Quantcast

What's with all this 29" malarky?

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Everyone put your ears to the ground. Hear that? It's the sound of the big wheels comin'. The UCI legalizing 29" wheels for competition has assured their impending dominance of the cross-country scene. While not ideal for freestyle/freeride, 29" wheels make you faster in ALL but the most uber-technical cross-country conditions. Bottom line: FASTER. I know, I ride a Monkey. Gotta hand it to Gary, he appreciates their clear advantage. But he and other bike companies must walk a fine line. They must extol the virtues of 29, without being so enthusiastic as to cut against their 26" business, (their current bread and butter). In the next two years you will see a massive increase of 29" frames, forks, rims and tires. Soft-tail designs will be popular, as less travel is needed vs. 26" wheels. I'm in the industry and I know this is taking place. You'll be seeing a lot more 29" very soon, because they'll be the bikes in front of you on the trail.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Beta was better than VHS and look what happened to it.

26'ers have the market share and as you can see in this thread alone, there are a lot of people out there that aren't ready to make the switch.
It'll definately be interesting.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I don't ever seeing 29ers taking over, but I think they will find a nice comfortable spot in the bike line-up. Then again, nobody thought the MTB would take off like it did way back in the early days, so you never know what might happen.

Soupboy

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
...especially for taller riders. No, the wheels can't be built as stout as 26" or 24" wheels, but we're not talking about hucking them.

They're not for everyone, but neither is a 50# DH/FR bike. That's a niche too.

The slower handling/acceleration is on the margin . I used mine (KM, rigid, SS) for XC and save my Turner RFX as my fun bike. I am faster on any given XC trail that requires climbing - technical or not - on my KM. The wheel carry speed better, roll bumps better and get solid traction and braking even though they're only 2.1".

Higher CofG? Funny, last time I check my BB was lower than or equal to that of most 26" HTs and nearly 3" lower than my RFX. A 29er doesn't mean you ride 1.5" higher - just that the axles are that much higher.

Also, for a big rider (I'm 6'3") you actually feel like your sitting between the wheels vs. up on top of them. I get back on my RFX and I feel like I've stolen my little brother's bike.

My KM handles better than any other HT or FS bike I've owned including a Jamis Dragon, Speshy FSR XC, Ellsworth Isis, On One Inbred and my Turner RFX.

Motherhuckers take note - Astrix is leading the charge with a 4.5" travel FS 29er. As soon as someone builds a 30mm+ rim and decent meats I wouldn't be surprised to see guys try to race them on "pedally" DH courses like the Sea Otter. The ability to carry speed, roll bumps smoother and higher gyroscopic resistance to deflection will make a difference...to some.

If you don't want one, don't buy one. Just don't knock it until you've tried and it's failed you.

Sean

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the problem that i find in 29" wheeled bikes is the really high stand over height. i'm 6'5" and rode a karate monkey once and almost racked myself on it (the frame was the proper size for me). i never run into this problem on anyother bike i have ridden in the past

Soupboy

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
...I'm surprised you'd rack yourself on a 22" inch XL KM frame. My friend rides one and loves it. Do you have disproportianately short legs? Not a slight, just a question.

If not a KM, there are tons of reasonably priced custom or other builders (GF) that are making 29er frames.

Sean

Sir_Crackien said:
the problem that i find in 29" wheeled bikes is the really high stand over height. i'm 6'5" and rode a karate monkey once and almost racked myself on it (the frame was the proper size for me). i never run into this problem on anyother bike i have ridden in the past

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Whew! So many blanket statements, and not a freakin' thing to back them up w/ save for token heresay. I'll just let most of it slide, since most of it was so "teen angst" ridden that its not worth fighting.

Sir Craken: the XL monkey is freaky in that the geo for it is kinda old school. Flat TT and all. Sean, I think Ivan just has freaky long legs. I'm 6'5" too, and feel uncomfortable on an XL Monkey.

I've been riding my Hunter 29" SS for three years(I ride 29" because it porportional to MY body, not some 5'10" midget :D ). It also has the capability to run gears. Set up is w/a WB CX-1 or rigid if my mood can swing it. The terrain I ride, while not the most technical I've seen(think WV rocks here) certainly ain't easy smooth Euro course tye stuff. I've come to the conclusion that 29 is all I need. With the bigger tires coming out, I'll have more cush, and more traction so I can ride more challenging terrain. And the next one will have gears.

If you don't like 29" DON'T BUY ONE. Don't ride one. And don't b!tch about it. And since when was CHOICE a bad thing?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
martini said:
Whew! So many blanket statements, and not a freakin' thing to back them up w/ save for token heresay. I'll just let most of it slide, since most of it was so "teen angst" ridden that its not worth fighting.

Sir Craken: the XL monkey is freaky in that the geo for it is kinda old school. Flat TT and all. Sean, I think Ivan just has freaky long legs. I'm 6'5" too, and feel uncomfortable on an XL Monkey.

I've been riding my Hunter 29" SS for three years(I ride 29" because it porportional to MY body, not some 5'10" midget :D ). It also has the capability to run gears. Set up is w/a WB CX-1 or rigid if my mood can swing it. The terrain I ride, while not the most technical I've seen(think WV rocks here) certainly ain't easy smooth Euro course tye stuff. I've come to the conclusion that 29 is all I need. With the bigger tires coming out, I'll have more cush, and more traction so I can ride more challenging terrain. And the next one will have gears.

If you don't like 29" DON'T BUY ONE. Don't ride one. And don't b!tch about it. And since when was CHOICE a bad thing?
Hey I'm only 5'9" so what does that make me????
;)

I can see the benefits of a 29er for a tall person such as yourself, but what if you were my height? Would you choose a 26" wheeled MTB to ride or would you still rock a 29er?

What would be the best route to try one of these suckers? Hit a Gary Fisher Dealer and see if I could demo one?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I realize this site is called Ridemonkey, but I didn't realize that simeons could actually type, it's O.K. to not like something or be against change if your comfortable with something, but to just start bashing on 29ers with blanket statements that really are unfounded is just stoopid :nope:
I spent 3800 miles on my Karate Monkey this year and have enjoyed every minute of it, so much I have sold all my 26" bikes and tires, but it's like religeon I don't go preaching and pushing it on the great unwashed. If someone is curious I let them take it for a quick spin, some folks dig it others don't, it comes down to personal taste. some of the close-minded blanket statements I read in this thread make about as much sense as saying " I love Chocolate Ice Cream, I only eat Chocolate and those that eat Vanilla Ice cream Suck" :blah:
there are lots of choices out there make yours and respect mine.

I have included pics of me racing my Slow non-nimble 29er :dancing:

Attachments

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
I realize this site is called Ridemonkey, but I didn't realize that simeons could actually type, it's O.K. to not like something or be against change if your comfortable with something, but to just start bashing on 29ers with blanket statements that really are unfounded is just stoopid :nope:
I spent 3800 miles on my Karate Monkey this year and have enjoyed every minute of it, so much I have sold all my 26" bikes and tires, but it's like religeon I don't go preaching and pushing it on the great unwashed. If someone is curious I let them take it for a quick spin, some folks dig it others don't, it comes down to personal taste. some of the close-minded blanket statements I read in this thread make about as much sense as saying " I love Chocolate Ice Cream, I only eat Chocolate and those that eat Vanilla Ice cream Suck" :blah:
there are lots of choices out there make yours and respect mine.

I have included pics of me racing my Slow non-nimble 29er :dancing:
You'll LOVE Arkansas! My bud races his WaltWorks 29" SS up there and the competion is tough!

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
If it has two wheels and is human powered, I would welcome it to the cycling world. 24,29, 26, it doesn't matter, they are my brothers and sisters. In my area, our bigger concerns are the damage to trails and accessibility that quads (four wheeled motorized trench diggers) bring, and the arrogant horse people, who think they alone have the god given rights to forest trails.

Wardo

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
Wardo, it almost sounds as if you are the arrogant one. I do a lot of trail maintenance (under state contract) and trail advocacy in New England. The number one thing that we have learned is that all trail users - be they MTBers, quad riders, dirt bikers, equestrians, snowmobilers, xc skiers, etc - have to work together to protect trail access for all. The trails that the quads get kicked off of today, are the trails the MTBers will get kicked off of tomorrow. As trail users, we all have to be respectful of other people's modes of recreation and work to protect access for each others favorite recreation.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
MMcG said:
;)

I can see the benefits of a 29er for a tall person such as yourself, but what if you were my height? Would you choose a 26" wheeled MTB to ride or would you still rock a 29er?

What would be the best route to try one of these suckers? Hit a Gary Fisher Dealer and see if I could demo one?
I'm 5'7 and ride a 29er, love the thing. As a rigid bike it rides great on the trails and as I'm not too heavy the wheels are plenty stiff. It rolls over everything and while a bit tall in some sections of the trail I can ride pretty much all the trails in Santa barbara on it(and we have some nutty dh trails). It moves well and is quite stable. It also makes a sweet road bike with slicks on it.

I would suggest against a Gary Fisher, I rode one and hated it. It just felt bizaare. Try one if you want, but I would look into borrowing a better model from a guy in your area....which may be difficult. Or bite the bullet and go buy one.

The Ito

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
MMcG said:
;)

A gnome? :D

If I were shorter, I'd be more willing to stay w/26", but I'd still be really interested in 29". I'm a SSer at heart, so anything that rolls well, and can keep momentum has my interest.

as far as finding a bike to ride, go to the Demo thread here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=44099&highlight=demo+thread Hopefully there's one near you.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Thanks Martini, the Astrix looks pretty sweet.

I checked out an Asylum over Thanksgiving at Speedgoat (didn't test ride). It looks like an awesome bike for endurance events.