Quantcast

what's the "worst" beer you like?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the Inbred said:
you mean New Belgium makes more than one style, or are there various versions of New Belgium's Fat Tire that went under my radar?

i haven't seen Loft in Texas, but had some in California and i liked it. it's also a New Belgium.
He means New Belgium. Fat Tire is their "amber/red ale." I've never been impressed by their lineup. Haven't tasted it all, but some of their styles of beer I'm not even interested in trying........

Now if they'd make an IPA...... :D

-S.S.-

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
llkoolkeg said:
Worst cheap beer- Black Label
Worst 40- Cool Colt(menthol malt liquor)
Worst Microbrew- Cave Creek Chili Beer...and I normally like spicy stuff
Worst light beer- Busch Light
Ditto on anything w/the "Colt" label on it. . . the only malt likka to make me sicka. Never a problem w/the Bull, OE, Magnum, Mickey's, or even that Dragon sh!t. But the Colt came back up quick.

Can you still get Black Label? I preferred it to Shaefer for sure. For some reason Shaefer always tasted like it had been skunked, and had some sand kicked in it. . . sand that a skunk pissed in.

In high school we had to hoarde our leftover beers under carseats, in backpacks, and in the bushes. To cool them off fast we'd fill a bucket halfway w/ice, throw the beers in, then add water and stir fast for about 10min. Once they got down to about 32.01*F, we forgot what was on the label.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Fathead said:
In high school we had to hoarde our leftover beers under carseats, in backpacks, and in the bushes. To cool them off fast we'd fill a bucket halfway w/ice, throw the beers in, then add water and stir fast for about 10min. Once they got down to about 32.01*F, we forgot what was on the label.
Did you really need to stir it? I do a version of that now in college sometimes when my buddy has parties since he has no fridge. We just fill up a trash can with snow and bury them.

Anyways, I don't mind cheap beer so much. Sometimes it's not so bad. Just gotta enjoy it for what it is. It CAN be refreshing. My fav cheapo is Labatt followed by PBR. After that, it doesn't really matter. I usually don't buy that stuff. I don't spend much money, so most of my cash is spent on bike parts, car expenses and booze so I buy decent stuff.

I have a friend who's favorite beer is Bud Light. I kid you not; he LOVES the stuff. I went to his B-day party and he had 4 kegs of it plus a few 30s. Plus, he is opposed to regular Budweiser on moral grounds or something. I tried to explain to him that the Bud people are the Bud Light people, but he doesn't seem to care.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, I don't get the whole Pabst movement lately. The beer has been around forever, now all of a sudden young people are "discovering" it. Ah well, I guess it's just a matter of trying to be trendy.
I'm not sure what the deal with PBR is, either. My friends all claim to love PBR, but frankly, it's just a cheap beer and doesn't taste all that great.

I don't really do cheap beer anymore, but if I'm, say, at a bar where there's dollar beers, I'll take a Bud or a PBR. I've been developing a taste for Molsen since my girlfriend's dad stocks it in his house and loves the fact that I like beer, so he practically throws 'em at me when I walk in the door.

I have to be pretty drunk to get near a Coors, though. OE 40's are pretty ghetto, but I've been to so many great parties with OE 40's that I think I associate them with a good time and don't really mind 'em :D

Corona is great, actually, especially in the summer. I prefer it with the lime, sometimes two - something about that citrus flavor is excellent.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Worst beer I've had was some Hamms Light.

My girlfriend is partial to Miller Light, so I drink quite a bit of it. But, I also like Rolling Rock, Pabst, and Old Milwaukee tallboys.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Colin said:
Worst beer I've had was some Hamms Light.

My girlfriend is partial to Miller Light, so I drink quite a bit of it. But, I also like Rolling Rock, Pabst, and Old Milwaukee tallboys.
You better not be bringing any of that crap to the Group ride Saturday! :nope: :nope:

edit... eh Miller or Rolling Rock are doable. But if I see any old mud you are in trouble

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
youngsters here drink a lot of Nati Light. especially back in my home town. Nati Light cans all over the backroads. i went to a frat party once that had it in a keg. a little disappointing.

Molsen Canadian - worst beer i think i will ever have.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
the Inbred said:
youngsters here drink a lot of Nati Light.
I was hardened on Nati light kegs..... mmmm $33 for the whole Keg in G'ville, FL circa ~91 til... I dont remember

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
When i was 17 we would drink whatever we could get our hands on and growing up in the Hawthorne Ca. I can't remember if it was Ralph's or Vons. But one of them sold beer in a white can with a blue stripe around it and it just said "beer" on it. That is the worse i have ever had.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Colin said:
I don't think it's much more today.
Word. And it's still pretty nasty. I mean, Nati is cheap, but I have my standards.

Well, not saying that I've never gotten hammered off of it...or Busch...or Icehouse...or Keystone.......just that I try to avoid....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
SkaredShtles said:
They're hipster doofuses? :p

-S.S.-
no way... when I was growing up I thought "beer" WAS Pabst. I think my folks must have owned stock or something. What resurgence, PBR never left?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pacifico is my current favorite bad beer, I got hooked on it in Mexico years ago, when you are roasting on a hot beach there are few things better than an ice cold pacifico...so long as the tequila's already gone...

When I was in college we used to get cases of Milwaukee's Best in bottles for like $8. Oh man did we drink a lot of the BEAST...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DßR said:
no way... when I was growing up I thought "beer" WAS Pabst. I think my folks must have owned stock or something. What resurgence, PBR never left?
true, it never left, but i would be willing to wager that sales have gotten a LOT bigger in the last 5 years or so, over their growth of the previous years. it's everywhere nowadays.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
laura said:
sol. es muy bein.
Every bottle is peed in by an authentic mexican. For that authentic south of the border flavor.

Seriously, that and corona comes pre-skunked. Mexico needs to give up on brewing lagers. They just don't have the climate. Any time a wedge of lime is needed you know the beer is bad.

I don't get the whole PBR thing either. It's suddenly considered cool to drink really crappy beer. The bums under the bridge are now trendy. Dressed for the occasion, even.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
-BB- said:
Pabst Blue Ribbon.

PBR
Whenever someone hands me a Heineken or PBR, I like to yell like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet: "Heineken! Heineken! F--k that s--t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!"

Sometimes when I call friends and get the machine, I just yell that. They know who called, at least.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
JRogers said:
Whenever someone hands me a Heineken or PBR, I like to yell like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet: "Heineken! Heineken! F--k that s--t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!"

Sometimes when I call friends and get the machine, I just yell that. They know who called, at least.
Never had that Papsmear stuff or whatever it's called but that's what I always remember when some-one mentions it.
Bad beer- any of the Japanese ones as that's all that's available without selling a kidney.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
valve bouncer said:
Never had that Papsmear stuff or whatever it's called but that's what I always remember when some-one mentions it.
Bad beer- any of the Japanese ones as that's all that's available without selling a kidney.
What kinda beer will a kidney buy you? Isn't that why we have 2?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
You know those CD's you sent me? I hate 'em, especially that song by Mission of Burma and that other one by yo la tengo...almost forgot..that one by Tar. Hate 'em so much I'm thinking of buying those albums to confirm their crapness. :D :D