Quantcast

What's the lightest/strongest/best Enduro Wheelset out there guys?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
In tough situations like the one you're in, I turn to this trusty adage:
Light, strong, and rootbeer: pick two.

Last edited:

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
is that a Lefty hub?
Nick, you win! It is a lefty hub, good eye. I'm riding the wheels today, should put them through their paces as I will be pre riding the TDS Enduro ranch today to break in my new 2015 gear. The rear wheel laced up at exactly 2lbs. Project 321 with the I-9 torch XD Driver....I'm pretty psyched and nervous at the same time. I cant imagine these wheels lasting but here goes!

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
Well, I definitely put the wheels through their paces and so far I am very impressed. The rear wheel was 2 lbs exactly and I dropped a pound of rotational weight off my ride! I'm still in awe and wondering when this is going to get bad but so far... wow. Very happy. I hope this doesnt bite me in the arse in the worst way.

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
I am also real curious about the new Derby Rims....anybody riding those yet? I have one friend that is and he says they are so stiff it makes the ride harsh? Thoughts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Strongest carbon and nicest feeling wheels I've rode are these: http://www.bouwmeester.com.au/products/tammar-650b

Ridden Enve's, Mavic, Light bicycle, Stans prior to that. So tough and just have a really nice mix of lateral stiffness and compliance.

From there website:
I see, $2700US for rims that are 20-30g heavier than my nexties. Do they come with any extra hookers?

I do believe there are still advantages to double-wall designs.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I had a weird sound on my megatrail. Couldn't find it. Looked at my derby and it was basically straight. Rode it after tightening and greasing a bunch of stuff. Noise still there. So decided to true up the wheel. I found three spokes with no tension at all on the gauge. And a bunch of loose ones. I had done drop offs and jumps into rock gardens with the loose spokes. But nothing really extreme. That wheel is straight as can be. Surprised me.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I had a weird sound on my megatrail. Couldn't find it. Looked at my derby and it was basically straight. Rode it after tightening and greasing a bunch of stuff. Noise still there. So decided to true up the wheel. I found three spokes with no tension at all on the gauge. And a bunch of loose ones. I had done drop offs and jumps into rock gardens with the loose spokes. But nothing really extreme. That wheel is straight as can be. Surprised me.
Yah. Crabon wheels, in my limited experience, will stay true through it all...and then they crack.:D

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
I see, $2700US for rims that are 20-30g heavier than my nexties. Do they come with any extra hookers?

I do believe there are still advantages to double-wall designs.

What are said advantages?? Buy once cry once. I've had the chinese open mould wheels (and enves) and it makes no financial sense as they simply don't hold up to aggressive riding/racing running the same pressures and ride quality as these. Not saying you should buy them - that's your choice dude. However thread entitles "best" enduro wheels. In my experience there is none better than this. Period.

Comparing Nextie, LB, Zelvy etc to BC (and Enve to some respect) is like comparing a Formula Ford to a Formula one sure they both go around a circuit but one is the ultimate and priced accordingly.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, stiffness is a function of surface area, for one. These Chinese probably know a hell of a lot more about crab-on than you think. Still many hookers or shock upgrades I could have bought over envy or some overpriced rim. The only constant in business is change, someone will always come along that will figure out how to do what you do: cheaper, quicker, better, etc...

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Well, stiffness is a function of surface area, for one. These Chinese probably know a hell of a lot more about crab-on than you think. Still many hookers or shock upgrades I could have bought over envy or some overpriced rim. The only constant in business is change, someone will always come along that will figure out how to do what to do cheaper, quicker, better, etc...
Majority of stiffness comes from spokes. However I think stiffness isn't the main issue. Well tuned characteristics is more important in my opinion. So having vertical compliance in the rim gives more traction (ie faster) and lateral stiffness for efficient power transfer.

Even a quick google of Enves previously the ultimate wheel in the market show voids in the layup which cause weakness and failure. See black dots in pic below. I have been lucky enough to check out cross sections from the factory and there just simply aren't any voids - it's not possible with their process. There are a couple of pics on their website.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ENVE_High-Volume_Rims_M-Series_0001.jpg

Again the question is do you want the cheapest or the best??? If you want the cheapest you should probably post up a new thread...

Last edited:

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Lightest and strongest is relative to the riders skill and terrain. Run the lightest rims that are durable for you and provide the rigidity you want. As you crack rims go heavier until you don't.