Quantcast

Whats the latest in Virginia XC MTB?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Funny you should ask...

I've been helping on the last bit of the project to connect North Trail from Tredegar to the Nickle Bridge...

A very long ramp to connect the canal behind Maymont park to the corner of Kansas Ave and Hampton St. You'll ride through from the lower right corner up the ramp in the middle and topping out in the upper left. It's about 200 feet of decking.

It's very steep...

Master ramp builder...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Lower ramp...

All decked out...

The middle of the steeper section is getting the patented Steve sandstone brick treatment...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
They're going to need much more help to finish. They may be working next weekend in hopes to finish before Xterra. I'll keep posting dates and times for anyone who wishes to help out.

Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wow, that's solid work.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the total price for that project?

I might have to go ride that once its done, killer wood work.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Tattooo said:
Wow, that's solid work.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the total price for that project?

I might have to go ride that once its done, killer wood work.
I have no idea about the total cost. Apparently the park was given about $150,000.00 for trails and are spending it well!!! They also have a Ditchwitch trail cutting machine for when we get back to dirt. Send me a PM if you want a tour of the downtown Richmond trails!

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
BigMike said:
ahhhh........ so THAT is what you were talking about today Dart!

Thats pretty amazing, Are they using Nails or screws?
Cement coated 8p nails. Tico braces on all the joists. The thing isn't going anywhere!!

Steve also has one of these...

http://www.paslode-cordless.com/

It's battery/butane powered. I had to take apart some stuff nailed with it and it's a bitch!

Mike

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
So what's the deal with this route? I see the canal and tredegar mentioned so this is a part urban XC adventure? I'd really like to check this out. What's the milage and general description of the ride?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
mud'n'sweat said:
So what's the deal with this route? I see the canal and tredegar mentioned so this is a part urban XC adventure? I'd really like to check this out. What's the milage and general description of the ride?
I haven't put a odometer to the trail yet so I'm not clear on the mileage. I've been told it's about 8.5 miles to ride from Tredegar on Buttermilk and back on North trail. There's also Forest Hill Park but I don't know the mileage in there since it was redone.

Map here...http://northtrail.home.mindspring.com/id8.html

Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Xterra, you know, the faux off road gen-x sport ute.

Had one for about three months, damn was I happy to see that BMW coming in my side door. Hated that rig.

I'd love a tour. I might bring the Mrs. with me, and she isn't fast, but she keeps up with my less then svelt self.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Tattooo said:
Xterra, you know, the faux off road gen-x sport ute.

Had one for about three months, damn was I happy to see that BMW coming in my side door. Hated that rig.

I'd love a tour. I might bring the Mrs. with me, and she isn't fast, but she keeps up with my less then svelt self.
Well I won't hold your opinion of my truck against you. Let me know when you can come up.

Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
It was just that one I had which I hated with a passion. Not much of an off road toy, I high centered that thing more then once.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I should also add that a great deal of work was done to create a trail from the Nickle bridge to the gravel road leading to the ramp. Soon we'll be able to ride from Tredegar to Tredegar on dirt with the only pavement being the Nickle bridge and about 5 blocks of Kansas Ave. It's an awesome ride.

Also in Central VA XC mtb news there will be a new ~5mi loop opening soon at Pocahontas State Park. We are waiting for some signage and final approval from the state. It is the beginning of about 15 miles of trail south of Swift Creek Lake and the Park wants us to trail out the other side of the lake too!!! It'll be 2-3 years in the making but good things are coming. Mountain Bikers are currently the #1 volunteer resource to the park.

Mike

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Dartman said:
Mountain Bikers are currently the #1 volunteer resource to the park.
'bout time they noticed!
Did I read right?....A ditchwitch? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Anyhow, the planking looked tight. Where's that place at?

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
yeah On more thing to add to it the the Gerro or something like that this weekend which is that three day super hardcore xc race that some guys organize every year its pretty extreme and its right near cville

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
noname said:
'bout time they noticed!
Did I read right?....A ditchwitch? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Anyhow, the planking looked tight. Where's that place at?

It's a mini skid steer made by DitchWitch...

For trail cutting it has a plow blade on it, for moving big rocks you use the bucket shown. Then you follow behind with a small crew with mcleods and do the final grooming. If you have to create full bench cut trail its the way to go.

The ramp is at the southeastern corner of Maymont park. It takes you up to the end of Kansas Ave so you can ride the 5 blocks to NorthBank park entrance at the end of Texas Ave. The trail to it is currently closed so please don't ride it yet. The ramp is nowhere near finished.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
sirknight6 said:
Will we have access to this stuff for the FR stuff we are considering?
The trail machine is owned by James River Park system so that it would have to be used within that system.

Virginia State Parks are getting a small fleet of these machines and would be available there.

Mike

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The XC trails will be better groomed then right? I know that in the past many have gotten the buttermilk pristine, only to have it go to crap due to know support.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
noname said:
My only objection is that equipment like that takes the single out of singletrack.
I thought that too until I saw it in action. It cuts about a 2 1/2' wide swath that is groomed by hand. Eventually the trail settles into a handlebar width trail that is perfectly benched into the hillside. I don't like to see it used on flat ground but for cutting hillside trail it's the bomb. The treads have a very light footprint too. I think it's something like 5psi. It does not compress the soil underneath. I'd almost be willing to let it run over my foot.

Mike

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Wow sounds like the XC loops in richmond are getting big. When i get a new XC rig i'll come out and do a tour one day.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dartman said:
I thought that too until I saw it in action. It cuts about a 2 1/2' wide swath that is groomed by hand. Eventually the trail settles into a handlebar width trail that is perfectly benched into the hillside. I don't like to see it used on flat ground but for cutting hillside trail it's the bomb. The treads have a very light footprint too. I think it's something like 5psi. It does not compress the soil underneath. I'd almost be willing to let it run over my foot.

Mike
Sounds like fun.....your gonna have to give me a tour....