Quantcast

What's the next thing the industry is going to come fuck up

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
i was going to say, already done: bentonville, but it's probably better than it was before, to be fair :rofl:
Yeah, it can go both ways. Some people think all the hub widths/size (or insert any random industry standard) and they'll think it's great.

Just like dumbing down of trails. "I love the flow!" (speaking of B-vile)

Thanks industry (?)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Probably the only one to bring this up, but adding AXS components to a Ebike is the dumbest shit I've seen in awhile. Now you gotta make sure like 2-4 batteries are charged before you go out for a ride? As much hate as Shimano gets for their motor reliability at least with Di2 shifter/derailleur you can plug into the bike and use the onboard battery. As an added bonus if your motor fails or battery dies mid ride you now lose your ability to shift!
Shimano's 2025+ Deore/XT/XTR gruppos will be wireless, but with the option of wiring the derailleur to the main battery (e-tube essentially) for ebikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shimano's 2025+ Deore/XT/XTR gruppos will be wireless, but with the option of wiring the derailleur to the main battery (e-tube essentially) for ebikes.
there was an interview recently on pb w/ the mtb drivetrain mgr for shimano, his comments indicated mechanical XT isn't going anywhere.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
T-type AXS derailleur can be powered from the SRAM powertrain motor battery.
AXS still requires a CR32 battery in the remote shifter.
Werd! didnt' realize, but yeah that's a small percentage of E-Bikes with AXS.

Let me revise my beef.. Bike companies selling AXS drivetrains on Shimano motor equipped Ebikes when they could just include the di2 derailleur/shifter that is better integrated in the shimano motor and doesn't require keeping track of two batteries. So yeah maybe it's such a small beef it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which companies are selling Shimano STEPS Ebikes with SRAM AXS?
Generally STEPS motors come with shimano drivetrains. But sometimes Fox or RS SUSPENSION (depending on model) .
Bosch/browse etc. Usually come uther SRAM/ROCKSHOX equipped. Or Shimano/FOX.

Drivetrains really don't matter much on Emtbs. And a Mid range workhorse groupset makes tons MOAR sense from pretty much every perspective. So I wouldn't put all the blame on manufacturers for punters poor decisions.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
View attachment 218273

I was thinking about this.. what about throwing the batteries for our shifter/derailleur into these mass dampers? I understand the weight has to be pretty specific so that might be a challenge. Not sure if batteries like getting thrown around by two springs. Maybe file this on things the industry won't do.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
World cup dh racing is on track to be proper fucked
I think the changes so far are all good and we’re on track to make some further meaningful changes:
We know what fans and riders want, action! so tracks can be standardised to have 4 big corners and some good sprint areas.
Wet weather is causing too many variables, so let’s move the tracks indoor.
One rider at a time isn’t efficient for screens, let’s put 2-8 on track at a time to help keep things exciting.

I can’t wait to see the exciting future of DH!!!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I was thinking about this.. what about throwing the batteries for our shifter/derailleur into these mass dampers? I understand the weight has to be pretty specific so that might be a challenge. Not sure if batteries like getting thrown around by two springs. Maybe file this on things the industry won't do.
You clearly haven't been dicked down by an industry lizard with crippling horniness. You really think that's out of their realm of stupidity? Here, hold their *whatever lizards drink*.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wish they could invest just a tiny fraction of all the effort poured into adding an extra gear and electronic shifting into friggin gearboxes. I hate the dangly chains, and how exposed the derailleurs are. And I'd love it if the unsprung weight was further reduced...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I think the changes so far are all good and we’re on track to make some further meaningful changes:
We know what fans and riders want, action! so tracks can be standardised to have 4 big corners and some good sprint areas.
Wet weather is causing too many variables, so let’s move the tracks indoor.
One rider at a time isn’t efficient for screens, let’s put 2-8 on track at a time to help keep things exciting.

I can’t wait to see the exciting future of DH!!!
Sooo something like this but indoor?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I wish they could invest just a tiny fraction of all the effort poured into adding an extra gear and electronic shifting into friggin gearboxes. I hate the dangly chains, and how exposed the derailleurs are. And I'd love it if the unsprung weight was further reduced...
I have been wondering for a couple years why ebikes are not gearbox. Figured it would be the perfect time to get rid of the fragile dangly bits. You have battery so gripshift not needed. Less mass so a bit better suspension action as a side effect as well.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wonder if the gearbox can take more torque.
it kinda doesn't have to.
A bicycle chain can take 10000N+ in tensile load. But stick a noob/Jerry on a legal Emtb with moderate maximum torque and there's a good chance they'll change gears under full load in full assist mode and the force exerted will splay the chain plates apart from the pins. it's far less common for them to snap actual chain plates (unless they're already damaged/weak)

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Thats still better than velodome racing.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

At least this has flat corners

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
when we were looking at cargo ebikes this spring, came across the Momentum (Giant) Pakyak, it has a 5 speed internal shimano gear hub...test rode it and was sold immediately. I also said to friends that it makes no sense that ebikes aren't all internally geared and probably wouldn't get a emtb until I'm much less able, the batteries are 1/4 the weight and last all day, and they are gearboxes. We bought the Pakyak and my opinion has been solidified.

I get why there's probably industry reluctance, then they actually ARE visibly differentiated from traditional geared bikes, and SRAM can't sell 1000 fucking dollars derailleurs and 400 fucking dollars cassettes. Fuck the bike industry.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
It's worse than I thought jesus christ.

The race schedule is still pretty much just in Europe. 2 stops outside Europe in April, which are just XC anyway.

Provisional 2025 UCI MTB World Cup schedule:

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO 04-06.04.2025 – Outside Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO 11-13.04.2025 – Outside Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – DHI 03-04.05.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – EDR 10-11.05.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – DHI/EDR 17-18.05.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/XCM 23-25.05.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – EDR 31.05-01.06.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI/EDR 06-08.06.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI 13-15.06.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI 20-22.06.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – EDR 28-29.06.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – DHI/EDR 05-06.07.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – DHI/EDR 19-20.07.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI 25-27.07.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI 01-03.08.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – EDR/XCM 16-17.08.2025 – Europe

UCI MTB World Cup – XCO/DHI/EDR/XCM 22-24.08.2025 – Europe

UCI Mountain Bike World Championships – XCO, XCR XCC, XCM, E-MTB, DHI, and EDR, 2-14.09.2025, Valais, Switzerland

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Fuck Chris Ball too, no St. Anne??! Ohhh, nooo, sorry...we can't have long courses, that doesn't work for tv where the people who don't even participate in the sport need to be catered too