Quantcast

Wheeeeeeeeeelz

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
30mm front and 25mm rear are treating me real nice. I prefer a 2.4 rear tire.
20210403_173132.jpg

I'm a 2.5/2.5 guy.
Just swapped back from the 28mm reynolds at right to the 36mm at left.

The 28mm murdilated a brand new DD..... hence an old dh case on the 28mm and a wrecked dd on the 36mm... I ordered two replacements from CRC and they canceled on me.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yea, I gotta admit I don't get the whole super wide / massive tire thing.
On the 36mm internal casing is 2.495" and knobs 2.532"

On the 28mm internal casing is 2.320" and knobs 2.445"

So the casing grows 0.175" or 4.5mm
And the tread only 0.087" or just over 2mm

I was hoping to like the 28mm internal. But they will be for sale shortly.

I think a tire casing/rim combo are just right and provide best ride when the minimum pressure to prevent squirm, and to prevent impacts are relatively similar. I can run 27psi in a dd on a 36mm internal and never hit the rim, and the same 27psi is rim strike Palooza on the 28mm and needs to be 30psi and I still cut the bead. It works ok with a dh case at 27psi.
Going to try the 36mm again today.

And some how the 28mm rode rougher same pressure same case. I couldn't get my head around that....
But while pondering. As I often do..
At 30psi+-4 when a 180lb dude sits on the bike.
Wether the tire is rounded or squared the bottom of the tire flattens, the center knobs are depressed, the side knobs touch.
What's the ties unlaiden cross section radius have to do with the actual contact patch?? Likely not much?? Both of them are the same width when flattened...... .. . One the sidewalls go straight up one they taper in.
One the beads are close togeather the other they are spread apart.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On the 36mm internal casing is 2.495" and knobs 2.532"

On the 28mm internal casing is 2.320" and knobs 2.445"

So the casing grows 0.175" or 4.5mm
And the tread only 0.087" or just over 2mm

I was hoping to like the 28mm internal. But they will be for sale shortly.

I think a tire casing/rim combo are just right and provide best ride when the minimum pressure to prevent squirm, and to prevent impacts are relatively similar. I can run 27psi in a dd on a 36mm internal and never hit the rim, and the same 27psi is rim strike Palooza on the 28mm and needs to be 30psi and I still cut the bead. It works ok with a dh case at 27psi.
Going to try the 36mm again today.

And some how the 28mm rode rougher same pressure same case. I couldn't get my head around that....
But while pondering. As I often do..
At 30psi+-4 when a 180lb dude sits on the bike.
Wether the tire is rounded or squared the bottom of the tire flattens, the center knobs are depressed, the side knobs touch.
What's the ties unlaiden cross section radius have to do with the actual contact patch?? Likely not much?? Both of them are the same width when flattened...... .. . One the sidewalls go straight up one they taper in.
One the beads are close togeather the other they are spread apart.
well, i should clarify part of it is just tires over 2.5". why do they exist?

having a wider bead base (via the wider rim) is going to change the cross sectional profile to a less round profile. is that intended to reduce rim strikes?