Quantcast

What's the REAL scoop on Fox 40s?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I really haven't heard ANYTHING good about them yet. But it's always second hand stuff. But I've heard they feel dead, no ramp-up, bottom out very easily, will never feel as plush as an 888, blow some little bottom-out sack thing in the bottom all the time, and just feel poopy in general.
True or False.
And no heresay, please! Just that facts, man!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tons of people have been super happy with their 40s, including me. I have been on them since just before they were publicly available and have loved them. Then again I am 145lbs.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I really haven't heard ANYTHING good about them yet. But it's always second hand stuff. But I've heard they feel dead, no ramp-up, bottom out very easily, will never feel as plush as an 888, blow some little bottom-out sack thing in the bottom all the time, and just feel poopy in general.
True or False.
And no heresay, please! Just that facts, man!
Try a well set-up one for someone similar to your weight and you make the decision. Develop your own opinion rather than relying on the internet. You will be much happier in the long run...

Good luck.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Umm...where the hell did you hear all that?

40s are great, very compliant to small bumps, even feeling over mid to large chop, highly adjustable, very light, very stiff, require little maintenance, and are relatively durable.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Dude...I live in South Dakota. There's LITERALLY 4 riders on this side of my state, and I'm one of them. And the rest in the state would all fit in a redneck bar on drown night. I won't find any forks here to play with! Plus, even if I DID have one, It's -13 below right this minute with 35+mph winds and there's 2-3 feet of snow on top of 4" of solid ice...The intraweb's gonna have to suffice!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Umm...where the hell did you hear all that?

40s are great, very compliant to small bumps, even feeling over mid to large chop, highly adjustable, very light, very stiff, require little maintenance, and are relatively durable.

Actually, I think I put up another post here one time about fox forks and if it was possible to make them feel like an 888 and I was told-mostly by Fox owners-to stay with Marzocchi.
I just have the option to trade my 66 for a Fox 40 and wanted to know. Should atleast LOOK decent on my new ECD...?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I personally think they lack small bump sensitivity, as do all fox forks. I've owned 3 of their line up, and after the third I said screw it. I prefer the supple feel of rock shox.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I love mine. I've been on the same fork since they were first released in '05.
Lighter than my old marz, much stiffer than my old boxxer.
Reasonably low maintenance. They could be better if they had more oil, but I understand that that would make them heavier.
Contrary to what Fox tells you, user serviceable cartridge.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I personally think they lack small bump sensitivity, as do all fox forks. I've owned 3 of their line up, and after the third I said screw it. I prefer the supple feel of rock shox.
Something must have been off. This is where the actual suspension action of the 40 beats the 888. They are smoother and softer at the beginning of the stroke.
Are you heavy? Where you trying to prevent bottom out by cranking the compression?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Something must have been off. This is where the actual suspension action of the 40 beats the 888. They are smoother and softer at the beginning of the stroke.
Are you heavy? Where you trying to prevent bottom out by cranking the compression?
No, I'm a 160lb racer. I didn't over-compensate compression to prevent bottom out. I felt the recommended spring was too firm, and the one just below recommended was too soft.

For the longest time I blamed the coil spring since it was an issue with both the 40 and 36. However, even their air sprung xc forks have the same ****ty feel. I personally feel like beginning stroke of their forks 'gallop' over small bumps, as opposed to flow and track over them.

These are not issues I had with both the 888, or Boxxer WC. I chalk it up as the fox dampers, which must not suit the way I ride, or the way I want my bike to ride. Its inarguable that each manufacturer has their own distinct feel, and I despise the way fox forks ride. Plain and simple.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"I personally think they lack small bump sensitivity, as do all fox forks. I've owned 3 of their line up, and after the third I said screw it. I prefer the supple feel of rock shox."

That's a good point...perhaps the fork was working "too" well?
For instance, I learned that I liked my 66RC2X more than my 888RC2X. It felt like it ramped up faster and I could feel my line a little better...BUT I also get arm pump a little on the 66 and never an issue with the 888. So it's a give and take.
I don't doubt that ANY fork an be dialed in. I must have dumped over a grand into a Super T back in 05 because I just wanted a short(er) travel DC fork. And I did finally nail it down, but by the time I did my riding had escalated and I needed more fork.
I've been reading threads on them in my Search..and leanred about the secret little casting numbers on the back of the arches...cool. Gonna go search some more...

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i like mine alot, set up at seven inches, i defly hit the bottom of it havent raced on it yet, but i like it, stiff as hell

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, here is the truth about my 40:

its one of the first 40s in 05. i love it, as awesome adjustability and range of tuning. (some ppl who run loads of lsc prefer boxxers tho) its light, stiff, and plush. has been pretty much problem free for 3 years.

i say pretty much, because at the end of last year i wore out the bushings, sent them in and i found out i also cracked my arch and bent a compression rod.

well, £260 later and they are brand spanking new again. faking love them.

i accept the cracked arch and bushings as fair play in terms of wear and tear. i ride loads and they are old.

the reason you dont hear about ppl raving about 40s is because ppl who love 40s cant be bothered to hype them up or defend them when ppl talk **** about them. those who love them will love them.

forgot to add, the newer 40 are much better bottom out resistance wise. cant ppl give a first year product a chance? damn. otherwise you can run a lot of lsc to keep the front end up high. i prefer using all my travel much more then never being able to use all of my travel.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I personally hate fox 40's, I really dislike the feel of them, I prefer the buttery feel of marzocchi, also they are too weak and require too much work

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Welll...there's people who love to have sex with chickens and donkeys, too...doesn't mean it's right... :)
How's that for a thread derailleur?

But it sounds like I def want an 06 and newer, right? First runs of anything are always problematic.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
jamessdc11 - thats a classic post that i cant be arsed to reply to anymore to defend the 40.

thrillseeka, it was just the first run of 05s. but i would suggest you get an 07 or 08. 07 has much better bottom out and 08 is just butter/so controlled all round. :drool:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Something must have been off.
Nah. I wholeheartedly agree with with him. I had a 36rc2 of my own for 2 years, and borrowed a buddy's bike with a 40 rc2 for enough time to screw around with it. What he says applies to my experience as well. Both forks suffered from the exact same problems. Bottom out too easily with a spring that feels plush....even with the HS damper cranked...which then makes it feel a little more like butt anyway.

I'd love to like the things. They're big, stiff and pretty light. I just never felt one that worked how I wanted it to.

This is where the actual suspension action of the 40 beats the 888. They are smoother and softer at the beginning of the stroke.
Not even close. Quick question for you. Which 888s have you ridden and how recently?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
.even with the HS damper cranked...which then makes it feel a little more like butt anyway.

I'd love to like the things. They're big, stiff and pretty light. I just never felt one that worked how I wanted it to.
do you understand how the adjustments work? i didn't till just a while back. now i can tune my 40 much closer to what i want it to be.

you actually want more LSC along with more HSC to reduce the bottoming, but of course, the best answer is the 07 dampers with much more bottoming out resistance.

explanation here

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"Personally, I dunno about the Fox 40, but I do love my Marz 888 (your old one! DOH!)"

You're an evil ass! Give it back or suffer the consequences!

And I'll agree with Kidwoo on the 888 comment, too. Nothing is going to beat the 888 in pure plushness. I may just hold out for another 888, It's all I've ever run and my 66 is about the same thing, just downsized.
But for the sake of talking...does the 40 have any air preloads or adjustments of any kind? That would cure the bottom-out issues, and add some feel to the top end...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
the best answer is the 07 dampers with much more bottoming out resistance.
yeah, but I find this hard to believe since fox has claimed that every year... with no real world change...

I'm a fat kid at 210, and I also find them far too linear.... just bottom far too easy.... atleast on the zocchi's you could raise the oil level and achieve a proper progressiveness

edit: I found this with both the 40 and 36van series from multiple year models...

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
I got all of 4 runs in on my '07 before I punched a hole in the lower. It felt good to that point - but I sold it once I had a new lower for it. It seems like a whole lot of $ for negligible gains over the competition's offerings.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Actually..I think NODAK might have some riding...
Nah, it ain't SOOO bad here, nuthin like what you boys with HILLS have to ride, though. I just gotta cruise 5 hours over to the other side of the state, to the Black Hills. Makes it all worth while....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I saw a fox 40rc2 in a shop one time, it looked pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure the guy who owned it must have been cool too, because that fork is totally off the h00kz0r

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Actually..I think NODAK might have some riding.......
that's cool...i went to highschool in MN and lived in MT and WY after that, so i kinda know the area. a good friend of mine is from NODAK. he invented a diving board trick that's a 180 twist to delayed back flip...we called it the NODAK.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Internet:
If you love something, tell someone.
If you hate something, tell everyone.

You hear more negative things about gear, bikes and parts than you will positive.

I rode Boxxers for a while and loved them. Then I switched to 888s. Loved them too (although too high and too heavy, but they felt/worked great). Now I have a couple pairs of 40RC2s which are both great. I have needed both to be worked on, but everything needs working on.

I am saying that forks are great.
All forks (at least all of my forks).

Theres something positive sent out...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Internet:
If you love something, tell someone.
If you hate something, tell everyone.

You hear more negative things about gear, bikes and parts than you will positive.
Yeah man...that"s why I posted this instead of making assumptions. Ya with me?

I have needed both to be worked on, but everything needs working on.
No, that's not true. I've had an 888(the one that Orthobuttheadguy a few pages back now has) and a 66RC2X That I ran for TWO YEARS EACH with not one single issue. Ever. Right before I sold the 888s I had to order new lowers for it though...because mine were black and I wanted white. Only issue ever. I'm stayin with Marz...

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Hey thrillseeka, I had the same kind of question as you had, and you actually beat me to making the thread :monkeydance:. Ive heard exactly what youre talking about. everyone who doesnt own one says they suck (at least what ive experienced) and everyone who does says they rock. My question is, and not to steal the thread, but in some of the earlier posts, I read what would make me think that these forks wouldnt be good for heavier riders. Am I correct in "assuming" this by what I interpretted the posts to mean? I am about 200 -210 lbs, and I have seriously been considering the 40's, but if theres a better fork for heavier riders, what would it be?

And sorry for stealing the thread Thrillseeka, I just didnt want to start another one to ask just about the same question

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Kev, I def. feel for heavier riders the fox40 is not the best option....

like I said i'm a fat kid at 210... I was using the yellow spring and tried all types of different compression settings with no satisfaction.... If there was a way to tune the progression better then I would have enjoyed the van36's and fox40's a good bit more..... I did like the small bump sensitivity when running low compression settings but it would bottom way too easy...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

like I said i'm a fat kid at 210... I was using the yellow spring and tried all types of different compression settings with no satisfaction.... If there was a way to tune the progression better then I would have enjoyed the van36's and fox40's a good bit more..... I did like the small bump sensitivity when running low compression settings but it would bottom way too easy...
oh, the 07s had a huge difference in bottom out resistance. you can feel it for sure. my friend of 70kgs couldn't bottom his on the stock setting, had to drop it to the low setting. 05 and 06 have pretty much the same amount of bottom out resistance.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
oh, the 07s had a huge difference in bottom out resistance. you can feel it for sure. my friend of 70kgs couldn't bottom his on the stock setting, had to drop it to the low setting. 05 and 06 have pretty much the same amount of bottom out resistance.
I don't own a '07 and have not had the opportunity to ride one so I'll def. have to do so.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

If you take the time to adjust the bottom out setting on an 07 or 08 fork, you will be fine. The older forks didn't like heavy riders very much.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So why did you decide to ditch the fox idea? Did I miss something? Hahah Im too tired. :disgust:

Because even the guys who have the forks and LOVE the forks, have issues with the forks. And that's not necessarily a "bad" thing, I like to tinker with stuff as much as the next guy. I just like to be able to grab my bike out wherever I stuffed it the night before and know it's ready to go and is the same bike I rode the previous day. So I could be the same as the die-hard Fox guys, just devoted and believe in Marzocchi.
But I guess I prob wouldn't rule out an 07/08 Fox 40.
But the 40s don't have ANY form of air assist? I think that would do a LOT for them and me. Anyone tried the lift the bike up and crack the top caps open, give it a little unloaded neutral pressure, so it's pressurized a touch when loaded?