Quantcast

Wheel compatability

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
Ok.. maybe stupid question, but are most wheelsets compatable with most bikes... for instance if I pickup a used Specialized bicycle for my wife, can I throw on a set of 24" rims to make it fit her better ??
what to look for when shopping for wheel sets? Hub size or what?

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I would say it depends on what you want to mix with what.

I changed out wheels on my first bike and didn’t have much of a problem. Though that was a year ago and I really didn’t know what I was doing.

I would take what you want to do to your local bike shop, and ask them. They will have the benefit of getting to see what you want to do and then help you get what you want.

As for throwing 24”s on there, do you just want to bike lower to the ground? Shouldn’t a problem, but you will loose 2” of ground clearance than if you just kept the 26” wheels.

But I would still say, just ask a bike shop.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I would say it depends on what you want to mix with what.

I changed out wheels on my first bike and didn’t have much of a problem. Though that was a year ago and I really didn’t know what I was doing.

I would take what you want to do to your local bike shop, and ask them. They will have the benefit of getting to see what you want to do and then help you get what you want.

As for throwing 24”s on there, do you just want to bike lower to the ground? Shouldn’t a problem, but you will loose 2” of ground clearance than if you just kept the 26” wheels.

But I would still say, just ask a bike shop.
Actually you'll only lose 1" of clearence with the same tires...