Quantcast

Whats the real size of the Cannondale lefty stem??

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
The thing no one seems to get about Cannondale is that they do not make frames or forks, they make bikes. They are meant to be complete products. Sure you can buy a frame only if you really want to, but it is not recommended as the complete product (lefty fork, Si cranks, etc) will far superior to a bit by bit build (DH/FR frames excluded of course). Complaining about the 1/16" larger diameter is pointless as it will never change because that design has been proven to be the best for Cannondale bikes and some people get it and some people never will and that is just fine either way.

-R

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
fiddy_ryder said:
cost to enlarge a hole 1/16 of an inch? your joking right? and trip to the dentist, please tell me your not talking about the part potetial failing and causing you to bust your grill.. were talking 1/32 of in on each side, thats not enough to make a big block of aluminum like a stem fail.

Based from your response I can tell you have no knowledge of strenght of materials or machining experiance. Every stem I have ever handled has a wall thickness of about 0.1" in the steerer tube area, the difference between 1-9/16"and 1.5" is 0.063" which would mean a diametral cut of 0.032". If you think a 1/3 of structural wall thickness is insignifcant go ahead. Further more the fact that 1-9/16" drill bit is probably quite uncommon the hole will have to be interpulated or fixtured on a lathe for a boaring bar, all of which require setup and fixturing. Most machinest I know of charge in the range of $70 and hour and up. Call me lazy or conservative but I don;t think it;s an easy or sensible undertaking.