Quantcast

What's your take on your office's birthday celebrations? (if you have them)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
What's your take on your office's birthday celebrations (if you have them at all?)

My office asks us to all chip in $2 to buy a cake (or two) once a month to celebrate that month's birthdays... the $2 also helps buy cards for those celebrating.

I think our celebrations are impersonal. We all know that we're all there because it's required.

I don't really want to be there, I don't even eat cake, and nobody else really seems to want to be there. We all have to be dragged out of our offices practically to go sit down and eat cake.

Then we all sing, "Happy birthday," like dying geese. And we always ask the one singer in the office to start off, then he demurs....

Finally, someone asks the birthday person, "So what are you doing for your birthday?" and it's always the same.

"Eating dinner out...."

Who even reads the card they get that the whole office was forced to sign?

I know I don't feel good in May when it's my birthday and everybody has to stand around to acknowledge that I was born.

I've tried not paying and not going, but lately, if we don't pay up, the administrative assistant sends aggressive e-mails and passes out neon green sheets of paper saying the birthdays will have to be postponed until the following month if we don't pay up.

When I pointed out to my boss that maybe some people would rather do something different, in fact, that some people don't like being the center of attention, she pretty much blew me off.

Here's an article on the subject from Monster.com.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
there are only five of us in my shop and we celebrate each others birthdays individually, all except mine as mine always falls on an off day.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
We don't do birthdays here, there are just too many people.
Same here but it's not because of the amount of people it's the religious beliefs.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Current place just does cards... which is fine, but you know that people just sign it b/c they passed it around.

My last job we had cake and a big group meeting for every manager and our departments' VP birthday's... that was lame. No one else was ever even mentioned, but the meeting were fairly manditory.

I used to just show up towards the end, get my cake and walkout.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Now Milton, don't be greedy, lets pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece. Yeah, but last time I didn't receive a piece.

The ratio of people to cake is too big

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
We will take each other out to lunch in group, usually around 8.

Riddle me this...everyone always chips in extra to pay for the birthday person...but it's always something inflated like $5 a person...when they sure as hell didn't spend $40 on lunch. Not sure how that math works, but it's like that everytime.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My last office was nice about it. There was nothing official so nothing felt canned or hollow. In my department, we were just all friendly enough that we used to bring in random baked goods and a card, and sometimes balloons. Sometimes order out lunch for someone. Stuff like that.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
We do bi-monthly Birthday Thursdays. It's an optional sign up deal in which different groups provide the food for the event. Each group is responsible for one BT feed a year. This sometimes gets competitive the result of which is some really decent eats.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Quit paying.

Don't show up to the event, find something else to work on.

I have an issue with people telling me that I need to pony up cash for some sort of 'forced fun'.

f that

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I had so much fun at work for my birthday last Friday! My coworkers trashed my desk, shot confetti poppers all over, took me out for lunch (on the company), and one of them made me a cheesecake. Also, the company gives everyone a card with $10 in it for their birthdays, so that was a fun treat too! I did have a dorky pic of me put up on the intranet too, with a birthday tiara. Fun birthday! :weee:

My coworker's 25th is next week, so we are taking her out, doing the cake thing, and covering her desk in quarters to mark her quarter century! :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Do you really want to get me started on birthdays???

We don't do anything. Generally, an e-mail goes around informing the office that it's so-and-so's birtday today. If people so choose, they whish them a happy b-day or whatever they feel is appropriate.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got a firm handshake from those who feigned giving a crap about mine. Made me all warm and fuzzy.

Thanks again for the "Happy B-Day Da Peach" thread BTW....oh wait...

Screw you guys.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My birthday is coming up shortly. Good thing it falls on a Sunday. I feel the same way about having people at the office celebrate my birthday as I do having the waiters at a restaurant dancing around clapping and singing happy birthday to me in front of everyone. :mad:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Da Peach said:
I got a firm handshake from those who feigned giving a crap about mine. Made me all warm and fuzzy.

Thanks again for the "Happy B-Day Da Peach" thread BTW....oh wait...

Screw you guys.
MMike sent a ton of PMs out saying don't start one it would embarrass you.