Quantcast

What's your work history?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Any chance it was Epic? Or Eddyline?
Lukes brewing company Epic, was always contract brewed at Steam brewing in Auckland, he didn't have his own plant and went out of business earlier this year.
I've not been down to Eddyline in Nelson, I don't know them beyond casual chat's to the boss on the trade only day at Beervana.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wish I had sold sperm. There was a brief time of about 18 months I was donating plasma to support my weed habit. That was not a good time and hardly profitable, but it worked.

For a brief period of time I fed myself by stealing food from the kitchen of a Sorority full of fat chicks. Probably could have accomplished the same goal with some sperm donation, but I didn't even want to talk to them. Wouldn't have even had to cook.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
  • I’ve been drawing and painting squiggly lines on rectangles for as long as I can remember.
  • Did a brief stint in high school where I rolled around in circles while spinning circles. They gave me a whistle to alert other circle spinners when they were going too fast!
  • Went to college to get better at drawing and painting squiggly lines, with the intention of teaching other people how to draw and paint squiggly lines.
  • Sold circles for a while, great job but I also smoked and drank too much Mountain Dew.
  • Glued squares to the floor, my back hated it but i did learn that manual labor ain’t for me.
  • Went back to school to learn how to make straight lines and shapes, and make sure they were aligned.
  • Drew both straight and squiggly lines for a long time. Really enjoyed this, and I seemed to be decently good at it. Drew lines for other people and under my own direction, found it was more lucrative when supervised but more fun without oversight.
  • Started typing curly brackets, but only so the straight and squiggly lines would show up on computers.
  • Told other people to type curly brackets for a while, hated that shit because they never listened.
  • Now I pretty much draw boxes connected with squiggly lines.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
*shrugs*

- first job was directing traffic at local apple orchard in 8th grade
- part time through high school worked at local golf course and driving range
- college worked retail at a few Dick's Sporting Goods locations, coworkers got me into riding bikes
- post college got into copy/print equipment sales, then pharma sales for a few years
- massive layoff in pharma had me working/wrenching at Diablo Freeride Park for a summer, rode downhill 4-5 days per week while collecting pharma severance
- back to real world, got a job in pathology lab sales, then went back to copier sales
- decided it would be a great idea to join the bike industry, got a job as an inside rep
- went from an inside rep to marketing/communications role... 11 years total in this circus of an industry

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
  • I’ve been drawing and painting squiggly lines on rectangles for as long as I can remember.
  • Did a brief stint in high school where I rolled around in circles while spinning circles. They gave me a whistle to alert other circle spinners when they were going too fast!
  • Went to college to get better at drawing and painting squiggly lines, with the intention of teaching other people how to draw and paint squiggly lines.
  • Sold circles for a while, great job but I also smoked and drank too much Mountain Dew.
  • Glued squares to the floor, my back hated it but i did learn that manual labor ain’t for me.
  • Went back to school to learn how to make straight lines and shapes, and make sure they were aligned.
  • Drew both straight and squiggly lines for a long time. Really enjoyed this, and I seemed to be decently good at it. Drew lines for other people and under my own direction, found it was more lucrative when supervised but more fun without oversight.
  • Started typing curly brackets, but only so the straight and squiggly lines would show up on computers.
  • Told other people to type curly brackets for a while, hated that shit because they never listened.
  • Now I pretty much draw boxes connected with squiggly lines.
I'd distract from the fact that I worked for IMBA too

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wow...years of therapy, both self intimated/driven and "professionally" led have led me to a similar point. And in all seriousness, the only true answer I can offer is something along these lines.

-Sometime in 1980-something. Started working for The Man because THEY told me to because I needed money to attract, entertain and retain the affections of the opposite sex and obtain a standard of living that is simply defined by acquisition and retention of consumer goods and services far and above a reasonable standard necessary for basic survival.

- Currently, same shit, different day.

Hope thats not too negative!

So yeah, theres that...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Starting as soon as I could hold them, so 7 or 8. I helped vaccinate and castrate baby pigs.
Since my dad didn't pay me and I was trying to get fancy bikes at 13 I started working at a wholesale plant nursery.
At 17 went to a landscaping company.
Summer I turned 20 landed my first internship with a seed company, was hoping to ride that one out after graduation, but Monsanto bought them and fired every one.
During my 5 years at Purdue I worked 3rd shift on Thursday, Friday & Saturday night at Jimmy Johns. We delivered on bikes, and the money was really good.
Last 2 years at school I worked in sales at a John Deere dealer in the summer and continued through school, (class til noon, hustle green in the afternoon)
Some how graduated with a piece of paper in Agriculture Economics and Ag Sales and Marketing.
Moved to Colorado and continued to sell John Deere.
Moved back home, still selling Deere.
Had enough of Deere, went to selling seed. Company was owned by DuPont, Dow bought Dupont. Let all Indiana and West sales staff go.
For some dumb fucking reason I went to selling insurance.
Gave that up and back to seed, hopefully for the last time.
Through out all (day) jobs I have always helped on the family farm, in the last 9 years I have taken over much of the management role.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Huh. Interesting answers. Also interesting is “how” some folks answer.

Had a paper route and did some farm work as a kid. Was a ymca camp counselor in high school for a year or two.

Started out “real work” in big corporate finance in the 90s via undergrad Internships in Asia Pacific mostly. There may have been some DoD $$$ thrown in at some point…

In the late 90s I moved to academia and spent a few years in Europe and N America trying to become a Professor. Mostly rode my bike a lot, drank a lot and enjoyed myself.

In the mid 2000s I gave up on academia and got involved in high-end metrology equipment. All aspects - design, manufacturing, administration, sales, marketing, service, etc. and, finally, leadership.

Wound up in Oregon somehow and in 2013 the wife and I made a few hundred cases of wine. Since then I’ve been ramping up the wine business and (trying my best to) wind down the metrology work.
Oh ya? You sell the wine? I’d try some

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Oh ya? You sell the wine? I’d try some
Your timing is perfect. The weather has finally cooled down enough for us to start shipping again. I’ll PM you some details.

Also, looks like the aftermarket bodyparts factory in your hood just placed another order. I figure install will be mid March. I bet the weather out there is great that time of year…

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
You’re timing is perfect. The weather has finally cooled down enough for us to start shipping again. I’ll PM you some details.

Also, looks like the aftermarket bodyparts factory in your hood just placed another order. I figure install will be mid March. I bet the weather out there is great that time of year…
:D
It’s a mixed bag. March can be really nice, or it can drive you to point of suicide.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Paper boy for years. That is probably what got me into riding bikes. Certainly helped my track stands…

-occasionally a Jr Bosun at the local yacht club
-dishwasher in the local cocaine fuelled bar/restaurant (never partook…)
-busboy at same
-town gardener
-painter on the university campus
-drove a CAT 777C dump truck for a summer (fun)
-loaded explosives in a coal mine for a summer
-drove around in a pickup looking at stuff in an iron mine for a winter
-crept around inspecting ground control installations in an underground mine for another winter. (Scary)
-data analyst at a logistics consulting firm
-buyer at an aerospace manufacturer
-heavy civil construction management for the last 20 years or so…

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Middle/High School:
Babysitter
Clerk in local general store
Administrative Assistant work in Local Law Firm

Then on to College to get my BA; BS and MS degrees
Bartender
Dorm security (college work-study)
New Hire Benefits Coordinator for the GE New Hire/Transfer Center temp. employee
Process Analyst GE New Hire/Transfer Center
Professional Musician (pit orchestra for Charles Wood Theater; substitute for local orchestras) - still happening

First "real job" with my teaching degrees
K-5 General Music & Band Teacher at Elmer Ave Elementary
4-8 Band Director for Schenectady City School District
4-12 Band Director for Corinth and Hadley Luzerne
Catechist Teacher (grades 3-8)
Private Lesson Instructor (on going)

Current Position: 7-12 Band Director, Department Instructional Leader and 5-12 Handbell Director; Field Hockey Coach (Modified & Varsity Assistant)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, I forgot that I get paid for playing music, too. still a thing. but I donate all I make or nearly all (if my wife also played and we needed babysitters, for instance) back to the group each year.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Cleaned motel rooms, kinda.
Worked at a campground.
Dishwasher.
Vacuum cars at a car dealer.
Machinist.
Toolmaker.
Operator.
Lead/ Swiss programmer, owners favorite employee.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
First job at a bike shop
Managing another bike shop
Started in the aftermarket auto parts industry at 19 (still doing this part time at 45)
Blank Media Sales to Movie Studios - Production Houses
Garage Door Repair
Electrician - Just enough to lean the trade, but never got the cert
Foreclosure Inspections
Office Manager at a Fire and Life Safety Company - Current
Small Biz Owner doing 3d Printing and Laser engraving (just this year, but its look promissing)