Quantcast

What's the next thing the industry is going to come fuck up

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Industry will fuck up the companies that make up the industry.

I love all my Spank parts. From stems to bars to wheels. Probably won't be buying them again. I don't trust these guys. I'm sure it's fine, but still.

On that note, another example, popular brands being bought by Investment Firms/Holding Companies. Not sure if that's the right way to say it. Take Santa Cruz, for example. Niner, too. I'm sure there's more.
Credit where it's due, Pon bought out Santa Cruz way before private equity realized they had too much capital sitting around and needed to invest it in get rich quick schemes, Pon seems to actually be intent on knowing the industry rather than hurling cash at garbage and then firing everybody and writing it off as a loss when it goes tits up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Credit where it's due, Pon bought out Santa Cruz way before private equity realized they had too much capital sitting around and needed to invest it in get rich quick schemes, Pon seems to actually be intent on knowing the industry rather than hurling cash at garbage and then firing everybody and writing it off as a loss when it goes tits up.
while we may sit here and disagree with some of the design choices SC is making, by all accounts their business seems to be doing well. so i can't really disagree with you on that front.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
EL OH EL

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
"I've got a business model guys: We're going to overpay for used bikes, and then to maintain profit margins, sell 2-3 year old used bikes without warranties or any included shop service for virtually the same price as a brand new bike. I see no way this goes tits up, especially not if there's a downturn and were stuck with increasingly obsolete inventory" - Somebody at pro's closet awhile ago.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Does anyone know anyone who ever bought/sold from there? I liked the idea, but it always seemed to be the most expensive way to buy a second hand bike.
I tried selling my GG frame to them early 2023 and they wouldn't bite. So they weren't total idiots lol.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I was going to try sell a vintage Cannondale (SM500 if anyone is interested…) to them so I didn’t have to deal with a bunch of saddle sniffers on Craigslist, but it required a tiny amount of effort on my behalf so I didn’t bother. And now I never can.

The upside is I have a legitimate reason to keep this dumb/fun bike around for a bit longer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anyone know anyone who ever bought/sold from there? I liked the idea, but it always seemed to be the most expensive way to buy a second hand bike.
Every once in a while I saw the kind of weird shit I like on discount for like 70% off, but then shipping was always $40 so I never bought anything

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
its the newest bike I own by a large margin. and first time in quite sometime i acquired a bike less than 5 years old.
It was between GG and Transition when I bought my last bike. Only the fact that I was able to sit on a Scout that I decided to go with Transition

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
HEY BRO IS YOUR CYBERTRUCK IN THE SHOP FOR THE 18TH WEEK IN A ROW? ARE YOU TOO COOL FOR EEBIKES? GRAB A WEEL AND YOU CAN SURF YOUR PHONE WHILE YOU PLOW YOUR BIKE UP SOME STAIRS: https://weel.bike/

chances of shipping? Zero…but if anybody had money on “bikes” being the next thing the industry fucks up, you guessed right.