Quantcast

Whats up with Bend, Oregon?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
First Heidi, then April Lawyer and now one of co-workers and her husband are going to make the move to the place called Bend, Oregon. I'm sad to see them leave SoCal but I understand. Now, I have to go visit and see what this city is all about.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Alright, commercial, time for a proper response.

This is easily the most beautiful community I have ever seen. I love Boulder, but on pure aesthetics Bend beats it hands down. There is a large ski area 20 minutes away. There are more mountain bike trails than you can shake a stick at - although most are beginner by most peoples standards here on RM. However, people have been buidling a lot of new, technical stuff lately. There is endless hiking, climbing, mountains, desert, motocross - we have it all.

But its getting really big, really fast. I think we are pushing 70k people now and thousands move here every year. The big mountains and trails West of town are fricken PACKED with people much of the time. East in the desert is still great though.

Between the fricken Forest Circus and the Bend Parks and Rec department, it's pretty much a crime to own a dog in this town anymore. There is no public place anywhere where you can have a dog off a leash without getting an obscene fine. you will pay more if your dog takes one step into the street than you will for running a red light in this town - and that is no exageration.

Money runs this town. Developers run this town. Historic, public good etc means **** here these days. We have 70k people and not one form of true public transport. Plan on owning a jacked up Excursion or get the **** outta the way. Police don't do jack unless they are writing people 250 dollar tickets because their dogs are chasing a frisbee in the park. It is seemingly OK to park you gigantic truck on the sidewalk so it doesnt hang out 10 feet into the street, and it's OK to virtually run down a pedestrian downtown, but you better not have your dog off a leash. Ever.

People with money have moved here. People from out of state that want the "outdoor" experience, but they sure as hell don't want to get dirty or be bothered by a dog in the park. This town belongs to those people now.

I've lived here on and off for ten years, but I'll move on in a few.

Boulder is always the butt of the Front Range jokes - but at least Boulder knows how to create a community for ALL people - without compromises. Not many places are run that way.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Ridemonkey said:
Alright, commercial, time for a proper response.

This is easily the most beautiful community I have ever seen. I love Boulder, but on pure aesthetics Bend beats it hands down. There is a large ski area 20 minutes away. There are more mountain bike trails than you can shake a stick at - although most are beginner by most peoples standards here on RM. However, people have been buidling a lot of new, technical stuff lately. There is endless hiking, climbing, mountains, desert, motocross - we have it all.

But its getting really big, really fast. I think we are pushing 70k people now and thousands move here every year. The big mountains and trails West of town are fricken PACKED with people much of the time. East in the desert is still great though.

Between the fricken Forest Circus and the Bend Parks and Rec department, it's pretty much a crime to own a dog in this town anymore. There is no public place anywhere where you can have a dog off a leash without getting an obscene fine. you will pay more if your dog takes one step into the street than you will for running a red light in this town - and that is no exageration.

Money runs this town. Developers run this town. Historic, public good etc means **** here these days. We have 70k people and not one form of true public transport. Plan on owning a jacked up Excursion or get the **** outta the way. Police don't do jack unless they are writing people 250 dollar tickets because their dogs are chasing a frisbee in the park. It is seemingly OK to park you gigantic truck on the sidewalk so it doesnt hang out 10 feet into the street, and it's OK to virtually run down a pedestrian downtown, but you better not have your dog off a leash. Ever.

People with money have moved here. People from out of state that want the "outdoor" experience, but they sure as hell don't want to get dirty or be bothered by a dog in the park. This town belongs to those people now.

I've lived here on and off for ten years, but I'll move on in a few.

Boulder is always the butt of the Front Range jokes - but at least Boulder knows how to create a community for ALL people - without compromises. Not many places are run that way.
So if Bend is getting runover, do you have a suggestion for similar places that are a few years behind this housing rush? I've been checking out Oregon and Idaho, Boulder, CO is catching my interest as well. Not planning on moving now, but after college I'm looking to get out of CA. I've heard tons of good things about Bend, but I also really don't want to get the same vibe I get in SoCal and seems to be moving to NorCal as well. Of all the things to worry about while writing an essay.......but I figure I should get a good idea of what is out there before it sneaks up on me.

The Ito

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
ito said:
So if Bend is getting runover, do you have a suggestion for similar places that are a few years behind this housing rush? I've been checking out Oregon and Idaho, Boulder, CO is catching my interest as well. Not planning on moving now, but after college I'm looking to get out of CA. I've heard tons of good things about Bend, but I also really don't want to get the same vibe I get in SoCal and seems to be moving to NorCal as well. Of all the things to worry about while writing an essay.......but I figure I should get a good idea of what is out there before it sneaks up on me.

The Ito
Ashland....Look into it.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
My brother has lived in Bend for about 5 years now and I've been out there twice to visit him. First I absolutely love it, if my wife and I ever get a huge inheritance or win the lottery I think we would move out there in a heartbeat.

That said there are some downsides: first it's referred to by the "normal" people (those who are not loaded) as "poverty with a view". The cost of living is crazy high (at least compared to Arkansas) - my brothers house which is 500 sq ft smaller (built same year), similar sized lots, no central heat or air (ours does have that) cost 100k more than our house.

Now if the cost of living is high you would think the salaries would also be higher there - you would think. I've interviewed two places out there (Epic Aircraft and Lancair) both to do exactly what I'm doing now (only with smaller airplanes). The highest salary they could offer me was 12k less a year than what I make here (I'm at the middle of my salary range) with the cost of living adjustment (~16%). Personally I don't know how an economy like that can sustain itself- high cost of living and relatively low average salary.

Now before you go "you just all about the $" - if I took a cut in pay my wife would have to go back to work full time, and right now with our 8 month old son that is just not worth her not being able to spend the time with him that she does now.

Anyway, it is totally beautiful, and some of the best single track I've ever ridden, I absolutely love to go there, and maybe one day we'll move out there..........

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
A month ago I would have said the Couer De Lane (I can't spell that ha) area of Idaho until I learned about a little lead problem in the area. I'll pass on that now.

I love Colorado but housing in the entire state is insane. That said, Salida is cool and by Colorado standards isn't that expensive yet - but it's still expensive.

Montana has lots of open land still. Much of it is inexpensive. I'd like to spend more time in Helena - lots of potential there.

Those are the towns of some size. These days I am leaning towards a tiny village in the mountains. Lots of those in Colorado. Philipsburg, Montana will become a hot spot in upcoming years. Driggs Idaho is cool.

ito said:

The Ito

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wouldn't go as far as Aaron. I have been riding out iin the mountains and surrounding area for hours on end without seeing people. There is so much singletrack that it isn't crowded. If you go to the main touristy places, then yes, they are packed, but there is enough area that is awesome.

Money does seem to talk. This is still a billion times better than San Diego where they built every little area up and there was endless traffic. I still can drive to work in less than 5 minutes, and to the other side of town in 15. My house cost half of what it did in San Diego, and I get paid half of what I made in San Diego.

When it gets to big, I'm thinking small town Idaho, or small town Colorado.

Cheers.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Do you know any victims of the dog police? :nuts:

Heidi said:
I wouldn't go as far as Aaron. I have been riding out iin the mountains and surrounding area for hours on end without seeing people. There is so much singletrack that it isn't crowded. If you go to the main touristy places, then yes, they are packed, but there is enough area that is awesome.

Money does seem to talk. This is still a billion times better than San Diego where they built every little area up and there was endless traffic. I still can drive to work in less than 5 minutes, and to the other side of town in 15. My house cost half of what it did in San Diego, and I get paid half of what I made in San Diego.

When it gets to big, I'm thinking small town Idaho, or small town Colorado.

Cheers.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ridemonkey said:
Yes, ME!

But, that said, I DO agree with the rules. I don't want people letting their dogs run around wild you know. I found poop on my front lawn this morning and ain't from my dogs! I just think the po-po are having a hard time using their judgement. In the woods it's one thing, in town it's another.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dogs shouldn't be allowed to run after a ball in the park? The fine for a dog off leash should be much more than most traffic fines? :confused:

Heidi said:
Yes, ME!

But, that said, I DO agree with the rules. I don't want people letting their dogs run around wild you know. I found poop on my front lawn this morning and ain't from my dogs! I just think the po-po are having a hard time using their judgement. In the woods it's one thing, in town it's another.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ridemonkey said:
Dogs shouldn't be allowed to run after a ball in the park? The fine for a dog off leash should be much more than most traffic fines? :confused:
I never said that doofus! I simply said that they have to draw the line somewhere and they aren't able to do it. Their judgement is waaaaaay outta wack.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Park City, you fools!

Actually, the shop I ride for wants to work on turning my town into a "destination" of sorts, like Bend. I personally think they're insane...Utah is far too conservative :p

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ridemonkey said:

Man...are they all cat people up there? :D Y'all don't have dog parks? Dogs are welcome all over here...sometimes they are required to be leashed, but they'd never dream of ticketing your dog. Is there just no crime up there for them to deal with, so they have to look busy by harrassing the canine community?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Heidi said:
I never said that doofus! I simply said that they have to draw the line somewhere and they aren't able to do it. Their judgement is waaaaaay outta wack.
Are their any dog parks? I can think of a few even in the overpriced and overcrowded OC. It'd be a shame for dogs to never sniff another without a leash getting in the way.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There is one downtown, and I think a couple on the east side. Honestly, I see dogs ALL OVER in all the parks without a leash. They swim in the river and everything. People seem to largely be defying the law. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

I'm more concerned with why the city has to grow. Close the friggen doors and quit issuing building permits and the city won't grow. DUH! :)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
My brother and his wife have 3 dogs and I've yet to hear of a run in they have had with the law. They live on the south side of town so that might have something to do with it.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Heidi said:
There is one downtown, and I think a couple on the east side. Honestly, I see dogs ALL OVER in all the parks without a leash. They swim in the river and everything. People seem to largely be defying the law. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!
No, their is currently not one dog park in town. The east side park is in planning. That downtown park is actually church property and we use it with their permission (thank dog for that one spot).

J

JRB

Who needs a stinkin' dog park??? Aren't those just in the movies???

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
loco said:
Who needs a stinkin' dog park??? Aren't those just in the movies???
They built one near my old house in suburban Salt Lake, it was quickly overrun and closed due to "excessive damage".

I love dogs, but I'm not so sure dog parks are such a great idea. I dunno. Whatever happened to just taking your dog and a frisbee to the park? Thats what I used to do...who put the puppy nazis in charge?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
blue said:
They built one near my old house in suburban Salt Lake, it was quickly overrun and closed due to "excessive damage".

I love dogs, but I'm not so sure dog parks are such a great idea. I dunno. Whatever happened to just taking your dog and a frisbee to the park? Thats what I used to do...who put the puppy nazis in charge?
I'm telling you they are cat people up there...

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I guess Bend is another example of the dying middle class in the U.S. I daydream of moving a lot, too. Montana and Idaho appeal to me, namely Missoula and maybe Boise, but I've got my eye on the Boone-Asheville-Brevard corridor in NC. Depending on where you live, you can do it cheaply! A lot of Asheville locals have a negative view of the growing popularity of the area, but for the most part the people are damn friendly! Hope you don't mind hippies and rednecks, though. There's both. I wonder how difficult it is to get a work visa in the Vancouver, BC, area? I don't currently have health insurance anyway.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Boise is worth a look. Nice place and still cheap.

Enginerd A2 said:
I guess Bend is another example of the dying middle class in the U.S. I daydream of moving a lot, too. Montana and Idaho appeal to me, namely Missoula and maybe Boise, but I've got my eye on the Boone-Asheville-Brevard corridor in NC. Depending on where you live, you can do it cheaply! A lot of Asheville locals have a negative view of the growing popularity of the area, but for the most part the people are damn friendly! Hope you don't mind hippies and rednecks, though. There's both. I wonder how difficult it is to get a work visa in the Vancouver, BC, area? I don't currently have health insurance anyway.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've been "eyeing" Albuquerque NM - there is a new aircraft company starting up there. Albuquerque seems like it would be somewhat close to some decent skiing as well in the winter. I'm not sure how big it is, but size is not really a factor for us (just can't be too big).

I still like Bend though, just got to fix that cost of living deal............or hit the jackpot.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Ashland is where its at...
ugh. Ashland is where it was at, about 1990. Now it looks like everything from Ashland to Grants Pass is going to be part of the "greater Medford area". Urban sprawl in So. Oregon is an amazing thing to see.
I haven't been back there to visit for about 2 years, but I can tell you, that place has some of the worst urban planning out there.....Ashland has some great perks, but I have a fear that there is going to be alot of resentment when Talent grows into the edge of it...if it hasn't already.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Goodbye Boston, hello pacific northwest. If I had a little more courage, I'd leave everything behind and take a job even bagging groceries at a supermarket anywhere out there. 40 hours a week and all the time on the bike I could stand? Where do I sign up!?

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Enginerd A2 said:
Cool, what's the occasion? Let me know if you'd like any tips on where to go.
josh.schmidt AT gmail.com
Visiting family in Detroit.....my wife and I used to live in A2, so we will be visiting some friends there...Maybe swing by the shop I used to work at...

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Enginerd A2 said:
Don't tell me you used to work at Great Lakes...
Nope...Two Wheel Tango. Definitely one of the best shops I have been in since I moved from Oregon. Too bad there are som many crappy shops in Ann Arbor, but I guess that is what you get in a college town...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
hans2 said:
Goodbye Boston, hello pacific northwest. If I had a little more courage, I'd leave everything behind and take a job even bagging groceries at a supermarket anywhere out there. 40 hours a week and all the time on the bike I could stand? Where do I sign up!?
Except you'd have to work 3 supermarket bagging jobs just to sweak by, you might be able to swing just 2 bagging jobs if you don't mind living in your car............... ;)

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Enginerd A2 said:
Two Wheel, cool. What's your name? There's only one really crappy shop, Campus Bike. The others are just mediocre.
Jay-
Campus Bikes is really, really bad. Selling stolen college bikes is not a good business plan....

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
That's why I have a minivan.

Seattle's better, no? (in terms of affordability)

I can't imagine these places being worse than Boston.