Quantcast

What's the verdict on 27.5"+?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is definitely a dentist/doctor-approved bike. BUY IT NOW... or hold out for the e-bike version coming in the fall :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
all i can think is these jumbo XL tires are enjoyed by people who aren't going that fast in the first place.
I rode maybe 15 minutes on a Specialized Fuse this past weekend. A friend who bought a fat bike last year to ride our local trail system (flatter than a top model's rack) got tired of praising them and went one tire size down, obviously gaining boat loads of speed, comfort, stiffness, compliance, and any other positive qualities modern bike brands like to brag about. The guy says it has the compliance of a short-legged dual suspension without the extra weight. I can't disagree more.

Even on our classic Autumn slippery mud-over-hardpack trail conditions that thing sucked donkey balls when you really wanted it to go fast. Uber bouncy tires and wet roots don't really belong to each other. And if you want to have support from a berm on a tight turn, you better bring a jackhammer to mash the front end down. I can't imagine how those saran wrap tires would survive in teh East Coast Rox™ gnar.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Uber bouncy tires
I've figured it out! What the industry needs is a new kind of + tire that has a bit of stretch to its casing. The stretch/rebound characteristics could be tailored to match the air spring of the tire's volume a la rebound damping on a shock. New tire for each kind of ride!

You heard it here first.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've figured it out! What the industry needs is a new kind of + tire that has a bit of stretch to its casing. The stretch/rebound characteristics could be tailored to match the air spring of the tire's volume a la rebound damping on a shock. New tire for each kind of ride!

You heard it here first.
Hmmmm... maybe tires made out of:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I remember those. I split a few of them on my ProFlex 550 before I upgraded it to the new hotness, Microcellular Elastomer.

Hell, I found a photo of me at 11.5 years of age with said Proflex, pre-MCE upgrade.

I remember the choice in the bike shop was that Proflex with LX for $750 or a Trek aluminum framed rigid bike with Deore DX (sweet thumb shifters and all) for $800. I should have convinced my parents to get me that Trek instead. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Owned a 29+, thought it was cumbersome though slightly cushier than a regular 29er. Sold it and kept the 29er.

I just bought a B+. Not because I wanted a B+, but because the frame was identical to a 29er and I can just swap the wheels. I'm not a huge fan of the B+, I just don't see the advantages. If the frame wasn't boosted, I'd have already swapped the wheels over, but I'll be looking to build up a set of generic 29er wheels for it to get smaller rubber, and probably keep the half fats for winter riding when floatation is needed.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I have a 27.5+ and actually like it a lot. Setup is a little more critical than non-plus bikes, the tires seem to interact with the suspension a lot more than one would expect.

I don't race XC any more and likely never will, I just wanted a really capable all around bike that climbs and descends well, jumps well and floats over rocky rooty crap. So far I'm super pleased jumping up to a 2.8" tire bike.

Having read the previous replies in this thread, I'm sure I'm in for a healthy internet lambasting since this is my first post. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a 27.5+ and actually like it a lot. Setup is a little more critical than non-plus bikes, the tires seem to interact with the suspension a lot more than one would expect.

I don't race XC any more and likely never will, I just wanted a really capable all around bike that climbs and descends well, jumps well and floats over rocky rooty crap. So far I'm super pleased jumping up to a 2.8" tire bike.

Having read the previous replies in this thread, I'm sure I'm in for a healthy internet lambasting since this is my first post. :)
No lambasting, drugs is for all kinds of people. YMMV.

Nov 18, 2016
Why do you hide your reply in the quote?

Points taken, all. I don't think I'd be happy with a 12" bottom bracket Switchblade on 2.4" tires so that idea's out. That narrows the list down to just something like this:

Yeti SB5C
Santa Cruz Bronson
Santa Cruz 5010
Kona Process 134 DL
Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
Transition Bikes Patrol Carbon
Transition Bikes Scout
Pivot Mach 4
Pivot Mach 6 Carbon

Kill me now.
I know a lot of those companies have some sort of demo program, but Guerrilla Gravity bikes can be really easy to access. Email them and they can often find a bike in your area for you to test ride. They also came out with their new 27.5+/29er bike that has a flip chip to accommodate both wheel sizes so you can run the tire that you like the best. Might be worth looking into getting a demo of one.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I bought a 5010 in July so I'm all set.
I am on my 2nd 5010, good choice. I'm quite happy with the way my 5010 rides.

I haven't ridden a plus bike out on the trails yet, but my fatboy gets some miles in usually from december thru march....it's not real fun in the summer time, I can't imagine that a plus would be either.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone, but it suits me and the trails here and how I like to ride. I don't notice the little bit of extra weight at all, maybe the first couple of pedal strokes when getting going on a climb, but that's honestly about it.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
I test rode an IBIS mojo 3 27.5+ with 2.9" tires. It was fun. I smiled alot. I see the appeal. Turns sand traps into concrete, velcro traction on loose over hard pack.

The downside:
1. so much rubber that there are two rebounds, one for the tires, one for the suspension system. It might not be a big deal to most riders. It's noticeable in really stutter bumpy areas.
2. Big tires kind of grab rocks in tech areas

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
After about 100 or so miles now, one thing I've noticed is tire pressure makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. There seems to be a much more intimate relationship between the tires and the suspension than non-plus bikes. I also think a lot of people buy plus bikes with the sole intention of running ultra low PSI which to me just makes the bike sloppy and feel like it has flat tires.

I run higher pressures than a lot of plus guys probably, but haven't noticed any bounciness or anything, I do have my bike setup pretty plush tho. I'm still running Maxxis Rekon's and really like them as an all around tire.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I loved my Surly Instigator with the Jr T up front and 24x3" IRC Kujos...

Regarding the plus tires, I always wondered if they'd be good on a rigid bike.

Osco

Chimp
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
I rode a full squish 27.5 x 3.0, way overkill on so many fronts.
Then I rode 27.5 x 2.8, that actually measured out to 27.5 x 2.7,, On a Good Hard Tail frame..
Bought that one and sold my 27.5 x 2.35 full squish,,

So glad to be back on a Hard Tail, and one without the harshness at that !
My stock Boost wheels feel stiff and light just like my previous upgraded really good wheels did on my other bike.
Have not looked back !

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
When they first started coming out I said that it will not work. The tires were to thin/flimsy or weighed far to much. Back in the day I rode the classic ht with 26x2.6" Gazza front and back on Mavic D321 rims (29mm inner and 135mm hubs. It´s weird that we could ride that without boost and with pretty darn short chainstays buts that a different discussion) and besides the weight it was awesome. After just one year we are down to 2.8" tires on plus tires and with tires that are much more robust. I think it will settle down on 2.5"-2.6". Have some 2.6" SE4 that weigh 990g on order for my bike to test out, normally run DHF 2.35 exo for trail riding so it will be nice with some extra cushioning on my local trails that has so many roots on them.