Quantcast

Whats Your Winter Set Up-Bike and Clothes?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
For my bike I have a set of Nokian 296 studded tires. I plan on running them as soon as it starts freezing. They are pretty good on the hard pavement and in the snow to about 2 inches. Anything more than about 2 inches then I ride back roads that dont get much traffic.

For shoes I tried a cheap pair of high tops with SPD cleats and covers, that was a mistake. I ended up riding a little with some hiking boots and flat pedals. Currently looking at Lake Mxz300 shoes that seems to be the way to go.

Clothes-nothing fancy heavy poly pro tops and bottoms. I bought some wind proof Polartec pants that have been pretty decent. If the Polartec isnt windproof it doesnt work very well biking. I have a couple of Polartec Jackets that dont work well at all riding. Fortunately I have a Goretex Jacket thats a great windbreaker that I wear over the top. For the head I have a light balclava, however once it gets really cold I wear a thin windproof polartec cap, kind of looks like a snowboarder cap.

I have found going to REI and going through the outdoor active wear clothing to be the best deal, although I have gotten a couple of things at Performance. I dont worry about rain, since I dont plan on riding in it. I also havent ridden below 20 degrees. :)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
chicodude01 said:
My bike is the same, and as for clothes, a windbreaker and some long Underarmor pants. :thumb:

I think I could get by with that also down in Chico? For a winter challenge right after it snows drive to Magalia and off load your bike. Pedal from Magalia to Inskip and back through the snow. :)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Ah, yes...cold and wet (but not cold enough to be white). I'm moist w/ anticipation.:rolleyes:

For the trails, I swap my Roach knee/skins for my full-wrap Pryme pads. They mesh very well w/ my knickers and wool socks. I have an excellent Sugoi sub-zero full-sleeve w/ the thumb insert in the cuffs so my arms don't get cold. Usually a long-sleeve jersey over that and more often than not my garneau rain jacket w/ rear flap to cover my arse from the water/mud coming from my rear wheel. I tend to wear my FF helmet alot more for both warmth and visor makes it easier on rainy days.
The bike even gets a little something as I usually run my sks mudguard on the fork - keeps most of the junk out of my eyes.

Road bike is similar, aside from no armor. Bike gets fenders (sks race-blades are good easy on/off). I have several different types of poly-ish hoodies & a baclava for whatever it's like. Sugoi bosui pants are the shizz - rain resistant front and regular material on back...nice-n-warm. Same base top as for trails and a better rain jacket. If I can find them again, I ride w/ ff gloves...med thick ones for 'normal' days and I have my uber Pearl Izumi deep-winter gloves for the 2-3 days where it actually IS cold here.
On wetter days, I have booties that slip on over my smartwool socks and also some toe-covers for those extra-special days.

I'm not afraid of a little weather.:p

p.s. - it helps that I worked somewhere that I was able to buy a majority of my stuff at wholesale.:D
p.p.s. - I wish I still worked there - well, unless I get the job I'm going for now.*fingers crossed*

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Leopard Thong, used neon green one piece lycra Jump suit (Great Deal from a thrift store :blah: ), marge Simpson wig to keep my head warm, and ski goggles to keep mud out of my eyes.

I love the winter time.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Langer said:
Leopard Thong, used neon green one piece lycra Jump suit (Great Deal from a thrift store :blah: ), marge Simpson wig to keep my head warm, and ski goggles to keep mud out of my eyes.

I love the winter time.
That's it - everything has come full circle for me! I used to say that only Cops and gay dudes had mustaches. The leopard thong makes me wonder though... maybe there is more than coincidence behind my theory.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
great thing about living in the desert is the ground doesn't change! (in other words bike stays the same)

when its cold i ride really fast to keep warm and wear a sweatshirt and jeans. oh yeah and i put girly little gloves inside my biking gloves to keep the fingers warm

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Borregokid said:
I think I could get by with that also down in Chico? For a winter challenge right after it snows drive to Magalia and off load your bike. Pedal from Magalia to Inskip and back through the snow. :)

Whoa, how do you Know this area so well?

I dont live in chico, btw. I live in paradise

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
chicodude01 said:
Whoa, how do you Know this area so well?

I dont live in chico, btw. I live in paradise

I have relatives in Magalia. Last year I spent a little time there and tried to figure out if there were any mountain bike trails in the area. The local bike shop was no help. I tried Bidwell Park a couple of times-pretty rocky never had a great ride there. I did run a number of times on the road bike from Magalia to Inskip. That was a decent ride with some elevation gain. After getting a couple of miles up from Magalia on Skyway the traffic wasnt too bad. I even got to know all the potholes in the road. :)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Langer said:

I love the winter time.
Its too bad Renton doesnt have a K-Mart you would look exactly like about half the women that used to shop in the K-Mart. Hey you guys in Renton are ahead of the curve! I am looking for some new winter clothes-Renton is the place to go.

I know this is slightly off the topic, but since I started it. Has anyone ever seen a really attractive woman in a Walmart? :)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Borregokid said:
I have relatives in Magalia. Last year I spent a little time there and tried to figure out if there were any mountain bike trails in the area. The local bike shop was no help. I tried Bidwell Park a couple of times-pretty rocky never had a great ride there. I did run a number of times on the road bike from Magalia to Inskip. That was a decent ride with some elevation gain. After getting a couple of miles up from Magalia on Skyway the traffic wasnt too bad. I even got to know all the potholes in the road. :)

Bidwell is an aquired taste, but Its getting old. Which bike shop did you go to?

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Borregokid said:
I know this is slightly off the topic, but since I started it. Has anyone ever seen a really attractive woman in a Walmart? :)

Yes I have, but I am into the OBESE SEVEN CHILDREN GHETTO MOMMAS. hahahaha
Renton is better than Kent and Auburn though. We have less meth labs and crackheads. :eviltongu

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
chicodude01 said:
Well, cats are retarded. There's your explanation.
If you're expecting me to argue that point you will be disappointed.

They are more in tune w/ the planet than us mere mortals, though the whole earth's magnetic fields being out of alignment might also be playing some role in that.

I'll still be riding. :dancing:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
chicodude01 said:
Bidwell is an aquired taste, but Its getting old. Which bike shop did you go to?
I went to the one on the Skyway in Paradise. I also hit up a couple in Chico, including one that carried quite a few SC bikes. I thought of going back down there this year but the Downieville Race never happened-not sure why? Chico is a nice biking town. You might not get the cold weather we get, but I know you get a lot of rain there in Paradise and a bit less in Chico.