Quantcast

What's the matter witht the search function? Race Face Cranks - what's the deal?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tried searching, but something seems to be wrong with the search function :confused:

anyways, I've read here often that the Race Face Cranks are sub-optimal based on two main points: the way the non-drive arm attaches to the spindle (no pinch bolt), and the bottom-brackets.

I'm toying with the idea of going single ring on my xc bike (Spec. Enduro), with a 12-36 cluster out back. I really like the looks of RaceFace's Turbines or Evolve cranks. But I'm weary of them for the afore-mentionned reasons. Is there still truth to these claims? I'm running Hone cranks and Enduro bearings in Shimano cups... I don't want to be downgrading by going RaceFace. But I'd like to drop some weight and go single ring.

Also, anyone have any ideas on a chain tensioner? Would a BlackSpire stinger suffice, or do I really need a top guide for the chain as well?

decisions decisions...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Also, anyone have any ideas on a chain tensioner? Would a BlackSpire stinger suffice, or do I really need a top guide for the chain as well?

decisions decisions...
The search was not working for me last week either. As for the tensioner/guide, I would go with an upper guide only - an e13 XCX or the like.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My experience of a stinger is that they only work with a derailleur, which I doubt you'll want to run with a single up front. Maybe the upper guide only will work- think of riding with a normal set up, middle ring, no tensioner- if that works for you, then the upper only will work. Otherwise, a real chainguide will be needed.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've never had an issue with the drive side arm wearing(the drive side has the splines, the non-drive side is fixed to the spindle).
I've got a set of Atlas cranks on my Niner EMD that I've been thrashing on for 2 years now.
I've got a set of Evolves on my Reign that have held up really well. I'll transfer them over to my Chase once I decide on Turbine SL's or SixC's for the Reign.

I've got a couple guys locally running them and have had really good experiences with them.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
A lot of the problems with RF cranks come down to who you are, and how your treat your bike. If you are the remove and reinstall your crank 4 times a week, then yes, you will eventually get a bit of play from the press fit stretching. But again, this is only if you're some OCD weirdo that can't stand the idea of there being mud on your bike. Imagine that.

Every set that I've seen around here, even the ones popped on and off a few times, haven't developed play, but have gotten easier to put on.

That said, they perform flawlessly, so worrying about your cranks being easy to tighten on seems kind of silly.

The only real complaint I can think of is that because the spindle is on the non-drive side, you can't just slide it into the BB to line up a chainguide. That can be a bit annoying, but its hardly the end of the world as you can just move the guide over with shimz.