Quantcast

What's the Metric System?

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
Why is it that the united states is the only country that sticks with the archaic English system? Don't you think its time that we came to grips with ourselves and changed to the standard. Sure it'd be a pian in the ass for all of the factories and industry for a little while, but at least we'd be on the right track. Doing anything scientific is a real pain in the ass when you have to pay special attention to pounds force and pounds mass, and then there's the whole problem with no four principle units. so don't you think its time we changed?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Because it would cost us tens to hundreds of millions of dollars in cash to make the switch. However, it is estimated that it costs us billions per year in man-hours, redundancy, and lost sales to NOT change.

Unfortunately it is much easier to see the costs of changing than it is the costs of not...

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
People obviously think that it would cost too much, but there are the considerations as Mr. Ohio touched on that there would be a lot of savings in man hours if we did actually switch. Besides, then we wouldn't have debacles like the mars lander debacle that cost a few billion because some of the programming was metric and some was english.

I just don't understand people who think that it is patriotic to stick by the old system.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
Do you get people thinking that (the patriotic bit)?? It's an english system, not an american one, and we gave up on it years ago..... the only thing imperial measurements are good for is estimation, I find it easier to estimate in inces rather than cm

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Does that cost include the lost Mars probe because of that "units-related" miscalculation a few years back?

Get with the program, america. It is also called "SI". The I stands for interntional.

Well I'm going to go pour myself a furlong of cereal and a bushel of milk.

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
Yes, unfortunately some people think so. At least that seems to be the primary basis for their arguments. I read a debate (I think it was in popular mechanics) about how the metric system is stupid and why use it, because we have 10 fingers? Plus the ENGLISH system was americanized and functioned very well. The argument seemed to hinge on the fact aht the US would be giving in to international pressure if they changed to the SI unit system, and americans hate to be muscled around.

Figure that economics and world integration didn't come into the con argument once.

Maybe that's not the most realistic representation, but really WTF? Why are we stuck in the time of feudal lords? We still use knots, miles and leagues, all of which are basically either measures of velocity (distance over time) or distance itselfg explicitly, and believe me (I am getting my engineering degrees in four weeks) the English system sucks nuts when it comes to anything except, well except nothing. When is the US going to accept the STANDARD INTERNATIONAL system? Even the Brits use it now.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
one simple explanation for it is all that is needed. Take your pick:

There is no way that anyone can justify using the imperial system for everything.

Metric is just some kind of new age shyte that will filter down eventually.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Tradition.
All: Tradition tradition,tradition (repeat)
papas: who day and night must scramble for a living,
Feed the wife and children,
Say his daily prayers
and who has the right as master of the house
to have the final word at home?
All: The papas the papas, tradition (repeat)
Mamas: Who must know the way to make a proper home
a quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise a family and run the home
so papa's free to read the holy book?
All: The mamas the mamas tradition (repeat)
Sons: at three I started Hebrew school
at ten I learned a trade.
I hear they picked a bride for me
I hope she's pretty.
All: The sons the sons tradition (repeat)
Daughters: And who does mama teach to mend and tend and fix.
Preparing me to marry whoever papa picks?
All: The daughters the daughters tradition (repeat)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
All: Tradition tradition,tradition (repeat)
papas: who day and night must scramble for a living,
Feed the wife and children,
Say his daily prayers
and who has the right as master of the house
to have the final word at home?
All: The papas the papas, tradition (repeat)
Mamas: Who must know the way to make a proper home
a quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise a family and run the home
so papa's free to read the holy book?
All: The mamas the mamas tradition (repeat)
Sons: at three I started Hebrew school
at ten I learned a trade.
I hear they picked a bride for me
I hope she's pretty.
All: The sons the sons tradition (repeat)
Daughters: And who does mama teach to mend and tend and fix.
Preparing me to marry whoever papa picks?
All: The daughters the daughters tradition (repeat)

Fiddler on the Roof, Eh?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Originally posted by Thepagoda
Why is it that the united states is the only country that sticks with the archaic English system?
Perhaps it lies in the general inability of the American Public to count to ten....

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I think we should just make the switch ASAP. First, start with the government, and make everything there metric ( everything military too) then filter it down to privatized industry and finally to the consumer. Sure, it'll be annoying for 10 years, and it'll cause some dumb accidents when people see "speed limit 80" but the children that are born will be used to it. If you were born using the metric system (like people in other countries) it wont seem weird to you.
The only thing I dont like about the metric system is the small measures. Centimeters are almost too small and meters are too big (for measuring the height of a person, for example) and noboydy used decameters(sp?). But, again, we would get used to it.

Think about how the people switched to the euro. That is almost as big a change (we use money more than measurements in our everyday lives and it was brand new, many people are already familiar with aspects of the metric system), and the people were able to handle it sucessfully.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
25 years ago, all you heard about was "get ready for the metric system!" "We need to change, it's going to happen" Metric ruler giveaways, conversion tables handed out at gas stations and card shops. You name it, it was everywhere. Folks here are stuck in their ways. It's an easier system, but the general public doesn't want to change. They already know how big an inch is, how long a yard is, how far a mile is, how much an ounce is, etc. etc. The engineering world's a different story, especially when it's far easier to measure small increments with millimeters. If the system's not embraced by the general masses, it's screwed.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
I remember when Canada officially adopted the Metric system while I was in elementary school. One year we were using inches, pounds & feet, the next year we were still using them unofficially, but learning Metric.

Humans are very adaptable. I find I use a combination: I still state my height/weight in Imperial ( altho I know them in Metric), and carpentry, drafting in inches. But when I'm driving or cycling I measure distance in kilometres.

It's funny b/c growing up, my American Mom always used Imperial and resisted the Metric system. My Scottish Dad still states his weight in stone(s), so I got used to a real hodge-podge.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Tweek
The engineering world's a different story, especially when it's far easier to measure small increments with millimeters.
Good god, no kidding. nine thirty-seconds? what the hell am I supposed to do with 9 32nds? Fractions can lick my balls.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I was born in 1970. So my year was the first batch to bring the metric system through the schools. I had no problem.

But oddly, for my entire professional career, all the companies I've worked for....even Pratt and Whitney Canada, still do everything in inches, to 3 decimal places.

At Pratt I was working with a company in the UK and all their drawings were in mm's. ours were in inches. ......and the gear box dwgs from Fiat in Italy were all metric too.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Convert already… The state transportation department directed that all their projects would be done in metric. It took about 3 years for the engineers and constructors to get it all worked out. We spent butt-loads of time writing and cross checking specs, drawings, pay items etc.

Now somebody has decided that everything is going back to English units and metric is dead within the department. Un-friggin-believable.
:rolleyes:

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
metric system: based on long ago "tradition" that had some basis. the inch was the standard thickness of the king's thumb, the foot... well, it was a foot.

the metric system is not based on ten, really... its based on water. one milliliter is precisely one cubic millimeter (cent being one-hundred). one milliliter weighs one milligram. add prefixes that increase or decrease this measure. its simple... so its pure genious.

the united states has balked at this system not because its what they use (and why should THEY change), but because they get most of their fresh water from CANADA. if the US had their own supply, then they'd probably change.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by slein

the united states has balked at this system not because its what they use (and why should THEY change), but because they get most of their fresh water from CANADA. if the US had their own supply, then they'd probably change.
Are there some long standing Canadian water rights issues that I'm ignorant of? :confused:

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
no water issue... just poking fun at the imperial system.

of course, if you based your measuring system on polluted water - which is everywhere these days - then that system would be messed up.

i do believe, though, that CANADA does send water south. after all we got lots and not enough people to drink it. that is, we do drink CANADIAN BEER.