Quantcast

what's the word on burly non steel cranks these days?

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
would prefere a 5 bolt alloy crank i can set up for 2 + MRP lrp. the new badger cranks (which i have had and were great) now suck.

i am hard on equipment and like it stiff, so heavy is ok and probably good. otherwise i am looking at the 4 bolt saint or the hossefelt (sp?) not the hussefelt.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
i belive you are speeking of the hozefeller (slightly better spelling haaha) I have a set their good cranks and their not to heavy.

Just so you know not many companys are using 5 bolt any more, the 4bolt set up is gaining favour.

As for the best beef in the biz. I'd recomend the RaceFace Diablos cranks. they are huge! + have an excellent warrenty in case you mess up on your new 30 ft drop :)

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
5 bolt for the most part is being faded out. Almost all of the cranks you will find today are 4 bolt. On that note I picked a set of Diabolus cranks a little while ago and so far they rock. Have only had one ride on them, but with the few drops and stuff I put them through they seemed to hold up really nicely.

If you are interested I have a set of 5 bolt Race Face Northshore DH cranks for sale. PM me for more info.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I switched from profiles to raceface turbine square tapers on my urban bike with old skool 110 spacing. Dropped a bunch of unecessary weight and so far, so good. It's not limited my riding any.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
FYI I know a few people who have been very frustrated with Diabolus cranks loosening up no matter what they do. I'd say go with Saint or the truvativs.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Stop being a weight weenie by some profiles and call it a day. This is freeriding not a spandex wearing contest. :D

Just kidding, but seriously, a set of profiles will still be going strong long after you've hosed several pairs of the best alloy cranks available. If your dead set against it do your self a favor and atleast dont buy the northshores. They strip out on the spindle after some moderate abuse and will never stay tight after that again. I've gone through 2sets, what a waste of money. Thats just my 2 cents

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Changleen said:
Never had a problem with my RaceFace NorthShores. Done quite a bit of dropping on them too.
Pure Shizz. You must ride like a girl. :sneaky:
I had a pair on my hardtail........Junk. Had a pair on my Dare..........Junk. The only thing good about them is that there gonna warranty em so I can pass em along to someone else.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mr Tiles said:
I switched from profiles to raceface turbine square tapers on my urban bike with old skool 110 spacing. Dropped a bunch of unecessary weight and so far, so good. It's not limited my riding any.
hey ... glad those are working out for ya. :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Changleen said:
Never had a problem with my RaceFace NorthShores. Done quite a bit of dropping on them too.
Most people who consider themselves "droppers" don't understand what kind of abuse Amish dishes out. He is what you would call a "worst case scenario" for crank manufacturers. No fear and the skill to back it up.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I've been running RF Diabolus cranks for over a year now and have had two pairs. They replaced some Kona Buldge cranks and actually feel stiffer and took off a bunch of weight. If you're super hard on parts/like to grind/don't have much finesse then sure, go with profiles, they're probably the burliest cranks you can buy, but for most I think they're overkill.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
it should rock but considering they are not avalible yet no one will have a true answer to this question. i have only have one problem with a FSA crank in the past and they hooked my up really fast with a new set

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
rigidhack said:
Has anybody heard anything about the 2pc FSA Gravity (external bearing) setup?
I've ridden the ISIS version, but the External setup isn't out yet, I don't think. The ISIS ones are nice, but in my opinion, I like the Diabolus X-Type setup a little better. They almost feel like steel cranks.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Well a trade off might be the FSA Pounders

STEEL crank arms
ISIS drive BB
They are 4 bolt. :(

I haven't had a wimper out of them on my DH bike. Though I had a hard time finding them when I wanted them. I went straight to the source....FSA is about 6 miles from my house. But the cranks were still hard to find.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
My first set of steel cranks was the Azoniv 454's that I put on my Scratch, and they put EVERY aluminum crank that I have ever had to shame. I want to put a set of Deity cranks on my DH bike, they are far stiffer than most any aluminum crank I've ever tried.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
motomike said:
haha I was about to say that... I can't stand it when I hear "holzfelter"
haha. I hate it when they "Hozzefelts", or "Hozzelfellers". Kinda like when people say "Mar-zotch-e" instead of "Mar-zo-key", it just sounds retarded.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
dexter said:
deity cranks with a ti bb. best of all worlds. light as truvativ but 100x stronger
Deity cranks, especially with a Ti BB, put all the "lightweight" DH aluminum cranksets I've ridden to shame, period.