Quantcast

Whats up with brooklyn machine works

petree1987

Chimp
May 29, 2012
i am trying to get some replacement parts for my tmx and i can get through with email or calling them. should i contact Doc at superco to get some spare parts?

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
man, you dont know the half of it!

i snapped my racelink last july in whistler and since then have been emailing the US guys and the UK guy trying to get a new swingarm and braking arm.

i havent really had any replies and every time i phone the uk guy he says that the US guys are going to make one at some point.
as of yet, no luck, and no replies from the US!!

Good luck with the TMX, hopefully you wont need it!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just looked on their facebook page... apparently others are having issues trying to contact them as well.

It's disheartening to see/hear these kinds of stories. BITD BMW was known for its excellent commitment to its customers and their bikes.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
man, you dont know the half of it!

i snapped my racelink last july in whistler and since then have been emailing the US guys and the UK guy trying to get a new swingarm and braking arm.

i havent really had any replies and every time i phone the uk guy he says that the US guys are going to make one at some point.
as of yet, no luck, and no replies from the US!!

Good luck with the TMX, hopefully you wont need it!
Hey, Paul.

Not sure if you saw it, but I had to get mine re-welded a couple seasons ago.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/fq-mini-link-refurb-pic-plethora-221846/
Luckily, I caught it before it went full retard and a couple of weld beads brought it back.

If it happens again I was going to redesign it with some secondary members to make a bit of a truss.
Take it to a local frame builder and see if they can cook something up. They should be able to steal the pivot and dropouts from the old swingarm.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i just looked on their facebook page... apparently others are having issues trying to contact them as well.

It's disheartening to see/hear these kinds of stories. BITD BMW was known for its excellent commitment to its customers and their bikes.
supporting your product for 4 years after going out of business and walking away after the fifth year? i would say that DEFINES excellent customer service...

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
cheers dave (woody), i have another bike at the moment so the brooklyn has settled at the back of the shed.

i ended up leaving the dropout area of the brooklyn in whistler so i cant see it being a cheap/easy option getting the back end sorted.

(marshal olson) what do you mean going 4 years out of business?
this is news to me!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
build one out of carbon, duh.
I actually had decent service from both doc and brooklyn when i needed it, but that was several years ago. Good luck, no parties really do bikes anymore.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Doc "left" a couple of years ago but as far as I know they are still in business. I guess they are just taking the old school Intense approach to customer service now.
Makes me very glad I still have a spare brake arm and a set of dropouts.

I also noticed the last time I took my RL to a bike park that people didn't have a clue as to what it was, whereas a couple of years ago people everybody and his dog came up to me asking stuff about my bike and brooklyns in general.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the original racelink is still one of my favorite designs of all time. alas, i never owned one myself. the idea of modding a front triangle with modern geometry still tempts me now and then... hot:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the original racelink is still one of my favorite designs of all time. alas, i never owned one myself. the idea of modding a front triangle with modern geometry still tempts me now and then... hot:

agree 100%. The RL is still one of my all time favorite bikes. Never owned one, but have taken many a run on ones that belonged to friends.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
we should start a kickstarter for doc to get the ****in silencer build ^^ i still have parts flying around for that one, it was such a blast to ride Terry's proto in 2009 even though it was to small and undersprung...
loved it so much!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
we should start a kickstarter for doc to get the ****in silencer build ^^ i still have parts flying around for that one, it was such a blast to ride Terry's proto in 2009 even though it was to small and undersprung...
loved it so much!
I hate you just for the fact that you rode a Silencer! :mad: ;)

Excellent idea about the kickstarter.

The only thing I have to say to Doc and Terry is:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I owned a RL for a while and there's a solid feeling to it that you don't get with other bikes. The suspension was amazing, and it truly pedaled excellently. Unfortunately, the geo was bunk and you ended up with a sky high BB and scary HA, combined with a long rear end under sag. The bike actually rode really well with 24s, when it was so equipped, as the BB dropped to 13.5" or so. That was actually a really fun bike, but extremely heavy and really only good at one place...plattekill. I'd love to get a custom built front end, but you'd still have way long rear once sagged. I think a complete revision was necessary, but it never panned out.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i never rode an rl, but the silencer was spot on (though i'd pref a longer front end). i agree w/ the feeling of solidity statement. my tmx had it, and i thought it was mainly a factor of it's ship anchor weight, but the superco had *that* feel as well. i'm assuming attributable to the steel construction. subtle, but there for sure.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it was part steel, part avy suspension, part 3" slow react tires on that pig, and most importantly, the fabled leverage rate curve that doc had designed, which gave the big it's own sag without a rider. I think everything was overbuilt in the linkage, so it all ran super smooth too.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I've toyed with the idea of building my own frame with that same design, but with modern geo, and aluminum swinger. Such an awesome design. Elegant and mechanical. Love it.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
If everyone is so concerned, why doesn't someone just go to the shop and knock on the door?
Not until monday obviously, but it's not a hard place to find--L train to lorimer then walk a few blocks. off topic, but Indian larry's shop is around the corner, they're some awesome guys to bull**** with and check out their hardware.

I also spoke to Chris about the silencer...I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it sounded like it's just too expensive for him to make any right now. At the price he'd have to sell them, it didn't sound like it would be worth it.

He did mention a cnc machine would make it cheaper to create....so kickstarter might be a good way to help him out.

If I can, I'll try to swing by the shop sometime this week. I just saw them last week at mcbp though, so I doubt anything's going on. Last I spoke with Joe he said he had some big things going on, new frame designs I hope.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If everyone is so concerned, why doesn't someone just go to the shop and knock on the door?
Not until monday obviously, but it's not a hard place to find--L train to lorimer then walk a few blocks. off topic, but Indian larry's shop is around the corner, they're some awesome guys to bull**** with and check out their hardware.

I also spoke to Chris about the silencer...I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it sounded like it's just too expensive for him to make any right now. At the price he'd have to sell them, it didn't sound like it would be worth it.
not everyone lives in brooklyn or nyc....thank god

and i do believe that TMX did say that building them is too expensive, especially since they both have "other" jobs

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
not everyone lives in brooklyn or nyc....thank god

and i do believe that TMX did say that building them is too expensive, especially since they both have "other" jobs
****, am i the only one on this thread that's cool enough to live in the city?
it sounds i just volunteered to go to bklyn...

i'll see i if can get over this week and reply then.