Quantcast

What's your wheel set and why?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So either my memory is bad, or on all of my recent (tubeless wheelsets), about 5 of them, there's a relatively large drop in spoke tension when you mount a tire and air it up, way bigger than anything I can remember in the years before (didn't build any wheels for about 5 years or so in between). I'm thinking tubeless wheels+tires where the tire fits so tight now that there's very little stretching and it causes the tube to push back on the rim some, squeezing it a bit. Maybe seems a little crazy, but when I get it to acceptable tension without a tire and tube (tube for setting the tubeless strip), then install, tension drops way off to below acceptable.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So either my memory is bad, or on all of my recent (tubeless wheelsets), about 5 of them, there's a relatively large drop in spoke tension when you mount a tire and air it up, way bigger than anything I can remember in the years before (didn't build any wheels for about 5 years or so in between). I'm thinking tubeless wheels+tires where the tire fits so tight now that there's very little stretching and it causes the tube to push back on the rim some, squeezing it a bit. Maybe seems a little crazy, but when I get it to acceptable tension without a tire and tube (tube for setting the tubeless strip), then install, tension drops way off to below acceptable.
Interesting observation. I guess I've never really verified tension after the tire was mounted outside of squeezing spokes to make sure they weren't loose. I always tension and true wheels with the tire off, mainly due to not having access to a stand that can accept a wheel with the tire mounted.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The wheelset I just built went on this.

If you enduro, cover your eyes.

01e3abfd2b6780a1027e2cf67c8b26a3f058872977s.jpg
01aaab298c346eab2cc673ab2acf64bcd1a1224c4e.jpg

Lime green crank protectors showed up today.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Took these pictures at "work" today. Work is a helicopter accident investigation class. This is a sprag clutch freewheel mechanism, like Onyx. This is so the helicopter's rotor can continue to spin if the engine seizes. Kind of cool if you haven't seen one of the hubs taken apart.
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Love the idea of the onyx. Not sure I can buy into the cost/benefit/weight scenario.

In my case, it would be purely "auditory" from a benefit point of view.

I'm about 100000000% sure the engagement won't be part of what I'd notice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Love the idea of the onyx. Not sure I can buy into the cost/benefit/weight scenario.

There appears to be an even better way to do it than sprag with ramps and bal l bearings that offers instant engagement and even better resistance to torque, but I don't have my notes available. I'm not sure if anyone's used this other freehub mech type in cycling.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I really like mine, but it's a difficult justification cost wise. King hubs are much lighter and I think there are exponentially decreasing ROIs on POEs. The onyx hub also has just a bit of tension build up, too. it's not like a normal hub where the engagement is instantaneous. there's just a bit of bite before you go.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm FFFFAAAAARRRR from needing any kind of real performance from a hub.

The main pleasure I get out of my current hub (race face turbine) is that is is quiet. My bike is nearly silent down a soft trail.

It is awesome.

Could it be more awesome? Onyx makes me think so.

But then I consider cost and weight, and figure I can just glob in a bit more grease and quiet things down...

I just picked up an X9 32h hub to have a stronger while built up for the rear. (Flow MKIII rim)

X9 hub will be quieter than the RF, Stans and Hope pro 2 hubs which I've had before.

For $45, I figure it will be a win.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've just ordered a 36H rim from Nextie for a 104poe Hadley.

Nextie contacted me if I was serious about the 36H. Apparently they are no longer rideabru.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm FFFFAAAAARRRR from needing any kind of real performance from a hub.

The main pleasure I get out of my current hub (race face turbine) is that is is quiet. My bike is nearly silent down a soft trail.

It is awesome.

Could it be more awesome? Onyx makes me think so.

But then I consider cost and weight, and figure I can just glob in a bit more grease and quiet things down...

I just picked up an X9 32h hub to have a stronger while built up for the rear. (Flow MKIII rim)

X9 hub will be quieter than the RF, Stans and Hope pro 2 hubs which I've had before.

For $45, I figure it will be a win.
the difference between the onyx and any other hub is pretty amazing in terms of sound. you don't notice it after a while, but as soon as you're on another hub it's like "whoa", this is obnoxious.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I'm running a set of DT Swiss XMC1200's on my 29er.

They are lovely & light. I fully expect the rims to be toast within 6 months, as carbon wheels just seem to hack it in the real world. As & when it happens i'll probably rebuild with some Arch Mk3's which have outlasted all the carbon wheels i've run in the last few years :)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A set of DTEX471 laced to 350s came up on PB. Dang. I just started getting my X9 laced to the flow MKIII rear...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'll get around to throwing this up in the classifieds, but I have BNIB stan's flow EX on the new stan's hubs with either/both cassette drivers for sale.
Since this thread is about wheels, I hope y'all don't mind the :spam:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Loving my M70 Enves on my Banshee. Night and day over the factory wheels.
Baller.

I'll be using my new cassette vice-grip-wrenche-dealio to mount up the ol cogset to this guy in the new year

Wideness has width. Garbage juice for scale

Not bad for $145.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ended up getting a set of these from Giant, total cost including cassette, discs, tires and tubes. $1,223 so I am happy. pretty sure they do not have baller hubs... but I have been told they have DT Swiss innards. Could also be Formula. Either way beyond my skill level to open them up and see.
View media item 3097
I decided not to upgrade the wheel set for the SB6, these will be my in season set for the hardtail as soon as I decide what rubber I am going to run in 2017. Then the studs will go on the OEM set which are the XCR1 model.

Last edited:

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
The bike I bought nearly 3 years ago came with DT M1700 Spline rims and hubs. I've thrashed them and while they've needed truing a few times I can't really fault them. The hubs have only 18 POE so while they're not ideal they're extremely quiet. I was quite hoping I would have trashed them by now so I could bang something sexy onto my bike. Flow MK3 with Hope 4's are cheap and decent.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've just ordered a 36H rim from Nextie for a 108poe Hadley.

Nextie contacted me if I was serious about the 36H. Apparently they are no longer rideabru.
Nextie's advertised ERD: 541mm
Actual measured ERD: 548mm

Not quite sure how they come up with those numbers

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Any of you have personal experience with Light Bicycles stuff? Internet blather so far seems mixed.
I have a set on my trail bike and beat them pretty well, they're still perfect. Ordered a pair of DH rims which I laced up over the winter for the DH bike. Saved around .5 lbs per wheel over the ex823s. Would totally bang.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have b
Any of you have personal experience with Light Bicycles stuff? Internet blather so far seems mixed.
I have broked one LB rim but liked them enough to replace with a newer, wider version.

Just be advised - solid rim strikes seem to be fairly fatal to these rims. Supported by numerous experiences of friends who have also cracked LB rims.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Quite a bit. Solid stuff. I have 90mm and 65mm LB rims. No complaints, good stuff. Can't see paying 3-4x for these like with Envy. I've had the 90s for more than 3 seasons now, built up the 65s back in the fall. I've also re-laced both rims, the 90s several times. Converted to an even wider hub a few weeks ago, re-spoked the 90s last season if I recall. Always blows me away how ultra-true you can get carbon rims...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have b

I have broked one LB rim but liked them enough to replace with a newer, wider version.

Just be advised - solid rim strikes seem to be fairly fatal to these rims. Supported by numerous experiences of friends who have also cracked LB rims.
I wouldn't run any rims where I'm getting solid rim strikes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm running a set of Stans Flow rims laced to King hubs. I am running them because I got them for a great price off of Craigslist. The stock 18pt engagement hubs that came on my Yeti were a bit of a downer after having ridden a Hadley for the past 10 years and that just so happened to be a problem the Kings solved.