Quantcast

whats the most you´d pay for a car, in terms of your income

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i just got curious. 3 brothers i know from high school, got together and bought a 911 to share (man, the fights for who gets to drive the car each weekend are gonna be awesome), being they are under 23, it was a ****load % of their income for a toy and that made me wonder on how much people would cough up for a car.

how many months worth of salary did you pay for your car, and whats the maximum amount of months/wage you´d cough up for a car, and car related expenses??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i would not pay more than 30% of my income on car payments, including insurance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
At one point, about 50% of my income was going to car payment and insurance.

I sold that truck. Now my car is paid off. I think Toshi's number would be my ceiling now, probably a little less though... I love not writing out that big car payment check every month.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
wow, 30% is a lot. almost 4 months a year for a car/per year.
if a car lasts for 5 years, then it becomes almost one is willing to fork up 2 years worth of salary for car expenses.

say, if when toshi gets out of med school, and makes 200k a year, assuming he uses a car for 5 years and without counting depreciation, that´d mean his budget would allow for a lamborghini or something crazy expensive like that.

these guys i talked about got a 911S (119k in Lima), so the car is like one year worth of the income of the 3 bothers combined (!). i was like, wtf? how much months/salary is the average person willing to spend on a car?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh. you have to do residency after med school, and that's a 40-50k proposition in return for 80+ hrs/week... and then there are the student loans to pay back.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
i would not pay more than 30% of my income on car payments, including insurance.
isn't 30% the amount the mortgage lenders want to keep you at for a house payment? seems like a lot for a car. Our car is less than 10% of gross income, including insurance.

sammi_davis

Chimp
Aug 18, 2006
I want a Scion XB and I cant bring myself to get one due to the cost ... but I had no issues buying an FSR ... :biggrin:

With that said I would have to say 25 % is the most I would go .

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Is that 30% of your income now as a resident or 30% of your income when you become a full fledged doctor? Cuz that's like the difference between a honda civic beater and a BMW M6.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My van is 15% of my monthly income. That's the most I'll *EVER* pay for the rest of my living days on a car. Ever. :mad:

My previous car cost 1 month's wages and the insurance after that was approximately 2%. That was more like it.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I don't have an income:brow: When I do buy my first car, I'm making my top spending limit 900. Think it's fair? Yeah, I'm gonna roll around in a lemon, but who cares, right?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My budget was what I had saved up, 11 g's. I paid in cash (not a check, actually green cash) and have never had a car payment.

I guess that would technically be about 50% of my income, but I saved that for a few years, plus put my graduation money toward it....

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i love my vw jetta that has 185000 miles on it that needed 4g in work so my dad gave it to me for 500 bux i got the work done for free some ppl owed me **** so i got that taken care of. best bike hauler ever.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I'm stuck on saving for 3 things right now.
Car/Insurance, New Camera body(20D, or the XTi), or a new bike.

But I think I got it, I can buy the car to haul the bike, and also my camera gear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
isn't 30% the amount the mortgage lenders want to keep you at for a house payment? seems like a lot for a car. Our car is less than 10% of gross income, including insurance.
true. keep in mind that i'm in a position in life where i have no mortgage payment and no family. if you have these burdens :D then adjust lower as appropriate.

<-- car is paid off in full, and insurance is ~$120/month

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is that 30% of your income now as a resident or 30% of your income when you become a full fledged doctor? Cuz that's like the difference between a honda civic beater and a BMW M6.
i'd much rather continue to drive a wrx-class vehicle and save up for other things (retirement, other toys, house, etc.). i'd have more fun with a spec miata and a few sets of racing tires than some overweight bmw anyway...

and, like i said, residents get paid peanuts and student loans are a big, looming black cloud whose presence encourages fiscal responsibility :clue:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
i love my vw jetta that has 185000 miles on it that needed 4g in work so my dad gave it to me for 500 bux i got the work done for free some ppl owed me **** so i got that taken care of. best bike hauler ever.
Hah, I don't get how the VW Jetta can have a "cult status" on one side of the pond, while on the other side it is a car driven by senior citizens in 50's style hats... :banghead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't believe in car payments. All I will ever need is a clean B3 Wagon shell, MKI, MKII, or MKIII VW shell and put whatever VW engine in it.

Or a Lexus SC300.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Speed limits are so low and boring and I only drive in rush hour. A car is just a tool. I just want my car to do it's job without rounding out the allen bolt. I can do this for way under 20% of my income. I'd never pay 20% of my income for anything other than housing, and I think that's about what I pay. My ongoing car ownership costs are probably 3-4% of my income including insurance + fuel (Love that ACC). I paid 10G up front for a second hand auto which performs just great what I want of it. Had it for 2 years, still reliable and smooth. I'd rather spend the money on anything rather than cars actually, like going skiing next weekend, hosting a dinner party on friday, buying a bunch of new bits for my bikes and lunch at a restaurant most every day. (all of which I am doing :biggrin:)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i try to keep my car expenditures pretty low but don't know what that is in terms of % income. i budgeted ~10K for my car when i got from ireland and that should last me a pretty long time (it was an '02 w/ 55K on it when i got it, and i've put on about 23K on it in two years).

hopefully the wife's van will last a long time too. that's the reason we went w/ honda.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I paid $600 for my truck and save an average of $200 a month for upgrades. When it's done, I will have spent no more than $6000 an it will be valued at over $10k.

My insurance is $40 a month and I drive less than 100 miles a month, so I spend about $20 each time I go on a trip.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I pay just under 20% of my net income in car payments and insurance. I was willing to pay ~30% for my car, but my income has gone up. When I get this new job, my cap will remain loosely at 20%. It will be a while before I buy a new one though as mine is so perfect for what I do. It's nice, but not so nice I can't use it on nasty roads for hiking (in fact that's what it's suited for). It's reliable, and quite customized. I can't afford/don't have the time for curtomization of a new vehicle. When I do/can, I will get the WRX.
I think a lot of people spend money on cars for status. Waste of money IMO.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my wife's van is paid for. my suby is paid for. suby was $2k and van was $6k and i don't plan on ever having another car payment. paid cash for both and i set aside about $40 a month for annual car related expenses to include an emergency repair fund, ie: transmission, radiator....the unforseen.
so i guess about 2 months salary for both cars to be paid off or, if i was making payments, about 10% of income.

the beater :thumb: crappy on the outside, rebuilt motor on the inside :D

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Hah, I don't get how the VW Jetta can have a "cult status" on one side of the pond, while on the other side it is a car driven by senior citizens in 50's style hats... :banghead:
His story tells the story of VW Jettas - One with $185,000 miles (probably worth $1,000) needing $4,000 worth of work.

The worst car I've ever owned - and that's a BOLD statement.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I would say about 10% is the top of my range. I would rather buy a car that needs work and fix it up myself....D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
how's the project coming along, D? is the camera set wrong or is the car not brown any longer? :D why the rainguards on the windows in sunny california? heh

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I actually bought a new car last Labor Day and it was just under $20K which is about 15% of our yearly income. It's our only payment too so it's nice and will be paid off in another 10-12 months.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
how's the project coming along, D? is the camera set wrong or is the car not brown any longer? :D why the rainguards on the windows in sunny california? heh

Oh that's not my actual car that's what I'm working towards. My actual car was stolen 10 days before I moved up here to Canada. So I had to start all over again. I don't have any current pics because my digicam somehow got lost in the move. Check the link for more detials....D

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148635

nutter

Chimp
May 6, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
just out of interest, sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what cars could you pickup for say 500-700 that would be reasonable second hand for hacking around in for 4 weeks between canada and california.

don't think i'd want to spend more than 20% of my income on a car, quite fancy a vw golf 2.0 TDI though when I do get a good job., it would all depend on what else I had to pay for

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buying a car for $700 to drive for 4 weeks isn't really much of a matter of brand. I mean, your overriding concern is going to be getting a car in the best mechanical shape for the least amount of money - you don't care if it'll last a year or two.

Just my opinion. Given a choice, I'd probably stick with Honda or Toyota (I'd say an old Subaru but you're unlikely to find one for that price), but again, it's not all about brand.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Auto payment and insurance are approximately 16% of my salary after tax. The student loan is what really annoys me, just as much money every month for something that was very largely a waste of time.

Oh, but since the question was what the upper limit is; I'd say no more than 20%.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
A car is needed, but the biggest frign scam of all. A car lasts what? 7 years? You have to pay the following.

1. GAS
2. Payments (unless you pay cash)
3. Excise tax? (To park it in your ****ing driveway? :plthumbsdown: )
4. Oil changes, tires, brakes (other consumables)
5. Insurance

Did I miss anything? I'd love to figure out how much it costs to drive an automobile, on average. A big ****ing scam if you ask me, just to get to work. Glad I don't work anymore.

What I use to do is this. Find a car from someone that has kept all the receipts for all the oil changes and all the work. Buy used with low miles. I bought a Mazda Protege for 3k. Had like 40k miles on it. I put new tires, new calipers, rotors, pads, exhaust and tuneup and I used that car for 4 years with just oil changes and normal maintenance.

To spend $500 a month on a Lexus or BMW is ridiculous, I think. Unless you buy them outright, like I do, it's basically a loss.

I view things from that perspective. If it's a loss, I no longer entertain it. As soon as you leave the dealership, you realize you left your shirt back on the salesmans desk.