Quantcast

What's your favorite vacation spot?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm currently in a f'ing mess trying to book a cottage on an island in Maine. The bookings fill up quick and I've already missed a couple houses we wanted to stay in. Part of the problem is I'm bringing my parents who won't go on vacation unless there is 2 bathroom's in the house. I don't f'ing know what the deal with them is but on the island it is very hard to find a house with 2 bathrooms. So.....I'm stuck in the middle of trying to organize the vacation for 6 people and I'm tempted to pack it all in and say we can all do our own thing this summer.

My biggest problem is the only time I ever feel like I'm on vacation is on this island in Maine. I've been to the Caribbean, I've been to Cali, been up and down the east coast but this small island in Maine is the one true place I'm happy on my summer vacation..

So let me here where your favorite vacations have been.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Let 'em piss off the porch.

I haven't taken too many fancy vacations, really. Given the choice I
'd pick backpacking on the AT for a week or two somewhere in NC or VA.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh, here's the answer:

if i could go back to anywhere for a vacation that i've already been, it'd be a too-close-to-call race between new zealand, stockholm, andalucia or prague.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh, here's the answer:
Haha!
...or tell them to hit that sh*t with some Flomax and be on their way already. 2 bathrooms? Sounds like a "mom" problem and not a "parents" problem. Anyway, just say there are 2 bathrooms and when they get there say "oh, oops, my mistake"
big deal.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Haha!
...or tell them to hit that sh*t with some Flomax and be on their way already. 2 bathrooms? Sounds like a "mom" problem and not a "parents" problem. Anyway, just say there are 2 bathrooms and when they get there say "oh, oops, my mistake"
big deal.
That was my wife's suggestion.

My parent's both in their late 50's are starting to be real stick-in-the mud's. For some reason they have this obsession with 2 bathrooms. Neither of them have any "problems" they're just old and have some money now so they want to be "comfortable" when they are on vacation.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Stowe, Vt- awsome biking (mountain and road)and hiking, great restaurants and lots of good locally made beer. There is also plenty o stuff for the geriatrics to enjoy as well -outdoor concerts, farmers markets, shopping etc.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
hmmm....favorite vacation spots: that's a toss up between the south island of NZ (good beer, food, people, amazing landscapes, etc) and a little sleepy mexican village (san carlos) on the sea of cortez. i recommend both highly.

ah, here's what i was looking for:

solidsol.com/gabe/NZ1

replaces the 1 with 2 through 6 and you'll have all of my NZ albums

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Hawaii is always nice.
Whistler in the winter is great and I hear good things about the mountain biking there in the summer.
Outer Banks is a nice place also.
I'm still hoping to plan a trip to Pisgah this summer if your interested.
If the parents are being a stick in the mud fck'em and do your own thing.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hawaii is always nice.
Whistler in the winter is great and I hear good things about the mountain biking there in the summer.
Outer Banks is a nice place also.
I'm still hoping to plan a trip to Pisgah this summer if your interested.
If the parents are being a stick in the mud fck'em and do your own thing.
It may be do late to F' em.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I love the four corners, you got Durange, Moab, flagstaff, sedonna, Glenwood springs, Deer valley all with in 6-10 hours. Rent a RV and just plop down at campsites, walmarts or anywhere.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Its January and your planning a vacation for the summer, plenty of time to tell them off.
Be honest and lay down the law "Either deal with a 1 bathroom house or don't come" plain and simple is usually the best answer :)
:stupid:

My friend at work did just this to her husband's family today (exact same bathroom scenario), and she's getting her way.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Top 2 international so far:

Chamonix, France - hands down best mt biking I've ever done.
South Island of New Zealand - best mixture of things to do with beaches, jungles, and glaciers.

In U.S. - Sedona, AZ back before it got popular. Great mountain biking and camping. Plus, it's close for a day or two trip to Flagstaff.

Salida, CO - loved the CO Trail riding and small town feel of Salida.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just spent 6 weeks on the couch, does that count? I was going to record Maury this morning so I could watch it when I got home, but my wife gave me a hard time.

Now I'll never know who was the baby daddy.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
In U.S. - Sedona, AZ back before it got popular. Great mountain biking and camping. Plus, it's close for a day or two trip to Flagstaff.
Sedona is on my list too, we're going back this spring.

Maui and Whistler also top my list of favs.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I've never been anywhere I didn't like.

Central coast California was lovely. If you take them there, make sure they meet Zark.
Amsterdam was great but the traveling is a PITA.
New Orleans is my favorite city in the world.
I love any place tropical (Mexico, Jamaican, Honduras, Belize)
Huge fan of Colorado.
Love love love Moab.
I really like east TN and west NC a lot.

I second the idea of telling them there are two bathrooms and then letting them deal with the fact that there aren't once you get there. If you like the island in Maine, go there.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Central coast California was lovely. If you take them there, make sure they meet Zark.
:cupidarrow: Awhh! It was fun meeting you two too.

JustJames said:
Just make sure they're immunized first... .
:bonk: with friends like you..:busted:

offsprung said:
and there are no little girls....
I'm spoken for now ;)

Vacation spots? Whistler in the summer, Las Vegas in the winter
Moab/Sedona/Flagstaff spring/fall and bring your bike to all of them!

4traxx

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
Enfield , Ct
I'm currently in a f'ing mess trying to book a cottage on an island in Maine. The bookings fill up quick and I've already missed a couple houses we wanted to stay in. Part of the problem is I'm bringing my parents who won't go on vacation unless there is 2 bathroom's in the house. I don't f'ing know what the deal with them is but on the island it is very hard to find a house with 2 bathrooms. So.....I'm stuck in the middle of trying to organize the vacation for 6 people and I'm tempted to pack it all in and say we can all do our own thing this summer.

My biggest problem is the only time I ever feel like I'm on vacation is on this island in Maine. I've been to the Caribbean, I've been to Cali, been up and down the east coast but this small island in Maine is the one true place I'm happy on my summer vacation..

So let me here where your favorite vacations have been.
I grew up in Portland maine . When my mom was alive I had the same problems as you . My wife & kids wanted to go on vacation with her . What Island . There are many great caboins & camps that would you prob would like . We use to rent from Jordan rentals . They are in Sebago area . Good luck . MNow OI will read the rest of the replys . Let me know if I can help .

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Island of Naxos in the Greek Cyclaids in September after most of the tourists with the exception of the swedish and german women have left

Jasper and Bamff BC

and the place I want to go for a week long diving vacation Cayman Brac in the Carribean

With my bike...Downieville