Quantcast

What's your wheel set and why?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The fine folks at Light Bicycle didn't know how to measure ERD either.
I chatted with them and questioning their numbers, and ended up measuring the old fashioned way and got correct lengths and spokes cut at my LBS. Build was smoothy.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
OK, I'll bite, what's wrong with the picture?
Most instructions and pictures I've seen measure distance between the ends of the nipples, not bottoms of the slots. Their reported ERDs are consistently 5-7mm shorter than measured and lead to too short spokes. Perhaps they do some additional stupid things but you just cannot trust the Nextie site when ordering spokes for their rims.

Most instructions and pictures I've seen measure distance between the ends of the nipples, not bottoms of the slots. Their reported ERDs are consistently 5-7mm shorter than measured and lead to too short spokes. Perhaps they do some additional stupid things but you just cannot trust the Nextie site when ordering spokes for their rims.
OK, I remain confused on a couple of counts.

Everything I found with Google measured to the bottom of the slot.

Slots tend to be about one mm deep, so with two of them, I fail to see where you're coming up with a 5-7 mm difference.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i bought my crabon rims from xiamencarbonspeed (open mold jobbers), used their ERD, and had no problems. and they've been OK the six times i've ridden them, even with like 12 psi.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm beginning to think my lack of wheel building skills and complete disregard for engineering principles have served me well...
Indeed, knowledge is detrimental to raw experience. I've just ruined (I hope) some future surprises today, finally finished my 2nd Nextie rim with dentist spokes and hub from @jonKranked. It should be a bullet proof rear wheel - crabon DH layup with asym drilled holes, 36 bladed spokes, brass nipples, Hadley hub, ghetto-split-tube tubeless and e13 TRS+ tire. All that's left is adding sealant and trimming excess tube.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Indeed, knowledge is detrimental to raw experience. I've just ruined (I hope) some future surprises today, finally finished my 2nd Nextie rim with dentist spokes and hub from @jonKranked. It should be a bullet proof rear wheel - crabon DH layup with asym drilled holes, 36 bladed spokes, brass nipples, Hadley hub, ghetto-split-tube tubeless and e13 TRS+ tire. All that's left is adding sealant and trimming excess tube.
I hope your beer didn't get warm during all this activity...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I ordered LB rims for two wheelsets.

I ordered spokes based on the ERD.

I build the wheels.

I rode my bike. 3+ years on one wheelset. I'm not sure how this was possible...

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
On my only current bike, which is a 150mm travel AM bike with 2.3 to 2.5” tires

ARC 30 rims.
Hope pro 4 hubs
DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8 spokes
Pro Lock brass nipples
32 spokes

Built them myself.
Hand built verse machine built makes a huge difference in longevity. If you need to buy cheap machine built wheels learn to throw them on a stand and retension the spokes after a couple first rides.

Why did I pick the components above? All parts picked as a mix of: Performance/durability/weight/cost/looks

I am 230lbs and have about 1500 hard bashing miles on this set and I keep putting them on the stand to true but have never had to. Not one loose spoke.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hand built verse machine built makes a huge difference in longevity. If you need to buy cheap machine built wheels learn to throw them on a stand and retension the spokes after a couple first rides.

Why did I pick the components above? All parts picked as a mix of: Performance/durability/weight/cost/looks
In my case, parts were picked based on their longevity vs price vs parts availability. And I couldn't agree more on the hand built part. Mine were done by the guy who builds the wheels of several members of the Argentinian BMX race team. A year and a half abusing them, and had barely to adjust a couple of nipples.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I resisted the urge to have my hardtail built with boost DOs, I have pretty big feet I like narrow Q factor cranks as my bike was going to see some ~60mile rides and that sucks on wide cranks.
650b wheels for a do it all hardtail.
Flow Mk3 rims
CX-Ray spokes
Syntace Hi Torque M hubs- Stupid light, have ACBs and preload adjust.
Brass nipps.

Weight was something like 1750g but I have gone to Cushcore and 1.3kg tyres as I stopped giving a fuck about weight and the bike is a lot more fun to ride because of it. Yeah it's not as quick in the boring bits but it's better in the fun sections and that's why I built my bike, for fun not KOMs.

I like the Stan's rims as they have a good amount of vertical compliance which is great on a hardtail, tried some taller rims a few years ago and couldn't keep my feet on the pedals through rough sections. I was tossing up between WTB Asym something and the Stan's and a friend's shop had the Flows on sale so I went that way, rather stupidly lubed the nipples against the recommendation of using low strength loc-tite and they did come loose quite quickly. Last wheel build on the old shitter I used shellac on the nipples as a thread locker and it worked pretty well, it also keeps the vegans away.