride with "higher end".
Many companies sell the same frame as a complete bike with components that determine the overall price of the bike. The "higher end" build sometimes might just be more expensive lighter and usually not necessarily durable components.
Trek doesn't have a freeride bike that i know of. They are centered around XC.
A prototypical freeride bike is one that weighs around 40 lbs, is a frame that is of a sturdier build be it a hard tail or full suspension, if it's fully suspended usually toting at least 6 inches of travel, with coil shocks capable of taking a beating. The geometry of the bike will be better fit to descend than climb with a slack head angle versus a steep head angle and a higher bottom bracket for better clearance. Disc brakes with 8 inch rotors for maximum stopping power vs lightwieght v-brakes.
To get a basic jist of bikes on how are sold and used.
XC- lighter bike excels at climbing
Trail/Aggro XC- medium build capable climber more durable build
Freeride- heavy build can climb but built for abuse
DH- tank build not meant for climbing built for heavy abuse

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Casey said:
Saying the low end bikes use the same frame as the high end bikes is either ignorant or a salesman's tactic. The only thing that might be the same is the geometry, but every tube could be a different quality of aluminum or butted differently.

I learned this when buying a Kona Dawg Primo. The salesman there told me the top tube (!) was heavier on the lower end Dawgs. Some lower end companies even go as far as using the same tubes for entire size run, so the XL's (typically for 200+ lbs riders) are using the same diameter tubes as the XS's (typically <120lbs).

As for XC vs. FR frames, just look at your 4500 vs the Bruiser. Notice how every tube in the Bruiser is oversized, where as the 4500 minimizes tube diameters to keep the weight down. Also keep in mind as the price tag grows, XC frames get lighter but FR frames get heavier!

The big difference is between XC and FR frames is the fork travel they can accomodate. XC frames are supposed to have 3-4 inch travel forks where FR HT frames have 5-7 inches (check out Norco a great FR HT). You can always slap on a bigger (or smaller) fork, but if you were to put on a 66 on the 4500 and take it to the dirt jumping park, expect to come home with a broken frame. Frankly, I would not put the 66 on the Bruiser either.

Finally, in 2005 the 4500 is not using the same frame materials as the higher end Alpha line. Those bikes are using SLR tubing as opposed to the SL (http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Mountain/Hardtail/Alpha_Aluminum/6500/index.php) . The sales guy was either lying or ignorant. I would think ignorant, because it is a small difference believe it or not.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Freeride bikes are hevier and stronger. Also, they tend to have more travel. Like said before, it depends on the bike you're comparing to. There are some hXc XC bikes out there that cant handle the slightest that the FR bike could handle smoothly,

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
xbluethunderx said:
Whoever sold you the 4500 BSed you on their "higher end" crap, they only use that frame up to the 4900. Anything above that is not the same frame (IE, 6500, 8000, etc). Trek doesn't really make a hardtail FR...they used to, the Bruiser, but not anymore, everything Trek HT is an XC machine.
TREK still makes the bruiser! And now they even make a fs bruiser.But their cheap.(component wise)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Freeride is a BS term and should be eliminated.
The new categories are:
DH
DJ
Urban
Trials
Trails
XC

Freeride is just some amalgum of these. A nonspecific term bike companies use to refer to a DH/trail hybrid.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Classifications are the mans way of keeping you down... ha
I say either you are a bike rider or a unicycle rider. Otherwise you could be out on your Trek Fuel (xc) riding a Whistler skinny (fr) with your TLD D2 helmet on (DH) and then you decide to bust a suicide (dj) off of a little stair drop (street) in the parking lot on the way to your car. Then you would have to drive your car to a therapist to figure out who the f#$k you are!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The Session has a 1.5" HT that means you can put any fork on it you want but you need to install reducers first. Does Trek advise against doing so specifically?

'Free Riding' is technicaly a term, or should be used, for going enywhere on your bike; you see a singletrack trail you ride it, you see a downhill track you ride it, you see a route which is good but not sign posted you ride it, you go into town see a nice set of steps you play on them.
all on the same bike, its all about having the chance to do all of this on the same bike and being free to injoy everything and enything