Quantcast

What's your wheel set and why?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm thinking it's a good idea to have a back up set for the race face aeffect set that will be coming on my bike, the most trouble free sets I've had have been Mavic but that's been a long time ago. I do like light weight but worry free is my top priority.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm guessing the $$$ isn't there to get a good set of wheels and have the Aeffects be your backups? I've never really liked the pre-builts through a lot of the big companies, they always seem to be to have relatively crappy hubs for the price.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm guessing the $$$ isn't there to get a good set of wheels and have the Aeffects be your backups? I've never really liked the pre-builts through a lot of the big companies, they always seem to be to have relatively crappy hubs for the price.
I have blown through all my mad money for awhile and still need to have back up rubber for the 27.5 wheels on the new bikes, so yeah - it will be a few months. The best set of wheels I'be had were pre-built Mavic Crossmax laced to XT Hubs, also had a set of first generation Mavic USTs that just went away with the Gary Fisher, also on XT hubs but built by a kick ass mechanic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Check out Dave's Speed Dream Wheels: http://speeddream.com/

I have had two wheelsets built by him. They have always been lighter and more durable than pre-built wheels at the same price point. I have put thousands upon thousands of miles on his wheels. Never had to turn a single nipple on any of them until I destroyed a rear rim on a rock. He deals mostly on the higher end but has a few less expensive builds that might be in your price range.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
LB 30mm crabon rim, DT revos, King hubs. . And why?

Because.....
This, cept mine are 29er Nextie on hope with something like comps or super-comps, cuz 29er.

Beat them for two seasons on my Spec Enduro, then de-laced and re-built for my 29er racing hardtail with some no-name fat hub.

These rims are not noodles, like aluminum.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Flow EX rims on DT240 Hubs (36POE star ratchet) with DT Supercomp spokes.

Light and robust without being crazy expensive, and no proprietary spokes.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Got Light Bicycles crabon wheels. $600 for a built set. Not a fan of the aero spokes. Broke a number of them and had rear wheel rebuilt with DB spokes.

Like 'em for their crabon stiffness.

I resemble this statement, $450ish for light bicycle's archaic 26in hoops on novatec hubs nothing fancy, pocketbook functional, . Over 3 years, close to 3000 miles broke more of the crappy aluminum nipples than aero spokes in the first 3 months, pulled the front and 6-7 nipples had sheared off internally swapped for dt swiss and brass nipples and no issues since. Both front and rear have 1-2in bulging cracks, setup tubeless since finding the first crack, surprisingly no issues yet and the wheels are still super straight.

would consider again, although I am currently lacing up some spank spikes to anecdotally confirm or deny my crabon perceptions. Curious if the ride feel is noticeably different between the two.

Last edited:
Stan’s ZTR Flow EX 'cause they came stock on the Tracer.

Rims have held up well for a year.

I don't like the noisy freewheel on the 3.30 HD hub and wouldn't mind instant engagement, so just might build another rear wheel whenever the hub I'm salivating over comes out of its prototype stage.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trail bike has Nox Teocali's laced to I9 Torch, best change I ever made to a bike.
29er has some 7 year old Arch on Hope Pro II's that have about 8000 miles on them.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Mavic XM319 laced to Fórmula/SRAM hubs (regular freehub) with DT Comp spokes, because It was the cheapest way to go to thru axles and bearings. The original wheels in my Rallón had the same rims/spokes laced to cheap deore hubs and I HATE the cup and cone concept. For hubs at least.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Update after thrashing my new Spank Spike 35s for a few months. Like the wide profile mated to archaic rubber (butcher 2.5s fitting for my luddite approved '13 Bandit) they definitely feel stiffer than my LBs, but that is more likely due to the cracks on those hoops that were blindly ignored until someone pointed them out. And they have a 2-3mm larger ID which probably contributes to my perception of stiffness.

All in all burly wheels that have seen near daily use since June and I see none of the worried denting from earlier models (could have been the oozys and not the spikes, but my google fu fails me).

Maybe I'm weird, but DT / Spank / LB / Mavic etc laced together competently give a stable platform for what matters more mainly tire choice. Maybe some of the uber poo flinging engineerds can disabuse me of this fallacy with fancy graphs and stale memes. Game on good sirs

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New XC set that I'll be building tonight hopefully.

Old nextie 30mm rim that's been on two bikes previous, revolution spokes, alloy nipples (will be anti-seizing the hell out of the nipples and spokes), DT swiss 240s rear hub, XTR M9010 front hub. Focus is XC riding/racing/endurance. 32 spokes 3x, about the lightest I would ever want to build wheels and expect them to hold up to my XC thrashing in races, which isn't far off from enduro-thrashing.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
LB 30 to I9 Torch with Sapim Lasers 32h 3x. Handbuilt by a friend. Have a second set of the same rims and spokes on Hope Pro2s. Super solid.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I built up my new to me Newmad with a set of Race Face Turbine wheels. (not the new R version..., the "old" ones)

largely my fault, but I put a pretty signficant "hop" in the rear wheel on my first ride. Tire burp + shock not set up right + meat huck = waste of money.

I got them off a buddy for cheap though, so I'll ride them till they die. Another friend managed to make it straight again, but it still hops.

I seem to have my shock set up better now, so they'll probably last forever...

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
New Mark 3 flows, hope pro4 hubs and DT comp spokes.

A big step up over the stock wheels and a lot wider and the price was right from chainreaction.

Just need to work out how to cut down of the noise from the rear hub

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
New XC set that I'll be building tonight hopefully.

Old nextie 30mm rim that's been on two bikes previous, revolution spokes, alloy nipples (will be anti-seizing the hell out of the nipples and spokes), DT swiss 240s rear hub, XTR M9010 front hub. Focus is XC riding/racing/endurance. 32 spokes 3x, about the lightest I would ever want to build wheels and expect them to hold up to my XC thrashing in races, which isn't far off from enduro-thrashing.
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but why even bother with alloy nips unless you just happen to have a stockpile?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but why even bother with alloy nips unless you just happen to have a stockpile?
For a few reasons

They do save a good deal of weight, 50g per wheel of rotating mass at the distal ends, 100g total.

To see if it can be done is another reason, I anti-seized the hell out of the nipple heads where it contacts the rim and the spoke threads.

I'm not totally against re-nippling the wheel every season or so.

My 90mm carbon fat rims have about 2.5 seasons of riding on them and they are doing just fine.