Quantcast

What's the next thing the industry is going to come fuck up

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
To be honest, there's nothing in mountain biking that is as much a distilled joy killer as some keeping up with the jones's Fred telling me I don't need all that suspension and that downcountry bikes are where its at (and their even more annoying siblings the gravel riders doing the same shit) and enduro bikes are too much for a do everything bike, that single ply casing with minimal tread is the way to go because once you finish the trail you can pedal to the parking lot on the fireroad faster, making the bike net faster, or that DH bikes are obsolete because modern enduro bikes can do everything a DH bike can.

Those motherfuckers have been around for as long as I've been riding, but it feels like they've proliferated in recent years. I'd rather spend time with a techbro who buys a kenevo to ride on a bike path around tahoe than another goober who can't ride for shit telling me that I could make some climb I don't give a shit about go faster if I road a rigid bike with a dildo saddle.

I don't give a shit about what techniques you use to optimize your strava times on the local XC loop. I don't give a shit that you find a hardtail is better for your overall lap time because you're able to make up a lot of time on the mile and a half of paved bike path connector section even if it makes you a little slower here and there on the trail. I don't give a shit about your power meter readings. I don't give a shit that you can get to the top of the hill faster than me. I don't give a shit that you started riding 4 years ago and now know everything there is to know about bikes. Because if you're out there having a fun time, I'm happy for you.

Please return that favor and don't try to explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway ask me how my last group ride went!
We should ride :D

Coming to Colorado anytime soon?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't think I've met the people you are talking about.
I'm only going to have a go at people for doing it wrong if they have stem spacers and a drop stem.

On the last five or six rides that people have stopped for a chat not one has been on an E-bike, and I think that's fantastic.
The only E-biker who has spoken to me was pinning it on a ~1000W Dirodi yelling "Keep Left", I really hope those things cause asshole cancer.
We got a lot of variety here. From super fit, to super not skilled. Then there's the hikers with off leash dogs. Bah

Anywho, usually everyone gets along? I put the question mark in there cuz I generally ride at not peak times/days.

Just cuz I've been doing it a looooong time, and know what/how to do it without triggering any heartburn. That is key for me. I'd rather go to a hockey game (the Colorado Eagles are actually really good, Aves farm team, 10min away) than mtb on some days, it's that bad.

Or is it that good? :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my local crew. bike industry can't fuck them up. them's good peeps and if i'm not riding solo it's with one or some of about 8-10 others. keep yer mitts off 'em, you nasty industry, you!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The counterpoint to that is when I (or anyone else) gets on a "downhill" trail that ends up being done faster on an Epic EVO than the enduro-bros, simply because of the rolling speed of the tires....which means it wasn't really a downhill trail in the first place if rolling speed opens up that kind of gap.

If that's all it takes to ruin your day, I'm happy to maintain that.
“Grade reversals”

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
If they can automate the process to build nipple-hole-less rims that will fuck over the every day home mechanic that breaks a spoke, they will…or theyll just move on to glued CF spokes that trash the wheel if it breaks.
I'm not going to lie, I've been kind of dreaming of a revved carbon wheel, like injection molded carbon with the nipples in the wheel as a mold insert and a solid rim bed so theres no tape or other possible bullshit for tubeless. If you somehow manage to strip a nipple you just have to drill it out from the inside of the wheel, put a new nipple in and RV over the hole once you're done repairing it.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
but if your brakes have .005% less power if you don't combine levers and calipers from two different companies, it's obviously the industry's fault. i mean, how can you even consider riding with such mediocrity????
That cracks me up.

A not so serious mtb buddy of mine would call that "tinkering for the sake of tinkering" (But he tunes his skis to no end, explain that?)

Some would say it is a way to keep sanity in your garage/workroom etc. :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
“Grade reversals”
Here's the bike snob in me. I won't ride at bike parks that have uphills into corners....followed by uphills out of corners.

I have this batshit crazy standard that "downhill trails must go down hill".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here's the bike snob in me. I won't ride at bike parks that have uphills into corners....followed by uphills out of corners.

I have this batshit crazy standard that "downhill trails must go down hill".
My beef...and this is happening more and more as "flow" gets more popular with smooth jumps and shit, is grades not freaking steep enough to easily clear the jumps, like they are only designed for e-bikes and world cup elite XCers on 22lb bikes, where there's no hope of getting to speed to clear the double or table. Those trail designers need to be kicked in the head.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My beef...and this is happening more and more as "flow" gets more popular with smooth jumps and shit, is grades not freaking steep enough to easily clear the jumps, like they are only designed for e-bikes and world cup elite XCers on 22lb bikes, where there's no hope of getting to speed to clear the double or table. Those trail designers need to be kicked in the head.
On the black jump trail at Killington I never touched my brakes for the whole lap, was tucking everywhere, really working the corners, and barely having enough speed. I didn't resort to pedaling cuz I don't know the trail and didn't want to start overshooting. Then I realized I was the only one around with a DH bike and Maxx Grip DH tires. The trail builders are thinking of faster rolling bikes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think the industry went after kidwoo. He must be in some re-education camp somewhere being brainwashed into loving O-chain, 29" wheels, high pivot bikes, carbon bits...etc.
I think it's weird that Changleen went silent for quite a while, woo disappeared then Changleen waited and came back about three months after woo's disappearance.
No I haven't been watching too many homicide shows.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The counterpoint to that is when I (or anyone else) gets on a "downhill" trail that ends up being done faster on an Epic EVO than the enduro-bros, simply because of the rolling speed of the tires....which means it wasn't really a downhill trail in the first place if rolling speed opens up that kind of gap.

If that's all it takes to ruin your day, I'm happy to maintain that.
I'm not even out there to debate that though - I'm not trying to convince anybody an Enduro bike with big kid tires is the best bike for a local XC loop. I know a rigid dildo saddled hardtail will be faster there as long as long as I remember to slather my ass with lube. And it doesn't get my thong in a wad when somebody willing to make their lungs bleed beats me to the top of the climb.

The part that's annoying is the part where they assume that my priorities are the same as theirs and that therefor I'm doing it wrong and too stupid to realize it. XC riding is a boring thing I do once a week to hang out with friends locally, I'm not going to deliberately make my bike ride worse for the riding I actually like to do so that my XC riding can be marginally faster.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
got a link?
the ktm guys are kinda dorks.....
if it had been a crf those dudes would have been cheering you on.
I think we have dirt bikes from 5 different brands at the moment (including KTM). Street bikes from many others.

There is truly nothing like dealing with KTM owners in the used market. Good lord.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Industry will fuck up the companies that make up the industry.

I love all my Spank parts. From stems to bars to wheels. Probably won't be buying them again. I don't trust these guys. I'm sure it's fine, but still.

On that note, another example, popular brands being bought by Investment Firms/Holding Companies. Not sure if that's the right way to say it. Take Santa Cruz, for example. Niner, too. I'm sure there's more.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

I love all my Spank parts. From stems to bars to wheels. Probably won't be buying them again. I don't trust these guys. I'm sure it's fine, but still.

On that note, another example, popular brands being bought by Investment Firms/Holding Companies. Not sure if that's the right way to say it. Take Santa Cruz, for example. Niner, too. I'm sure there's more.
another manufacturer buys a smaller company and you dont trust them?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

It worked for Iron Horse-
Iron Whore.png

I hated the Spank stuff I bought, the rims were a pain to build up and the machining on the stem was pretty shit, but that was 10yrs back.