Quantcast

What's the next thing the industry is going to come fuck up

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
To me. They're hideous monstrosities. (but not anywhere near the worst bikes to work on)
Not sure you could call a mountain bike or mtb product BADASS really anymore. but what is in most middle class and higher weekend pastime/hobbies?

Plenty riding is still badass as it ever has been. Even on Ebikes*. nothing I've ever done seen in recent years on a Nicolai tho (or even Geometronononon)

*Especially now that most Emtbs are pretty sorted in geometry, travel, weight distribution and handling. and plenty exceptionally good riders aren't scared of what pish twats on the internet say about ebikes
Pretty astetically pleasing compared to an orange?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
To me,when I think of Nicolai’s(have not seen there EBike)I think of Overbuilt handmade Expensive German Technology. Mabye badass was the wrong word. I meant Proper.

With all the crazy deals going on with EBike and all bikes.

What would you pick for best bang for the buck?

What EBike is you’re favorite, or you would Love to get you’re hands on?

Do not Dare say you do not have one. You tried that on Avy with Favorite Rider.

Avy
I have two Ebikes. An EMTB and a E roadbike with 47mm slicks, mudguards and a. small frame bag.
I like them both. But don't like my EMTB as much as my normal. Mtbs. And really really prefer my normal roadbike to my E Roadbike.
The reason for this is mainly down to weight. To counter the excess weight my EMTB is a size small with 435 reach (my 29 mtb is 470). Sizing down brings back some maneuverability and makes the bike nice and nimble and a breeze to bunny hop and manual. It's also sub 50lb and 27.5. Currently. There's not an EMTB on the market I know if that fits this bill anymore. I get to ride plenty modern Emtbs. Rarely any are as light as my own tired old Eeb. And quite litterally NONE are as nimble.
So sorry to disappoint. But I kinda don't have one. There's a Medium £9k Merida E160 demo Emtb in the shop I could ride anytime I want. It's a great bike. Light by modern full motor Emtb standards and a mullet but I'm just not interested in riding it. Because it's way less nimble/playful than any bike I'd actually want to own.
The new DJi motor and battery is the sort of thing I've been waiting for... But I somehow doubt anyone is going to manufacture a full sub 440reach full 27.5 170mm travel bike using it.
There are ofcourse ways to retro fit a 27.5 front wheel to mullets and with a few tweaks keep geometry sweet. So yeah... I'm interested in that.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Remind me. Why we comparing custom Olympic track frames to Nicolai ebikes?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Remind me. Why we comparing custom Olympic track frames to Nicolai ebikes?
Not directly comparing the two you great big Scottish tit.

In an earlier comment the comparative cost of track bikes vs mountain bikes was raised, so I shared a link stating the cost of some of said machines.

You may have noticed that things don’t always follow a linear narrative in these threads.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I thank you for your very informative reply. Just thought it quite the tangent. Even for here.
If the randomness in threads were ever to stop I wouldn't like it here half as much.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
With all the crazy deals going on with EBike and all bikes.

What would you pick for best bang for the buck?
Buy an e-bike just like any other bike - go with what has geometry/suspension/etc that works for you (ie go demo one). One additional consideration I can think of is buy a brand that you have local shop support for so they can deal with electronics/motor issues for you.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Buy an e-bike just like any other bike - go with what has geometry/suspension/etc that works for you (ie go demo one). One additional consideration I can think of is buy a brand that you have local shop support for so they can deal with electronics/motor issues for you.
Add this: if you're buying one used, factor in about $1,300 extra onto the used price for a new motor. That will let you apples to apples price compare a new ebike on sale with warranty to a used one for sale without warranty. That's about what my brother got saddled with after scooping up a used one cheap only to have the motor shit itself a month later (cost of new EP8 & shop labor to diagnose & replace).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

That's what you get when your ruling body is ran by fucking roadies.
that's just pure moron-isity... "purest form of physical endurance" for 1h20 minutes of racing, vs 4 to 6 hours right next to it!?!?! was going to write in which way all the rest are wrong (why the fuck would they limit travel in Enduro to 160mm of travel?!?!), but it's all wrong, up and down and across the board.

Why the fuck did these fuckwits buy the rights to broadcast the sport when they don't actually want the sport as it is. they're trying to invent something else. fuck off and start your own sport if that's what you want to do, but don't go ruining the sport so many people have come to appreciate and love....

assholes. the whole fucking lot of them. assholes.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
that's just pure moron-isity... "purest form of physical endurance" for 1h20 minutes of racing, vs 4 to 6 hours right next to it!?!?! was going to write in which way all the rest are wrong (why the fuck would they limit travel in Enduro to 160mm of travel?!?!), but it's all wrong, up and down and across the board.

Why the fuck did these fuckwits buy the rights to broadcast the sport when they don't actually want the sport as it is. they're trying to invent something else. fuck off and start your own sport if that's what you want to do, but don't go ruining the sport so many people have come to appreciate and love....

I got downvoted at Vital for stating something similar. Fucking fanbois.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

That's what you get when your ruling body is ran by fucking roadies.
So is this really, "the rules"? Or a suggestion?

I mean, don't you think a pro at the World Cup level knows what kind of bike to ride?

I'm not even a pro, and I know what kind of bike to ride.

Talk about putting baby in a corner. No one puts baby in a corner! (Dirty Dancy ref) HA

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not quite. I'd ALWAYS size down from your enduro/trail bike sizing. For reasons I gave earlier. They're stable AF without needing a huge wheelbase.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I have two Ebikes. An EMTB and a E roadbike with 47mm slicks, mudguards and a. small frame bag.
I like them both. But don't like my EMTB as much as my normal. Mtbs. And really really prefer my normal roadbike to my E Roadbike.
The reason for this is mainly down to weight. To counter the excess weight my EMTB is a size small with 435 reach (my 29 mtb is 470). Sizing down brings back some maneuverability and makes the bike nice and nimble and a breeze to bunny hop and manual. It's also sub 50lb and 27.5. Currently. There's not an EMTB on the market I know if that fits this bill anymore. I get to ride plenty modern Emtbs. Rarely any are as light as my own tired old Eeb. And quite litterally NONE are as nimble.
So sorry to disappoint. But I kinda don't have one. There's a Medium £9k Merida E160 demo Emtb in the shop I could ride anytime I want. It's a great bike. Light by modern full motor Emtb standards and a mullet but I'm just not interested in riding it. Because it's way less nimble/playful than any bike I'd actually want to own.
The new DJi motor and battery is the sort of thing I've been waiting for... But I somehow doubt anyone is going to manufacture a full sub 440reach full 27.5 170mm travel bike using it.
There are ofcourse ways to retro fit a 27.5 front wheel to mullets and with a few tweaks keep geometry sweet. So yeah... I'm interested in that.
I see,so I have finally got to my answer. That took some work for Avy Brother. Now,

You Do Not have a favorite Lust Bike. Other than you’re current steed. However, you us’ed the word “kinda” in that sentence. Kinda Brother? As if to say,”well,I do like that new Rocky Mountain”. Moving on.

I have been reading you and others a lot on the EBike just to try and keep up. I am well aware of how you feel about the battery and how it affects the bike’s feel.

Why is this new DJi motor badass,and why do you think it will not make its way to New E-bikes? Can you Retro Fit it?

Avy

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I like bikes Avy.
All the way from shitters to boutique/bespoke.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No dji can't be retro fitted.
It WILL undoubtably be fitted to new bikes. Just not ever anything that suits my preference

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
whats wrong now with cargo bikes?
Yeah I see families out on cargo bikes and to me a cargo bike is the only E-bike I see any sense in owning.

I'd like to see Ampd Bros and Dirodi in Australia go tits up, but it won't happen because people want to go 40km/h on an entry level lounge chair.
1726649416311.png

EDIT- Is single cross lacing okay for disc brake use? Maybe rules go out the window because it's a fat E-Bike and it just has to look "sick" to people that have no idea about bikes or common sense.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Where I live, I see more and more of those shit boxes. They have a throttle, and can be used on a bike/walking path and obviously the bike lane on the side of the street. Not on trails tho.

And it doesn't help that the state is offering 'rebates' for the purchase of said bike. :rolleyes:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

The whole leak just shows us that we should be legally allowed to punch people who run the show since it moved away from RB days.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah I see families out on cargo bikes and to me a cargo bike is the only E-bike I see any sense in owning.
Whereas. Here I see them as complete lunacy. Fucktard middle class patents putting themselves and their precious cargo in danger almost daily.
Just the other day I saw a bloke undertake a large vehicle stopped at a busy junction just as the lights were changing. And last week another cross a busy city centre crossroads through traffic waiting to turn... All... "I have right of way" smug...
Fucking idiots.
Don't get me wrong in an ideal world with genuinely safe infrastructure they'd be great.

The other issue is that many owners don't have the first clue about maintaining the things.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK

I'd like to see Ampd Bros and Dirodi in Australia go tits up, but it won't happen because people want to go 40km/h on an entry level lounge chair.
View attachment 218596

EDIT- Is single cross lacing okay for disc brake use? Maybe rules go out the window because it's a fat E-Bike and it just has to look "sick" to people that have no idea about bikes or common sense.
Can't be fucked looking too closely. But small diameter wide rims are generally stiff AF and fatrims also often have offset spoke eyelets. spoke count looks fairly high and a lot of these things actually use motorcycle guage spokes. So common "cyclist" wheel building rules don't necessarily apply

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Whereas. Here I see them as complete lunacy. Fucktard middle class patents putting themselves and their precious cargo in danger almost daily.
Just the other day I saw a bloke undertake a large vehicle stopped at a busy junction just as the lights were changing. And last week another cross a busy city centre crossroads through traffic waiting to turn... All... "I have right of way" smug...
Fucking idiots.
Don't get me wrong in an ideal world with genuinely safe infrastructure they'd be great.

The other issue is that many owners don't have the first clue about maintaining the things.
Fact: Cars will see you better and stop for you if you wheelie through an intersection.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can't be fucked looking too closely. But small diameter wide rims are generally stiff AF and fatrims also often have offset spoke eyelets. spoke count looks fairly high and a lot of these things actually use motorcycle guage spokes. So common "cyclist" wheel building rules don't necessarily apply
i was also thinking the entry angle of the spoke into the rim would be too high as a result of the longer length to get 3x.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Forgot about this one: the free classified ads on PinkBike. Since the purchases of most new high-end bikes tend to be contingent on the sale of an existing bike, why not strangle the largest conduit of the used market and paywall the shit out of it?

I wish there was a gif of Godzilla wearing a bike helmet while lizard-fucking the side of a skyscraper with small to medium sized bike manufacturers in it. Perhaps someone can AI this. I'm still waiting for AI to change my life. Here is the chance.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Forgot about this one: the free classified ads on PinkBike. Since the purchases of most new high-end bikes tend to be contingent on the sale of an existing bike, why not strangle the largest conduit of the used market and paywall the shit out of it?

I wish there was a gif of Godzilla wearing a bike helmet while lizard-fucking the side of a skyscraper with small to medium sized bike manufacturers in it. Perhaps someone can AI this. I'm still waiting for AI to change my life. Here is the chance.
Yeah, I haven't sold anything on Pinkbike recently. Been mostly Facebook Marketplace.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fact: Cars will see you better and stop for you if you wheelie through an intersection.
While true, a tripping meth addict may come out of the bushes at you with a spear because the wheelie threatens them. It happened to me at least once.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know mate I do it every fucking day. manualling when filtering also gets attention from fuckwits who don't check their mirrors too