Quantcast

What's tougher, Golf or Cycling?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/sports/golf/19caddie.html

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — If playing golf in a downpour is miserable and demoralizing, imagine what it is like for caddies, whose primary job in a rainstorm is to keep the players as happy and as dry as possible, even if that means the caddies get more wet and uncomfortable.

It is the caddie’s job to hold an umbrella over his player’s head as the caddie stands outside the umbrella in the rain. Occasionally, a player might hold the umbrella for himself and his caddie, but only to help the caddie determine the yardage of the next shot. Even a golf bag has priority over the caddie when it comes to staying dry. The caddie might hold an umbrella over his head and the pro’s bag, but if the caddie puts the bag down and walks away, the umbrella remains over the bag.

“It’s your job to take the torture,” said John Rathouz, caddie for John Merrick, a rising star on the PGA Tour. “You just throw the bag on your shoulder and trudge on.”
Comparison cyclocross mechanic:

It holds four spares and will make your mechanic’s day. At one point I had this on my back while carrying a wash bucket, spare bike, and helping a neutral support haul his pressure washer down a rain soaked hill. Magical. My quads hurt more today than after any on-bike event this year. Racers, give your mechanic a hug.
http://race.cx/2008/12/24/wheel-bags-and-world-cups/

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Golf can be mentally challenging at times, but it's far from "tough". My friends make fun of me because I always rent a cart. I tell them "If I want to get exercise, I'll ride my bike".

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Are we talking about playing golf/riding a bike or what your support staff has to do on any given day?

Golf wins easily. Better money, hotels, pvssy, food, etc. for players and caddies.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What's more frustrating: a tough day on the course or a broken arm?
Ahhh... I see what you tried to do there.

I personally find golf to be far more frustrating then mountain biking. And yes, I have been broken while riding. 2 plates and 12 screws. My leg healed... my golf swing still sucks.

:)

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I used to chase little white balls through the woods and kept losing them, so I switched to little orange balls, but I lost those, too. I figured that since I was spending so much time in the woods, I might just as well ride my bike in the woods.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I am watched the finals of the US Open before I head to work. I was thinking if every schmuck who paid to see some guys walk around manicured lawns worked one hour each on trail building, we could build Garbanzo and A-Line in Central Park.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I didn't know that.

I love how rich people care enough to start foundations only when they're affected.
I can understand your feelings on that.

The PGA Tour gives more money to charities per year than any other sports organization. 1.4 billion since 1938. Over 2,000 charities are recipients of that money. Although the economic crunch has seen a drop in donations of about 14% over the course of 2009, the Tour still gave a respectable 124 million last year alone.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I can understand your feelings on that.

The PGA Tour gives more money to charities per year than any other sports organization. 1.4 billion since 1938. Over 2,000 charities are recipients of that money. Although the economic crunch has seen a drop in donations of about 14% over the course of 2009, the Tour still gave a respectable 124 million last year alone.
I love the PGA donating to charities. The golf wives can wear pretty dresses and to to Galas.

I did notice that once a minority was atop the money list and started his own foundation, the PGA sure started advertising how much they were giving out too.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I love the PGA donating to charities. The golf wives can wear pretty dresses and to to Galas.

I did notice that once a minority was atop the money list and started his own foundation, the PGA sure started advertising how much they were giving out too.
Don't get all wound up. You can wear your pretty dresses to galas too.

You know, no one is required to give to charities or the less fortunate. Finding issue with those who do no matter how much or little you give is a really chicken sh1t thing to do. At least they are giving. How much and why doesn't really matter. Would you rather they not give anything at all?

Better that the rich give to charities instead of funneling that money to politicians and lobbyists.