Quantcast

Wheel Building

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You could probably get a small factory complete with child slaves for less than that thing.

It would be good for the kids too, coz each time they build a wheel they'll get that Zen feeling that rich white people get when they read a 6000 word essay on wheel building and proceed to build their first wheel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You could probably get a small factory complete with child slaves for less than that thing.

It would be good for the kids too, coz each time they build a wheel they'll get that Zen feeling that rich white people get when they read a 6000 word essay on wheel building and proceed to build their first wheel.
Do the kids get to drink small batch IPAs when they build wheels?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The first time I built a wheel with the Jobst Brandt book, I basically just looked at a few of the illustrations. I don’t think I actually read it until years later (and quit half-way through, it was pointless).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do the kids get to drink small batch IPAs when they build wheels?
I remember the first time we hit the brewery for lunch before building wheels at the LBS. Makes it much more challenging.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Shit, that was back in '90-'04, I didn't really ride Rockys until about 2006. I'll concur, they had some dogs. But so did just about everyone. I stopped riding them 07' to 2013, then I started getting 'offers I couldn't refuse' on them. The newer models really ride amazingly well.
Ir was them or Giant, and I haven't really loved how a Giant rode since maybe the AC!
Rocky has treated me really well over the years, period. As much as you don't like them. (Still not totally sure why? Ancient history?)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Still not totally sure why? Ancient history?
I know you and westy think everyone here lives 30 years ago but not only have the bikes obviously been designed for a very long time by people who obviously don't know what they're doing in terms of suspension kinematics and sound structural design, my biggest gripe was they tried to sue transition over patent infringement over a linkage driven single pivot....and not that long ago.

I only know about it because dave turner asked a bunch of us for old bike pictures to prove prior art. The transition guys were calling in some favors people...whom there are a lot of who'd built bikes with that basic concept. The REALLY shitty part was rocky wasn't even making bikes like that, and basing it off RM6/7/8 frames that they hadn't even made in 20ish years. They were just being dicks trying to get money out of transition.

Nowadays everyone just buys the same plastic shit from asia so I'm sure their bikes are no better or worse than anyone else's these days.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Oh, god, I used to build wheels in a near blackout state at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. Yes, the occasional wrong lacing, but they were still strong and true as fuck.
The real skill was waking up before the shop opened and fixing the glaring mistakes you made at 3AM.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I thought I could hear a wheel builders' drum circle chanting about a wheel failure on my bike last night.
Seems I dun fucked up, I never really did the final true on this wheel and now it needs all new spokes.
IMG_20230409_112702.jpg

The outside spokes didn't enjoy the shit build and maybe the lack of taper on the hub flange? All the inside spokes are fine but five or six outers cracked or broke.
One spoke that snapped managed to shoot up and poke a hole through my rim tape, and because I am lazy my tire spooge was almost dry and I got a flat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I notice a huge decrease in tension on a modern wheel when you mount a tire and air it up. Enough that it wouldn't be safe to ride, but it's theoretically "at tension" with the tire off...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I notice a huge decrease in tension on a modern wheel when you mount a tire and air it up. Enough that it wouldn't be safe to ride, but it's theoretically "at tension" with the tire off...
Wonder if CushCore would reduce it more? It would have to shrink a fair bit with 28Psi in the tire.
I'm not looking for something to blame, I'd just like to know how much the stuff shrinks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wonder if CushCore would reduce it more? It would have to shrink a fair bit with 28Psi in the tire.
I'm not looking for something to blame, I'd just like to know how much the stuff shrinks.
IDK, but ever since I noticed this, on my first carbon build, I see final truing on the bike (also to dish to align with the frame) with a tire installed as critical. I've built metal wheels since too. After doing that though, the wheel is solid and I seemingly never have to come back to it.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'm doing my second (and third and fourth) ever wheel builds for a new bike. Swapping over an Onyx hub from my previous bike and going to get a DT 350 front hub to go with some new FR 541 rims. Between the DT Swiss and Onyx sites, I get the following for spoke lengths:

Front wheel:
Left spoke length: 291.7
Right spoke length: 292.5

Rear Wheel
Drive Side: 291
Non Drive Side: 293

Most of the guidance that I've seen is to round down when between sizes, but I'm wondering if the front spokes can all be 292mm? Also, any recommendations on specific spokes and sources within the US?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm doing my second (and third and fourth) ever wheel builds for a new bike. Swapping over an Onyx hub from my previous bike and going to get a DT 350 front hub to go with some new FR 541 rims. Between the DT Swiss and Onyx sites, I get the following for spoke lengths:

Front wheel:

Rear Wheel

Most of the guidance that I've seen is to round down when between sizes, but I'm wondering if the front spokes can all be 292mm? Also, any recommendations on specific spokes and sources within the US?
what's the rim diameter and flange spacing on the front hub? you could probably get away with running all 292 on the front. but since you're already buying 291s for the rear..... meh?

i usually buy my spokes from https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/ when i'm doing a full build. and i typically get 2 or 3 extras per length (sometimes more if it will get me to a price break on a full box qty), just in case. that way i'll have them on hand if/when one needs replaced.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
what's the rim diameter and flange spacing on the front hub? you could probably get away with running all 292 on the front. but since you're already buying 291s for the rear..... meh?

i usually buy my spokes from https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/ when i'm doing a full build. and i typically get 2 or 3 extras per length (sometimes more if it will get me to a price break on a full box qty), just in case. that way i'll have them on hand if/when one needs replaced.
ERD=603mm
Flange Distance Left=28.2mm
Flange Distance Right=35.5mm

At least, that's what the DT Swiss site gives. 291 makes sense. Wasn't sure if it was better to round up by 0.3mm or round down by 0.7mm.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ERD=603mm
Flange Distance Left=28.2mm
Flange Distance Right=35.5mm

At least, that's what the DT Swiss site gives. 291 makes sense. Wasn't sure if it was better to round up by 0.3mm or round down by 0.7mm.
if it were me and i was ordering spokes for a new build, i'd round down.

if it were me and i was trying to hamfist something together with what's on hand and could only round up, i'd probably do it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I noticed using the new spokes seemed to deform the spoke holes enough to become sharp and the dt spokes I carefully specked were compromised during the rebuild. I feel like the eventual build was satisfactory. King hubs are not all they are made out to be. Special tools make them supercilious. You should be able to open your tool kit and adequately service your bike. Proprietary shit sucks...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Front wheel:

Rear Wheel

DT aerocomp $$$:rockout:
if you are doing 27.5 i might reccomend a HX581 for the front 35mm wide version of an ex511, its not made in 29 though.