Quantcast

Whats the take on these FORKS!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK It looks like Im doing the Foes Fly for my FR rig and need a fork now.

I know my big forks but now i need some input on single crowns 180mm.
As all who knows me I like rough stuff and dont want to be limited on a ride due to equiptment, so I've narrowed it down to the big 3!

Marzocchi 66
rc3x or slata
Rock shox
solo air or coil
Don't know if Fox is kicking out a 180mm single crown and if so then it'll be considered.

Style- Some hucks to flat/Gaps/Doubles/Step downs/DH racing/Urban/Really ROCK stuff!
220lbs and aggresive riding style!

So of the 2 rock shox or 2 marz. Which one of the 4???????

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
66. And I've got one I'll sell ya!
But seriously...stick with Marz. So smooth....
RS owns the world of air forks...Zocchi owns the world of butter!

I've got yer fork right here......

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
I have ridden 3 of them, and don't know anything other than what I have read online about the solo air. In my opinion the 66 rc3x feels the best out of the 3 I have ridden.

66 RC3x = heavier, will feel the best when broken in.
66 slata= does not feel as plush as rc3x, very adjustable.
Totem Coil= very plush, was difficult to adjust on the fly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Of all the single crowns I've ridden, the totem solo air has impressed me the most.

So now I own one.

My only gripe is that they don't seem to have their seals worked out.

I also haven't ridden the brand new zoke 66s so I've got no input on those.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i got a 66 rc3 with a 1.5 steerer for cheap if you're interested. Its a great fork, but I want something taller and with longer travel ala an 888rc3 or possibly a boxxer team. donno if the fly has a 1.5 headtube but since i work at a shop i'd be willing to let it go pretty cheap with few qualms, PM me if you're interested

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've had a Totem 2-step which failed miserably and became a Totem Solo Air. It felt great and I didn't have any seal problems with it. Unfortunately I wanted travel adjust so I got rid of it and picked up an 08 66 ATA. It's the best move I've ever made. I've always owned Marzocchi forks so the damping just feels right to me. Easily tunable, super plush with a nice ramp up at the end stroke.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love my 07 66 ETA. I can lower it for the climbs, hit the switch, and bomb the DH/FR trails. It feels pretty darn close to a 888. Im still not a fan of air.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i had a 1.5 ST totem 2 step that was eventually replaced by RS with a solo air (on my uzzi).

not many miles on the new fork but so far it rocks. i never had seal issues w/ the 2 step (just issues w/ the 2 step cartridge).

I could've gotten store credit toward a new fork, and had to make a decision between marz and RS.

since my bike gets ridden uphill semi-regularly, i wanted to keep the weight down. the air marz travel adjust has a rep for problems. also the maxxle has worked very well for me, and the oil drainage ports on the totem have worked well, so i ended up sticking w/ RS.

since my rides tend to be long slogs followed by a descent, i'm using the ghetto travel adjust: i just let our some air pressure in the fork (valve conveniently on top of fork), bump up the low speed compression, and ride on up. takes a minute to air it up at the top but i'm usually putting on pads then anyway.

i'm a bigger guy so i tend to notice fork flex; the 1.5 totem feels stiffest to me in this category, but that's subjective.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
bulllcrew , when you describe your riding style as aggressive that's a under statement , your a friggin mad man on 2 wheels. i'd go with the 66 . dirty runs 66 and he's a big guy to so you might want to talk to him tomorrow @ the races.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Of all the single crowns I've ridden, the totem solo air has impressed me the most.

So now I own one.

My only gripe is that they don't seem to have their seals worked out.

I also haven't ridden the brand new zoke 66s so I've got no input on those.
woo - what are the issues with the seals that you are having? are you blowing out oil, air, or both?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
woo - what are the issues with the seals that you are having? are you blowing out oil, air, or both?
Nothing as serious as an air cart.

Just the seals on the fork lowers that hold the lube oil.

I've got some new ones in there (third set) that I haven't ridden yet. Maybe this is the magic number.

A buddy of mine who weighs about 140 has gone through about six sets. We both got ours around the same time. Another friend of ours got one as soon as they were available last year and has had no problems at all. I think there was a bad china batch or something.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So someone help me out here...Has rock shox given up on the two step? I noticed they arent even available for 08? I loved my totem solo but the reason i sold it was the fact that it didnt have travel adjust...

I would love to go back to one but i need adjustment?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
they haven't been able to solve the travel loss problem yet. If you want one, you'll have to find one used. Theres a pretty easy 10 dollar fix that you can do to solve the wind down problem, but I guess RS wants to do more R&D to make the fix a little less mcgyvered.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Enduro sells Totem seals now.

I was thinking of going with a Totem as a new fork, but I've seen a few sieze up mid ride from water and crap getting into the lowers. Even then I hear bad things about being too easy to bottom out.

Went with an 08 66rc3. I've never seen a zoke that allowed crap to get into the fork like the Totem.

I think the problem is the larger diameter stanchions. They might of had to use a looser seal to prevent too much stiction, compared to the 32mm forks which can have more pressure with the same amount of stiction. I've never had that issue on any of my Boxxers, or Pikes.

Nothing as serious as an air cart.

Just the seals on the fork lowers that hold the lube oil.

I've got some new ones in there (third set) that I haven't ridden yet. Maybe this is the magic number.

A buddy of mine who weighs about 140 has gone through about six sets. We both got ours around the same time. Another friend of ours got one as soon as they were available last year and has had no problems at all. I think there was a bad china batch or something.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Enduro sells Totem seals now..
oh really?

That's good to know. If these seals do the same, I'm going blue.

I was thinking of going with a Totem as a new fork, but I've seen a few sieze up mid ride from water and crap getting into the lowers. Even then I hear bad things about being too easy to bottom out.

Went with an 08 66rc3. I've never seen a zoke that allowed crap to get into the fork like the Totem.
Now on this I have no idea what you're talking about. I suppose it makes sense that if oil can get out (under pressure mind you when the fork compresses) that dirt can get in......but that's something I've never even heard of. I did have a buddy with an old manitou sherman have to empty out about an inch of mud in his fork after a muddy week on the shore. :rofl:

I don't live in washington though mind you. You guys ride in a lot more mud than I do.

As far as bottoming out.......not even........at least with the solo air version. It's one of the smoothest most reasonably progressive forks I've ever ridden.

One of the reasons I got the fork was to replace my 66rcx. Which I bottomed out hard enough a few times to strip the threads on the damper rod, necessitating an entire catridge replacement. Now THAT got annoying. And this was riding the exact same trails I ride the totem on. I definitely prefer the totem.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Wow, great thread. No less than 3 different I-want-to-sell-you-my-used-crap posts!
Not to sound like I'm MOE reincarnated but,
AAAAAY!!!! Whatsamattawitchyou!!! :disgust:

I'll have you know that my crappy fork is BRAND SPANKING NEW crap! Came on my bike I bought in January. I took off the single crown and put a travis triple on day one. It too is unused waiting for the warm weather to break so I can use my new bike.

Sounds to good to be true yes, but a brand new 7 inch Travis 180mm with a 1.5 steer tube I can't use. My other bike is a 1 and an 1/8th steer tube! Trust me, I'd use it if I could!

I'd trade it for a BRAND NEW Travis 180mm 1-1/8th. But finding one in the same condition mine is, as in BRAND NEW unused, without a scratch on it, would be difficult.

So mine is a BRAND NEW crappy fork. proudly sticks tongue out

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hmmm yeah that sucks i definately dont want the 2 step until they can sort it out...

I'll prob ride out this season on what i got in hopes of some new bits for 09...My fork(s) can take another season of flogging.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
hahaha, my crap seems to be popular crap, and i'm upgrading to the next size up for a bigger crap (888rc3)

guess crap is a good thing here!

except the travis, that really is crap

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Not to sound like I'm MOE reincarnated but,
AAAAAY!!!! Whatsamattawitchyou!!! :disgust:
Who cares if it's new crap. I hate that in almost every thread anymore there's at least one guy who says "XYZ is great and I just happen to be selling mine". People looking to buy, and especially those looking to sell, should visit the Buy & Sell. Maybe that's too logical for some?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What's funny about this, Bulldog, is that you're the only one crying about it.
Don't like it, don't buy it, it's really pretty simple. Or are you just so tempted you're pissed off because you can't fight the urge to throw your credit card at something?
Kinda sound like my wife, bitchin about something that just doesn't really f'ckin matter.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
What's funny about this, Bulldog, is that you're the only one crying about it.
Don't like it, don't buy it, it's really pretty simple. Or are you just so tempted you're pissed off because you can't fight the urge to throw your credit card at something?
Kinda sound like my wife, bitchin about something that just doesn't really f'ckin matter.
What's really funny is how the rules don't matter to so many. But this is the internet, where the population of adult-age juveniles is flourishing. Whatever, have fun pushing your crap in the discussion forums.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Don't remember you bitchin about the Buy and Sell thread in the BMX forum?
Seriously... if I posted a thread concerning 4 different forks, I'd be thrilled as hell to see a bunch of offers pop up for many different reasons.
Turns out Bullcrew(you know, the guy who started this thread and ISN'T bitchin?) apparently STOLE a fork right off some poor kids bike in the parking lot and dropped a few bucks in the bed... lucky bastid...

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
yeah there are known issues but marz fixes them. I red all the bs then I rode it and was amazed. I was able to keep the fork soft but never bottom out.

all people do is write negative crap on the intraweb so you get a predisposed notion of what will happen, kinda like thinking that first star wars movie of the prequill was gonna be dope then jar jar made it suck....anyhow i got in touch with a guy at marz that was unbelievaby helpful and has my fork right now. I will give another update but even with the issues the fork was amazing and crazee light.