Quantcast

Whats the status on Calabazas?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Update: John Hauer, a rider who has been attending the San Jose meetings, reports that council member LeZotte promised to set aside money to help open the jumps, probably in Spring 2006. It'll take this long to get all the permits and environmental clearances. The city says it will want a "professional" to help design the jumps.

On June 25 NorCal riders will hold a raffle to support Alex Ghenis. You DO NOT have to be present to win cool stuff, so buy a ticket! Details at www.thegranderaffle.com.
From Leelikesbikes.com

There is no suit from Alex's dad, but the city is still worried about the status of the jumps, especially since they had gotten complaints about riders before his accident. From what I've heard they do not want to make the jump park a "destination", it's going to be a local spot. It will be smaller and most likely as Lee says, designed by a professional. Hopefully that means the city will hire an actual track or jump builder and not someone who makes things "safe".

The Ito

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I went to the meeting they had about it at Lynbrook H.S. about 3 weeks ago, here's a copy and paste of my MTBR reply:

Basically the city of SJ said that they WOULD re-open the jump park. It is going to take them about 9 mos. to get all the permits, get buy off from the water people, fish and game...etc..... then a bunch of people in the audiance, who have no concept of how these type of things work with all the red tape got up and started b!tching about the time frame. :nopity: They (City of San Ho) say when it is re-opened they will be working with riders to get their input on the park's features, and the park will have beginner, intermediate, and expert lines. There MAY even be some opportunities for riders to do some of the work on a very minor scale. There will also be a fence around the park with only one opening and all kinds of rules signs stuck to it. Hopefully it's not a bunch of B.S. Personally I think the City of SJ is doing a great thing, sure, it's because of public outcry, but none the less, they are going out on a limb just by re-opening it. I think they recoginize that no matter how "dangerous" Cali is to riders, neighbors..etc, it's still nowhere as dangerous as letting your 16 year old hang out on King and Story on a Saturday evening. The parks guy didn't really go into "the suit" much, but gave more of a 360 view of all the opposition; neighbors, environmental agencies, trash, vandalism, and a little bit on the liability.

But hey, more importantly check this out!--> http://www.evolutionbikeshop.com/

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
MVRIDER gave a great synopsis on the situation. I was at the meeting too...general consesus seemed to be 11 months (or more). Also remind that there will be no future use of the creek beds - bye bye "nut".