Quantcast

What's the smartest state and what's the dumbest state?

J

JRB

Great - we tied with West Virginia. I feel more dumb as I type.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
loco-gringo said:
Great - we tied with West Virginia. I feel more dumb as I type.
Not only that, but Texas moved up one over last year's rank to tie WV, which has moved down 4. :blah:

J

JRB

bigginsis said:
man. NC dropped. guess it's because we are so close to TN, SC and GA...

Well just wait. BS should affect the next results for TN which will help everyone out. Hell NM may even get to move up.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
N8 said:
Linky: http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

Smartest state = Mass
Dumbest state = NM

Do not move to NM!

Stay away! It sucks! The people there don't speak english and the weather sucks!

You'd be much better off moving to NY, CA, NJ, or TX.

Remember NM sucks and you want to stay away!
I respectfully disagree. The weather's don't get no better and the ed isn't that terrible so long as you're in Santa Fe or Los Alamos. Rest of the state is kind of a hole though. I live in Mass now but would move back to Santa Fe in a heartbeat if I had an opportunity.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Barbaton said:
I respectfully disagree. The weather's don't get no better and the ed isn't that terrible so long as you're in Santa Fe or Los Alamos. Rest of the state is kind of a hole though. I live in Mass now but would move back to Santa Fe in a heartbeat if I had an opportunity.

Shush you!

;)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Hmm........I would've thought that nevada would of scored higher.......Oh well, good thing i moved to Californ-i-a.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
that stinks. virginia is 12th.

oh well,i don't really like it here anyways. commonwealth my ass,it's more like a wealth of bull****ake.

i'm moving to BC - who's comin with me!?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
WestCoastHucker said:
Ummmm. You can stop right there......
Hehe, guess that's my NM ejumcation showing through. Damn typos. I was serious about the weather though. Hot but absolutely dry in the summer. My parents' house doesn't need an air conditioner; we had it ripped out about 10 yrs ago. Winter is cool and gets enough snow to be beautiful but it goes away without getting grey, dirty, and concrete-like like it does out here. And nothing like living at the bottom of a ski area. I can get from bed to lift in about 30 mins if we don't get stuck behind some Texan or Okie in a rediculous SUV that they don't know how to drive on a mountain road.

(looking for an appropriate nostalgia smiley but there doesn't seem to be one. :) )

J

JRB

I thought it was NM and then I heard the president say the fool me once piece tonight. He was in TN when he said, fool me once, shame on you, uhm, well you can't fool me again. The fact that he was here, lowers our level. TN was ruined that day. I say MD and VA will suffer since DC touches them. Incredible. With leadership like that, how dare we rate anyone's stupidity. :rolleyes:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Treinta siete. Not very good for a state motto that reads "Education pays." Anyone travel from WV through KY? About 1/4 of a mile past the border, the massive Ashland oil refinery sits in all it's steaming hot molten lava firey glory. Education pays, alright. :rolleyes: :D

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
ViolentVolante said:
jersey is 4th :think:
An intelligent person would look to see how the "Study" was conducted. This has little to do with a states actual intelligence. There are so many factors left out. Many of the factors are based on money spent in the elementary grades. $1000 in Texas goes farther than $1000 dallors in Cali or NY. The fact that they rank Jersey above NY lets you know it certainly flawed. :D

1. Public Elementary and Secondary School Revenue per $1,000 Personal Income (Table 54) +
2. Per Pupil Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures (Table 108) +
3. Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures used for Instruction (Table 132) +
4. Percent of Population Graduated from High School (Table 168) +
5. Public High School Graduation Rate (Table 177) +
6. Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 196) +
7. Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 204) +
8. Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 212) +
9. Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 220) +
10. Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 228) +
11. Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 236) +
12. Percent of 4th Graders Whose Parents Have Strict Rules about Getting Homework Done (Table 285) +
13. Average Teacher Salary as a Percent of Average Annual Pay of All Workers (Table 347) +
14. Percent of School-Age Population in Public Schools (Table 412) +
15. High School Drop Out Rate (Table 183) -
16. Percent of Public School Teachers Who Reported Being Physically Attacked in the Past 12 Months (Table 264) -
17. Special Education Pupil-Teacher Ratio (Table 325) -
18. Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Staff Who are School District Administrators (Table 359) -
19. Estimated Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools (Table 370) -
20. Average Class Size in Public Elementary Schools (Table 390) -
21. Average Class Size in Public Secondary Schools (Table 391) -

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Crash_Tested said:
An intelligent person would look to see how the "Study" was conducted. This has little to do with a states actual intelligence. There are so many factors left out. Many of the factors are based on money spent in the elementary grades. $1000 in Texas goes farther than $1000 dallors in Cali or NY. The fact that they rank Jersey above NY lets you know it certainly flawed. :D
Oh no you didn't.

Certainly any ranking of something this broad is pretty much ridiculous but I can say that NJ has very good schools on all levels. Basically that means lots of rich, small towns with rich, educated parents but, hey, it's facts. And please, enough with the Jersey bashing.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
JRogers said:
Certainly any ranking of something this broad is pretty much ridiculous but I can say that NJ has very good schools on all levels.
I guess you need one of those high ranking jersey eductions to understand that statement. :think:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Crash_Tested said:
I guess you need one of those high ranking jersey eductions to understand that statement. :think:
Uhhhh....I don't think it was that complicated, nor was it contradictory. Ranking how "smart" a state is is pretty ridiculous based on the amount of criteria involved and the subjectivity inherent in the word "smart" and the nature of the comparison. Ranking primary and secondary school quality is much easier and the results of a comparison would be (somewhat) more disparate.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Barbaton said:
"The weather's don't get no better and the ed isn't that terrible"

Lol, that's my favorite part. :thumb: