Quantcast

What's up with balfa

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
someone may have already asked this, but whats going on with balfa, i sent in an order for a new rear swingarm for my bb7 like a year ago, they replied and said that it'll be on its way, and i've heard nothing from them. their website doesn't work, and i'm here in the dark. are they out of business, or did someone buy them out? someone help.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Long story short:

Procycle (manufacturer of Rocky Mountain, Oryx, and Retail store crap) bought them in 2002 (Correct me if I'm wrong here), then after a year or so, decided to stop the productions of Balfa's since they were (Balfa) too good bike and killed the market for Rocky Mountain bike, Procycle wanted to promote RM bikes only, and ''killed'' the competition. They honored warranty issues of Balfa owners. Then they have sold the remaining of the frame and parts production as well as the Balfa name to the UK distributor (last winter). Two months ago, former Balfa creator, designer and employee, decided to bring back the BB7 design in a new bike. They called the company Cycles Appalaches and the frame name is the Real. Its a BB7 twin brother, but revamped and lighter.

Here's a picture of it:

Attachments

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Here is the web site of the canadian distributor, click on products, then Cycles Appalaches, and then click on the Real link to get all the specs, and BTW yas they are for sale, canadian MSRP is around $2900.00 (CAD), you do the math for USD!!!

http://www.yodobike.com/

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Transcend said:
The math = ridiculously expensive.
How so? What's the canadian retail price for the 224 again? :blah:

I agree it is too expensive for a bicycle frame, but when you compare it to other DH frames on the market it doesn't seems "ridiculously" expensive. All of them are too expensive!!!

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
Ma
the looks just doesn't do anything for me. I liked the BB7 better as far as looks go.

maybe have a carbon front triangle that fix it

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
FlipSide said:

I agree it is too expensive for a bicycle frame, but when you compare it to other DH frames on the market it doesn't seems "ridiculously" expensive. All of them are too expensive!!!

Only 224s are imported to canada and are ridiculously INEXPENSIVE in the UK. Shipping alone on a frame by frame basis is about $300cnd, and 15% import tax (no duty on frames only - bikes incur a huge duty of almost 20%)

See my point? :cool:

I have to agree, they are all too expensive unless you get a killer deal. A crf 150f is gonna cost me half of what a Dh frame retails for...retarded.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
FlipSide said:

the main reason they are this expensive is Jerome decided to go with a distributor, Yodo Bike, who like any distributor is taking a good cut, if he sold them direct i'd imagine$2300cdn or $1995 usd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sirbikealot said:
the main reason they are this expensive is Jerome decided to go with a distributor, Yodo Bike, who like any distributor is taking a good cut, if he sold them direct i'd imagine$2300cdn or $1995 usd
I still think that's high.

Consider that your commencal or my orange has a suggested retail in canada right around $3000, and are both imported with ridiculously high fees and shipping.

What did a BB7 go for anyways? I seem to remember them being around $1800 cnd or something absurdly low when i worked in shops in Montreal? (I could be WAY off on the bb7 numbers).

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
hellonasty said:
Long story short:

Procycle .....decided to stop the productions of Balfa's since they were (Balfa) too good bike and killed the market for Rocky Mountain bike, Procycle wanted to promote RM bikes only, and ''killed'' the competition....
not sure whats the bigger joke, that post or their QC issues...:rolleyes:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Transcend said:
Only 224s are imported to canada and are ridiculously INEXPENSIVE in the UK. Shipping alone on a frame by frame basis is about $300cnd, and 15% import tax (no duty on frames only - bikes incur a huge duty of almost 20%)

See my point? :cool:

I have to agree, they are all too expensive unless you get a killer deal. A crf 150f is gonna cost me half of what a Dh frame retails for...retarded.
Yeah...I see your point. I just wanted to point out that it's still much less than a Turner/Intense/Foes/Orange/Nicolai/etc DH frame...I was in total agreement with "expensive"...but not with "ridiculously". I never wanted to start an e-fight or anything about it. :) :cool: