Quantcast

What's the next thing the industry is going to come fuck up

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What "This is why we can't have nice things" is up next on the chopping block?

I'm betting we see another attempt at cracking the nut that is tire systems, seems like that's been more resistant to snake oil than I expected it would be.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Still electric gimmicks mate.
There's a never ending supply of perfectly functional mechanical bike parts idiots will buy a battery operated version of.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Still electric gimmicks mate.
There's a never ending supply of perfectly functional mechanical bike parts idiots will buy a battery operated version of.
Electric gimmicks are pretty easily avoidable, and that stream is going to run dry at some point. Gotta innovate or die.

Maybe we need some new standards?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
mass dampers everywhere. beneficial or not (def snake-oil adjacent / hard to quantify performance gains), they're hype right now, are conspicuous, and can be manufactured relatively cheaply (again, whether they actually work is secondary).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But for how much longer if you want mid to high end drive trains? Shimano is already di2 only for 105 and up on the road side.
105 is also offered as mechanical. The GRX series is basically Ultegra level and also offered in mechanical. Would have to change cranks and cassette for proper roadie gearing.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
File me under the "never going to buy a battery for my bike" camp.

It seems like the flight attendant style suspension is the next thing (after shifters, derailleurs, and droppers) I will never buy.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Probably the only one to bring this up, but adding AXS components to a Ebike is the dumbest shit I've seen in awhile. Now you gotta make sure like 2-4 batteries are charged before you go out for a ride? As much hate as Shimano gets for their motor reliability at least with Di2 shifter/derailleur you can plug into the bike and use the onboard battery. As an added bonus if your motor fails or battery dies mid ride you now lose your ability to shift!

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Probably the only one to bring this up, but adding AXS components to a Ebike is the dumbest shit I've seen in awhile. Now you gotta make sure like 2-4 batteries are charged before you go out for a ride? As much hate as Shimano gets for their motor reliability at least with Di2 shifter/derailleur you can plug into the bike and use the onboard battery. As an added bonus if your motor fails or battery dies mid ride you now lose your ability to shift!
I refuse to class this as defending mopeds, but I think I've seen them where there's a power plug to connect to the rear derailleur instead of the separate battery.

I love Red AXS on my road bike, but no desire for electronic on my MTB's. I have a new Eagle shifter and derailleur sitting in boxes for the future.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I refuse to class this as defending mopeds, but I think I've seen them where there's a power plug to connect to the rear derailleur instead of the separate battery.
Can't speak for what you've seen. But Di2 can be wired directly to a Shimano Steps motor battery and T-type AXS derailleur can be powered from the SRAM powertrain motor battery.
AXS still requires a CR32 battery in the remote shifter.
Fitted and briefly ridden both of those set-ups and they're in my eyes worse performing than a decent cable derailleur. and autoshift can get to fuck!
I also dislike road AXS. But quite like Di2 road, (not enough to ever want it though).

Mopeds are great if you dislike sweating profusely or climbing hills for fucking ages. and absolutely wonderful if you have no desire to ever do both simultaneously ever again. But FFS learn how to change mechanical gears smoothly. (they're far smoother and faster shifting than leccy. so long as the operator isn't a dumb lazy fucktard)

Last edited:

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I was happy to see a bigfootesq potato cam photo of what appeared to be a mechanical T-type derailleur yesterday. Knowing these assholes it will probably require a different mechanical shifter than the ones I already own, and will somehow not work with eagle cassettes.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My moneys on a seat heater... Battery operated, or possibly ac for helmet...cause 5 other batteries just isn't enough...as stated above , let's just make a bunch more standards so we can all try and keep figuring shit out that we already had figured out..

I dumped the axs , went to ride bike it was dead..nope not doing that crap anymore...cable all the way.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Derailleur hangars are a garbage concept from 100 years ago… I’ve been shimano drivetrain only for 15 years but am very excited for mechanical T-Type. Unfortunately, I will have to run a non-Shimano crank.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
mass dampers everywhere. beneficial or not (def snake-oil adjacent / hard to quantify performance gains), they're hype right now, are conspicuous, and can be manufactured relatively cheaply (again, whether they actually work is secondary).
I actually thought about one in the steer tube and seat tube of a dh bike for years.... but never tried

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hey spokes, you're looking awfully comfortable there in those wheels...unfucked with for years...all dressed like that...would be a shame if you got "standardized".

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Derailleur hangars are a garbage concept from 100 years ago… I’ve been shimano drivetrain only for 15 years but am very excited for mechanical T-Type. Unfortunately, I will have to run a non-Shimano crank.
Why? If it's for chainring compatibility, you can consider the OneUp Switch system for the Shimano DM interface and T-Type compatible chainrings.

I also prefer Shimano XT cranks and the OneUp Switch system is pretty good to use any drivetrain you like.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm aware of the Switch system, but does it fix the chainline difference between Shimano 12 and T-Type?

Why? If it's for chainring compatibility, you can consider the OneUp Switch system for the Shimano DM interface and T-Type compatible chainrings.

I also prefer Shimano XT cranks and the OneUp Switch system is pretty good to use any drivetrain you like.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I actually thought about one in the steer tube and seat tube of a dh bike for years.... but never tried
1726174820322.png

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm aware of the Switch system, but does it fix the chainline difference between Shimano 12 and T-Type?
Ah! I see.

I am not familiar with the T-type chainline. Sorry about that. For Eagle, I just buy the Shimano crank with the chainline I want.

Edit: Just went to the OneUp website to check it out. The Shimano Switch carrier doesn't even seem to be offered anymore. That sucks!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I assumed it was sarcasm.
He surely can't have wiped MAVIC, Crankbros and all the other failed spoke "systems" from his memory

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If they can automate the process to build nipple-hole-less rims that will fuck over the every day home mechanic that breaks a spoke, they will…or theyll just move on to glued CF spokes that trash the wheel if it breaks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
View attachment 218273

Rimpact can't even get a piece of foam to work right without fucking up everything around it (like the tire). They need to stick to jerseys and promotional emails that you can't unsubscribe from.