Quantcast

What's the Norfolk/Portsmouth scene like?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So I am moving out to the Norfolk area at the beginning of the year for what appears to be a five year show. How is the freeride/dirt jump scene there? I am getting a house with enough yard for some dirt jumps, maybe a couple two packs, a step up and a teeter, but I don't want that to be my only source for dirt.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, what is the DH race scene like out there? I know mostly I will be commuting a lot for races, did Masanutten last year, good times. Is there a series?

Thanks.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Cool man, thanks a lot. I will be out in January some time, gonna need to make some new "shovel buddies" when I get there.

I am also going to build a little something something in my yard for riding, drinking, bbq, all like that.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
What is the DH race scene like? I know there is a lot sort of in the area, and that there seems to be a pretty healthy race scene from what I remember last year. Any insight?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey, driving under 10 hours is huge compared to when I was down in NOLA. I did 19 straight in the car last year for Masanutten, so you can get the idea.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
check out www.racersedge.com for the "local" races. They have not posted the 2006 season yet, but it will be there eventually. As far as lift serviced DH, there is Wintergreen, which is near Charlottesville, and if you want some bigger/longer stuff, there is Snowshoe WV with the freeride park and the western territory for DH.

All much less than a 19 hour drive :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Sir_Crackien said:
huh none really. you have to dirve atleast 3 hours to get to a resort that has dh type stuff andmore for racing unless i'm mistaken
yeah, for the most part. Norfolk, Williamsburg and those outlying areas are generally pretty flat. But the work being done out in Williamsburg is a very good attempt at making it fun to ride.

Ridetoofast is doing what he can to get some things orginized to make it more exciting. :thumb:

There is some fun stuff in the richmond area as far as freeride and singletrack, and am sure there are things in that area as well. Many of the locals down there are doing an awesome job to make it more fun for all. :thumb:

Keep up the good work y'all.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
check out www.racersedge.com for the "local" races. They have not posted the 2006 season yet, but it will be there eventually. As far as lift serviced DH, there is Wintergreen, which is near Charlottesville, and if you want some bigger/longer stuff, there is Snowshoe WV with the freeride park and the western territory for DH.

All much less than a 19 hour drive :D

Ahhh.....what he said........

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Went out and did some major building in Reno this weekend. I can't tell if I like riding DJ's or building DJ's more.

Made me conclude I am going to do a larger jump pump track in my back yard there, but would love to build some DJ trail stuff. We have a DJ line now that is almost a mile long, to be beaten out by a hip line that is almost 2 miles long.

Anywhere with the topography, legal situation and the means by which to build something long and loopy in the greater Hampton road area?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
the local trail in norfolk, ipswitch, is the only dj scene around. nothing like a mile long but we do have an '18 pack' along with a couple of log rides.

the local club, EVMA, has some trail expansion efforts going on, but that is up in w'burg.

i will be MORE than happy to help you dig here locally. do you have any idea which city you are going to live in...ches/suffolk/va beach/norfolk/smithfield/surry/isle of wight??

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Looks like either Norfolk, Ches or Portsmouth.

Will know more after I come out on the 17th

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
The wife is doing the Navy Doctor show, I am doing the last year of law school thing.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
unfortunately i dont go out there much...no one to jump with anymore and i dont like going there solo.

any chance you could send me a pic?

edit
be sure to let me know when so we can hook up for a ride. depending on when you are here i might even have a new place with my own dj's and other such wooden type play things...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
ridetoofast said:
not sure what you mean by doctor show?

where are you going to school? regent?
Doctor show, sorry, stuck in west coast speak.
We're moving there so she can do her internship year at Portsmouth Naval Hospital (we hope, match day is the 15th)

I've been admitted to Regents as a third year because of the whole hurricane thing in New Orleans.