Quantcast

What's up with the french...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I found this article, and thought it was quite interesting.

The French riders think that Clips are dangerous.To influence the UCI we set up a petition.

Sign with us this petition for NO CLIPS in UCI and Europan BMX competition. Go to www.bmx-race.net and hit No Clips
and sign your name

Bruno Ripault
www.bmx-race.net

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I got slammed on some BMX forum for asking about it. If it's so damn dangerous how come we haven't gotten wind of it?

The whole no clips thing in bmx is stupid imho. It's a progression of the sport.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
downhillzeypher said:
The whole no clips thing in bmx is stupid imho. It's a progression of the sport.
then why not progress to 26" wheels then?

one guy had a good point, barring the safety debate: BMX is about the simplest form of biking, no gears, one brake, thats it, equal ground just race..

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I remember reading about some BMX crossover who said that clips were one of the worst things to happen to BMXing, it alienated normal riders from racers. To race you needed special pedals and shoes, or else you weren't a racer.

I don't know about the safety issue. Is this only for BMX? Maybe on a little bike it's more of an issue, but I've never had any safety issues on my DH or 4x bikes in regard to clips.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Well another point the BMX guys have is that clips are dangerous for your ankles. Yeah. OKAY. If it hurts, then move the clip farther back on the shoe!

OR

Build up some calf muscles you pvssy!

Zedro- I agree. But when you throw in carbon forks, super lightweight everything... simple... isn't in the picture anymore. You want to WIN and every advantage is welcome.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The only dangers I've heard w/ clips and BMX racing is with junior racers using them and hurting themselves?

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
There are a bunch of reasons. They say it makes watching BMX boring.

I don't understand why all the hate... They make you faster. Period. Even the haters admit it.

BMX rots yer brain. To think I'm picking up BMX racing :rolleyes:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i agree we ahve to make a difference betwween bmx and hardtail bikes, if you start allowing one thing they are going to try and allow more in the near future

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Zark said:
The only dangers I've heard w/ clips and BMX racing is with junior racers using them and hurting themselves?
I agree with that. I use clipless pedals on my BMX bike, and I don't think they are dangerous. However, I have seen some knucklehead BMX dads tighten the retention on their 5 year old's Shimano pedals so tight it would be physically impossible for a kid to get their feet in or out. These parents will hold their kids on the gate, push their feet in their pedals, and then send them out on the track--scary!

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
blt2ride said:
I agree with that. I use clipless pedals on my BMX bike, and I don't think they are dangerous. However, I have seen some knucklehead BMX dads tighten the retention on their 5 year old's Shimano pedals so tight it would be physically impossible for a kid to get their feet in or out. These parents will hold their kids on the gate, push their feet in their pedals, and then send them out on the track--scary!
---------------------------------------
Holy cannoli, that IS scary..What the hell are those parents thinking.
Probably trying to kill off thier kids or something. :nope:
All thats going to do to the poor grom is scare em into not riding or put em in a wheelchair...
That disturbs me....

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
bigdrop05 said:
---------------------------------------
Holy cannoli, that IS scary..What the hell are those parents thinking.
Probably trying to kill off thier kids or something. :nope:
All thats going to do to the poor grom is scare em into not riding or put em in a wheelchair...
That disturbs me....
They are waiting for them to get hurt so they can sue the track owner for allowing people to use clips.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Leethal said:
Clips took away a lot of the rough riding in BMX...
I tend to agree with that statment. There has been some talk about banning clips for beginner riders. However, the decision has been left to overzealous parents, trying to make their 5 year old the next Bubba Harris or Mike Day.

In addition, all of the NBL elite pros got together, and collectively decided to fun flats for the 2004 season. Although, at the first race, a few pros failed to keep their word; showing up to the gate with clipless pedals--that was the end of flat pedals.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Limiting wheel size is one thing, but preventing people from using clips is another. There is some debate as to whether it's an advantage or not. Sure clips can help with pedaling but when you need to stick a foot out it can be tough to get back in. Let people decide for themselves. And I think it's stupid to focus on the danger - it's a dangerous sport, and slipping off a platform pedal is just as bad as crashing 'cuz you can't get your foot out of a clipless pedal.

I know sanjay

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
The OC
If everyone was on flats, the racing would definitely be better. The thing with clips is if everyone is not on them its a disadvantage. You gonna say oh then just runn them but theree a large amount of riders who believe they have hurt the sport tremendouslyand refuse to put them on their bike. If you want a lecture on thsi get a hold of anyone call s and m bikes and ask for neal wood. He will set u all stright. clips suck

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
I don't think clip ins are the problem in bmx racing. It seems like the courses are too flat and smooth, making it boring. Another example is supercross, its much less interesting to watch than outdoor motocross. I just hope that downhill racing stays rough and steep. Its a shame mtn cross has gone the way of bmx racing.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
this topic is the all time bs topic....

i do agree there should be some sort of age limit for the physical strength to get out of the clips.... that some dad has cranked down.

but as far as the races are not as good or dangerous...i call bs, it's the guys that are afraid to run them that put up the biggest stink.

pedals don't make races boring....racers and tracks do...a big percentage of the top 4x guys run clips and there is plenty of contact and feet out going on.

it's a race....you run the equiptment that lets you be the fastest, end of story.

when you watch bubba or mike day race... clips don't put them at a disadvatage to pass...and i think style wise they are the best.

if the guys who whine about clips spent that energy running them and gettting used to them they might not be so afraid of clipping in?

funny thing about the s&m connection & neal wood.....as far as i know the owner of s&m was the first bmx guy to be clipped in at a race in bercy in i believe 89?....he used old school road toe straps! truely locked in!
just last year he was at some mtb races clipped in as well.

it's progression, and they wont be going anywhere anytime soon, imo.