Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
.... On whether or not this is the work of a tea-tard? Remember Sharon Angles second amedment remedey threat?

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot outside a grocery store in Tucson while holding a public event, Arizona Public Media reported Saturday.

The Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at the Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

At least five other people, including members of her staff, were hurt. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson. Her condition was not immediately known.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up firing indiscriminately and then ran off, Michaels said. According to other witnesses, he was tackled by a bystander and taken into custody.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

More details to come.
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona
*edit for more info:
Jumpin Jeebus
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, member station KJZZ in Phoenix has confirmed.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Arizona seems to be an amazing place. I was listening to NPR yesterday or maybe the day before.....there's a guy trying to undo the rule that people born of illegal immigrants, on US soil get automatic citizenship. He was citing ruling from 1844 or something.....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
State Sen. Linda Lopez, a close friend of Giffords', told Fox News that the three-term congresswoman was shot in the temple and the bullet exited through her forehead. Lopez said Giffords was responding to commands.
well i'm impressed

splat

Nam I am
Arizona seems to be an amazing place. I was listening to NPR yesterday or maybe the day before.....there's a guy trying to undo the rule that people born of illegal immigrants, on US soil get automatic citizenship. He was citing ruling from 1844 or something.....
actually there has been talks of that for quite some time in TX, NM, AZ and CA, but nothing has come from it and doubt it will

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
While I certianly appreciate his candor and happen to agree, guess who's not going to win re-election for Pima county Sheriff:
Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, speaking about Arizona:

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. And, unfortunately, Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry.

"It's not unusual for all public officials to get threats constantly, myself included. And that's the sad thing of what's going on in America. Pretty soon, we're not going to be able to find reasonable, decent people who are willing to subject themselves to serve in public office."

He later added:

DUPNIK: Let me just say one thing, because people tend to poo-poo this business about all the vitriol that we hear inflaming the American public by people who make a living off of doing that. That may be free speech. But it's not without consequences.

REPORTER: How do you know that that's what caused it.

DUPNIK: You don't.
Bravo Sheriff Dupnik. :clapping: Maybe you should come to Colorado Springs, we've got enough crazies here we might be able to prove you wrong.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Obviously, if the 9 year old had a gun, she would have taken out the shooter. It happens in the movies all the time.

Too soon?

Don't retreat, reload!

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
An Ayn Rand disciple brainwashed into being obsessed with the gold standard? Yeah, that doesn't sound like anybody I've ever heard of....

i was thinking renegade rick....he hasn't been around in a while.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/08/keith-olbermann-arizona-shooting_n_806311.html

Violence, or the threat of violence, has no place in our Democracy, and I apologize for and repudiate any act or any thing in my past that may have even inadvertently encouraged violence. Because for whatever else each of us may be, we all are Americans."
At first I figured the shooter must have been some kind of Fox News Disciple, but now that I know a teeny-tiny bit more about him, I have no idea what his politics are.

I realize it doesn't really matter. Maybe his mother served him sunny-side when he wanted over-easy and that's what set him off.

But the charged rhetoric from both sides is what created the climate of violence and fear.

Remember, there have been several mail bombs this week as well.

Now, I'm not saying we should all agree and sing kum-ba-ya. I suppose I can take the high road because I don't say "We should shoot ______ for his/her political stance".

I don't know what would be the appropriate level for political discourse. A quiet discussion on Charlie Rose? No more anonymous threads like this one?

I suppose Olbermann is about as much as an instigator as anyone on Fox, although I would say he doesn't make vague threats like Beck or Hannity. But he acknowledged that his own angry talk may have been part of the problem.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
But the charged rhetoric from both sides is what created the climate of violence and fear.
Pretending that the the two sides are equal here is part of the problem. The right wing in this country is out control. They are unamerican and this sh!t needs to stop. The whole tea party movement is nothing more than the sanctioning of self absorbed douchebaggery.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pretending that the the two sides are equal here is part of the problem. The right wing in this country is out control. They are unamerican and this sh!t needs to stop. The whole tea party movement is nothing more than the sanctioning of self absorbed douchebaggery.
I don't disagree that the right are more to blame than the left.

But I have thought about how political discussion is a battle, and the left will use the same kind of sound-bite journalism that the right does.

Now the peace-loving liberals around the Bay Area don't exactly advocate a 2nd Amendment solution though....