Quantcast

What's your worst Bike/Component Faillure??? Here's mine!!!

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
got a nice nokian tyre burn on my head tho, crappy waste a money tires, not that i paied for them but still...
dunno what would have been worse a 3" nokian or a hookworm...

I have broken my Enduro twice. Craked at the seatpost weld, fixed it, cracked it again. Blew my fox fork in march, still haven't fixed it. Blew my Fox rear shock. I'm getting an 03 Enduro pro Weds.

Also did this four days later.

Off a four foot drop. How embarrasing.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
94ish I broke the drop out off one side of a rigid fork, other side was cracked half way.
bent a crank arm when I caught a large log.
cracked a klein- I was using it for freeriding.
snapped 3 square taper BB's, 2 in 2 weeks, one a year later, stopped using square taper within a month.
ovalized a head tube on a bullit.
broke swing arm on bullit-lower drive side weld above bb, 2ft to flat at high speed, swing arm then twisted badly, cracked in about 5 other spots.
cracked front triangle on bullit, pre gussted front end.
snapped some handle bars, bent them casing a 25ft double, kept riding them, they felt different but not very much, 2 weeks later went down a steep rock with a drop at the bottom to flat, broke at the stem, got 14 stitches in my arm from a nail.
bent another pair of handle bars last year, obviously bent, replaced them right away.

fortunately I haven't had many catostrofic brakes

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Grizzle said:
That is a total manufacturing defect. If you look at the weld, there was no penetration to the lower piece of metal, just the upper one. Basically, the person doing the welding was not using a hot enough arc, probably because they were afraid of burning a hole in the aluminum. Its a pretty weld, but not an effectiv weld. Whenever i weld aluminum, i either weld it from both sides, or lay down two beads, one on top of the other, so that the weld is absolutely the strongest part of the tubing. If they did not cover that, i would never buy anything from them again, same with any company that will not cover a weld break.

youre exactly right, it was a weld defect that had little penetration. banshee is a sick company and replaced the front triangle with a new gusset added to the weld where it snapped.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Most of you probably already heard something about this but last summer of 04 the rails of my seat broke and burst through the seat, stabbing me on both inner thighs (when I say inner I mean inner, one was about 1-2cm from my goods).

This is basically what happened (but the rails/seatpost was initially removed from the seat and put back in for this picture). And yes, that's blood.

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
not really a mtb, but on a aluminum bmx i snapped all the rear dropouts, chainstays, all of it off. tire drove its way half way up my ass too.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Worst for me would have been the time i took the left leg off my z150.

second place would be when i snapped my fox shock's pumping rod in half.

third place goes to my cracked mag30

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Back in about '85 or so I flat bottomed off a big dirt jump and broke my bmx fork at the crown, basically my front end kept going and I bounced my face off the ground real hard. I can still taste that sweet mix of blood and dirt in my mouth...going back even further I remember breaking a "gooseneck" (also off a dirt jump) and slamming my chest into the busted stem like the other guy that posted...there have been a lot of things since but those two always come to mind when people ask about catastrophic failures...

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Here are my worst Frame/component Faillures:

1st was my AZONIC EVOLUTION , The Head-tube snapped off, when I only got 2' of air!!! :mad:

2nd was my HANE-STINK/ PLANET-X BOMMER set-up , The fork steerer bent after only 3 days of riding, and at the same ime ovalized the H-tube of the P-X. bommer!!! :angry:

3rd was when I cracked PROFILE steel cranks on my CLIFCAT TANKASS !!! :confused:

4th was my KHS FR2000 , which the rear disk side drop-out was ripped-off by the break when I was doing s rock-walk!!! :confused:

5th(and most recent) was when I ovalized the h-tube of the CLIFCAT TANKASS !!! :angry:

So, whats your worst failed bike/part(try to include pics. if you got them)??? :thumb:
Sh*t dude! My worst mishap is when I broke the rear dropout in half on my '03 Specialized P.1.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
1.) bent a set of cranks when I hit a dog while road riding.
2.) several broken handlebars, seats, derailleurs, and wheels.
3.) punchured a hole in my 888 in a rock garden.

not too bad, I'm lucky.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Heres Mattoid's carnage:

Snapped my hugi fr hub twice. Once the axel and once the hub body. (hurray for awesome cs and warranties!)
Sheered headtube off a rocky mtn flow
Snapped downtube on a 3 month old px jack flash (a big f you for a terrible warranty sevice)
crackedcrown and lowers on 2 DJ3s
and of course... countless small parts and wheel bits, overall not to bad. The Flow sheering in half was definatly my favorite. Weeee!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
motomike said:
1.) bent a set of cranks when I hit a dog while road riding.
2.) several broken handlebars, seats, derailleurs, and wheels.
3.) punchured a hole in my 888 in a rock garden.

not too bad, I'm lucky.
I've never seen you break anything Mike. Since obviously you do, why the false rumors, "ahhem Chris Bates ahhem"?

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
upper and lower swing arms on my straight 8. (wasted 1 upper,and 4 lowers) and them derailer hangers on the 8, or a yeti dh for that matter. all crap. but i guess thats how they keep ya buying them swing arms. they really need to make a break away hanger for them frames.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
norco-freerider said:
snapped the chainstays on my vps shore, then snapped my seat tube /main pivot weld on my scream a few months ago

I cracked my Foes Fly in the same spot.

I broke 7 Manatou Evert Es that manatou kept fixing.

Many 24" Rhino Lights

Many XT derailers

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005

This was on the slickrock trail at Moab. The biggest drop I've done is around 2 feet, and I'm about 210 pounds, so I'm not all that hard on frames.

On the bright side, it wasn't a particularly disastrous failure.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
man, how do you guys break all this **** so much? I thought I was hard on my stuff. But i mean cracking multiple uber-strong fork lowers and such, geez, you guys must case stuff really hard really frequently
________
CandyCox

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
gemini2k said:
man, how do you guys break all this **** so much? I thought I was hard on my stuff. But i mean cracking multiple uber-strong fork lowers and such, geez, you guys must case stuff really hard really frequently
werd! what the hell are you guys doing to break all of that stuff? didnt you know: dorps to falt r teh suxors...

cephas01

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
just recently i cased a drop, and bent the bottom tube on a full susser (can't remember the name of the frame since it wasn't technically mine, just a loner from my best friend, you can imagine how pissed he was) and in the same wreck i bent the stancions on a manitou x-vert double crown fork, in a previous accident, i destroyed the rear shock on my first mtb (it was a cephas fever 7.7, i used it for diciplines that the bike was not made for)

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
I broke my I-Drive on TV live at the start of an international XC race. This occured 200 meters after the start. My bolts sheared off the fox rear and drove it into the frame shearing off the air valves and cracking the seatmount. The replacement lasted two weeks. They owe me a frame going on 3 years now.
expensive lesson.

carbon seat posts.... i will say nadda.not a good storey before lunch. :dancing:

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
igxqrrl said:

This was on the slickrock trail at Moab. The biggest drop I've done is around 2 feet, and I'm about 210 pounds, so I'm not all that hard on frames.

On the bright side, it wasn't a particularly disastrous failure.
that is a wierd break. You are unlucky maybe.
That frame should not have broke on a 6 foot to flat. It is the seatmass and is strong. Just wierd.
sorry sis.

f2f4

Chimp
Apr 16, 2008
Central Jersey
Been through some hangars, couple seats (hardtail + hard landings = sore ass), tires... that's about it.

Of course that's from my pure XC days.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
quality thread to bring back up. i'll play along.
i snapped a Marzo DJII (first production year, when everybody was breaking the stanchions) on a rental bike at whistler. i ended up in the hospital with some massive injuries. it was only a small drop on schleyer, but i landed so wrong on my head. i ended up with a bunch of stitches in the face, a dislocated shoulder and i spent the following week sleeping 20 hours a day and drinking all my meals through a straw.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I cracked my headtube/top tube weld one of my first cheapy bmx bikes. Besides that, I've popped a few spokes and broke some pedals clean off the spindle.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
lets see i snapped a faith head tube,and broke a fox dhx in 2!, AND TODAY i cracked my pike! i have the worst luck ever!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
-Two sets of hussefelt ISIS cranks, and fsa 83mm BB still like new.
-Snapped in two an old xc frame that i used to jump a few year back 50/50ed a 10ft gap, and I was not wearing a helmet, lucky me i got only minor scuffs on the face.
-twisted boxxer lowers on a downhill hip jump (bad landing my fault)
- Opened a crack on my 06 haro zero-one riding stupid street stuff.
-couple of RST forks
-My old gt RTS-3 duaL SLALOM SUPERBIKE

partswhore

Chimp
Jan 6, 2008
this:

pic doesn't show it, but the main body had also started to separate from the coupling between it and the resi.
That's fairly common, steel springs will do that over time especially if over preloaded.

As for the body unscrewing...that also happens with those old Fox's checking to make sure they are tight every once in awhile keeps that problem at bay.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
broke my answer alumunite dh bars jumping a set of ten stairs on my hardtail :poster_oops: ive broken tons of bike stuff but this had the most potential of killing me