Quantcast

What's the most important part of the bike?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Barring any comments regarding the rider, what is the most important item on the bike? Let's say, as an example, you had a fixed budget of $1000 or $2000 or something like that. Where do you spend the majority of your money? Where do you get the most performance/benefit for your dollar? Exclude for the moment people who can afford a brand new $3600 race frame every season.

I'd like to put together a bit of a resource for people new to the sport or looking to maximize their value/dollar, and I was wondering what other people's opinions on "critical" performance was.

For me, I think it comes back to the frame and perhaps more specifically the shock. I had a pretty miserable experience with my sunday and I think it was related to the pretty miserable DHX. Meanwhile, I loved my avy equipped brooklyn before it and my current Zumbi now, and I attribute that largely to the performance of the suspension over any combination of geometry or stiffness. The sunday was layed out beautifully, but without a good performing and tuneable shock in there, I didn't get along with it.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say...

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
The frame.

But bear in mind that buying an expensive frame mated with the ****tiest of ****ty parts is a bad idea. An "even" build if you know what I mean is the best thing to do. For $2000 you can get a decent build in good contidion.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I would say (in that order):
- Frame geo and fit;
- Suspensions (quality and adjustment);
- Tires;
- Brakes;
- Wheels;

Edit: The tires are probably the cheapest way to get significant performance improvement. Basically, there's no good reason to cheap out on tires.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Assuming you have a competent frame for the task at hand, in this case dh, for me the 3 things that helped me the most were suspension, brakes, and wide bars. Not necessarily rediculous wide, just wider than the average new comer to the sport would likely be running on their previous bike. They definitely had an effect on the way my bike handled, noticeably on the first ride.

Edit: definitely can't leave out tires, proper tires will make a world of difference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It all works together, of course, but from what I've seen, many more days on the mountain have been ruined as a result of crappy or inappropriate wheels and tires than frames that aren't up to snuff.

You could have the best DH frame ever and not make it down the hill with weak wheels or tires. On the flip side, even on a hardtail you can ride pretty much anything with a proper wheel/tire combo.

And with that kind of limited budget you're not really in the market for a serious high end frame and suspension components anyway.

EDIT: You're looking at a gnarly, rock-filled downhill. What would you rather ride, a v10 with whimpy XC wheels and tires, or a bullit with proper DH wheels and tires?

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
contact points, if you can't grip the bike and your bike can't grip the floor you'll never get anywhere fast.

Or a nice anodized topcap. Preferably one with a witty pun etched into it

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
FRAME
SUSPENSION

Now depends how you shop,

-reliability
-durability
-performance
-price point

pick 2

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I think reliability and durability are one in the same. Same rule still applies to the 3 choices, pick 2

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
You could have the best DH frame ever and not make it down the hill with weak wheels or tires. On the flip side, even on a hardtail you can ride pretty much anything with a proper wheel/tire combo.
cough....insert atherton joke... cough....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm ambivalent on tires. On the one hand, I once rode nokian gazzi jrs, then went to DHF 3Cs...but I've also ridden Nevegals, which I didn't think were quite so bad as people say. To summarize, good tires are worlds better than bad tires, even if they aren't the best tires, but you have to be a good rider to really take full advantage of what your tires are capable of.

To OGripper:
I recently picked up a used bike with a Avy Woodie rear shock (hi/lo adjuster) and 66RC3 fork for $1000...I'd argue that those are near top level components (the shock is, and the fork has similar internals to a top level 888). I think deals are out there, but you have to know what to look for. I ended up with outlaw wheels and Hayes mags, but I got that beautiful shock, decent cranks, and several other components that I can live with even if they aren't perfect. I just want to get a summary of other people's experiences so a nub knows what to look out for.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Frame is most important-and i call fit as the top priority in that matter, here is how i feel about the rest-from a racing standpoint

fork-Its easier to absorb bumps with your legs and feet, so I feel the priority is on your hands/arms

Rear shock-should be included with the frame, but if not, its obvoiusly important to not only get you traction but not hurt your legs on impacts either

brakes-gotta slow down, have to make sure they dont break (pun intended)

wheels-from a rotational weight standpoint, i think the advantage could be huge, its also important because they take alot of the abuse of riding as well. (in my mind more important than brakes, but this is a "entry level rider")

tires-enough said

Bars/stem-important to have a proper fit, and also helps keep the bike stable in choppy stuff.

Pedals-only thing your feet though-get good ones

The rest i find not so important, drivetrain wont make a difference, seat and post doesnt matter for DH, the guide has to work-thats it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
you have to be a good rider to really take full advantage of what your tires are capable of.
That's true of pretty much every key component on your bike though, isn't it? We can debate the merits of certain widgets endlessly but few of us - noob or otherwise - are using this stuff to its potential. And most people would argue that noobs are not going to tell the difference between an Avy and a DHX.

Anyway, defining the single most important part is of course impossible. Assuming you're talking about modern DH bikes, you want a certain threshold of form and function. Decent suspension components, proper wheels and tires, reasonably good brakes, significant travel, relatively slack angles, and reasonably durable stuff like bars, cranks, etc. From there, arguments about relative importance are largely irrelevant for most people. But take any one of those out of the picture and it might quickly become the most important on a given day.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
The tires and wheels argument is a good one. Such a big difference between crap factory wheels w/walmart tires vs a set of hand built 823's with a fresh $82 tire on each wheel.

But if it comes down to ONE part of the bike. I think it's the fork that is MOST important. Regardless of discipline. Obviously everything matters, but the fork is it. I'd rather ride a beat up old crap frame with a New tuned proper fork over a new Foes with a crap manitou stance kingpin.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
For my inconsistent ass, I say as long as the fit is good and the suspension isnt crap, its brakes, tires and reliability --- no missed shifts, or inconsistencies - even if not ideal - knowing what to expect is key.

When youve got the budget? most frames are decent - if it fits, the shock is the bigger diff (setup is key)

Brakes reliability and consistency is more important than power IMO - especially as your skills advance,

Good tires can make a huge difference IMHO.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Frame inc rear shock
Fork
Wheels

Everything else can be upgraded later at relatively low cost (per item)

What p*sses me off is companies like the big S putting out bikes with absolutely cr*p components but a $300 XTR rear mech bolted onto it.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Your mom.
Your mom is the most important part of any ride I go on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's true of pretty much every key component on your bike though, isn't it? We can debate the merits of certain widgets endlessly but few of us - noob or otherwise - are using this stuff to its potential. And most people would argue that noobs are not going to tell the difference between an Avy and a DHX.

Anyway, defining the single most important part is of course impossible. Assuming you're talking about modern DH bikes, you want a certain threshold of form and function. Decent suspension components, proper wheels and tires, reasonably good brakes, significant travel, relatively slack angles, and reasonably durable stuff like bars, cranks, etc. From there, arguments about relative importance are largely irrelevant for most people. But take any one of those out of the picture and it might quickly become the most important on a given day.
Fair enough. I guess when I think of components though, there are certain items that make a significant difference, while others honestly just don't. XTR vs. SLX shifters will hardly be noticed on a DH bike. Same with everything else drivetrain related. Cranks aren't really a "problem" till they bend. Headset, seatpost, bars, stem, if you can get them in a decent position, the difference between a $50 bar and a $150 bar is likely a few grams. I feel that tires don't have to be so far off from those other components...but being able to tune your shock/fork to your liking IS going to make a huge difference...but that's what this thread is for, to open up debate on what to focus on first.

But if it comes down to ONE part of the bike. I think it's the fork that is MOST important. Regardless of discipline. Obviously everything matters, but the fork is it. I'd rather ride a beat up old crap frame with a New tuned proper fork over a new Foes with a crap manitou stance kingpin.
Interesting point on the fork. I hadn't given it a ton of consideration but that makes a decent amount of sense. It's arguably at least as important as the rear shock and suspension, and considering how many people consider a hardtail a good idea, you could probably get away with a great fork and half assed frame most of the time.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Quality 2-ply tires, quality front suspension, pretty much any hydro brakes made after 2007.

Exact frame geometry and rear travel and rear shock is less important, as long as we are assuming the frame can handle a long travel fork at a more-or-less DH head angle. (In other words an 888 on a Walmart bike is just silly/dangerous).

I would rather ride a DH hardtail or a 6 year old Freeride frame with Maxxis and a dialed top-end 7-8" fork than a 2012 V10 with a Drop-off/Domain and WTB marketing treads.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You are asking on RM, so I have to say: forget about thinking about the most important part of the bike. It is all about getting the colorwayz coordination right and a respectable weight so the scale shot will impress other users. Whatever part you have to switch to achieve these goals is, of course, the most important! ;) :D

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Here's the trick; If you're on a budget DON'T RIDE ANYONE ELSE'S BIKE...Ever. That way you won't know what your missing and as far as you'll know your bike will ride just as well.

As far as where I would spend money it would be to create consistency. For example, if your brakes perform the same way all the time you can learn to adjust your riding. Same with tires and most every other part. I think suspension is key due to safety. You want something that doesn't pack up, spike, dive etc. On top of that, you can often work around other shortcomings of a bike with well tuned suspension and it is something that will last a few seasons and can be transfered to a different platforms in the future. Wheels and tires definitely make a big difference, but for the most part they are disposable and will continue to eat money.